Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Salt Lake City , Utah
Leak behind showerhead ... should we buy??

Hi Everyone!
We are still in the hunt for our first trailer and found another (1976 Ambassador) that might be the one, BUT....
The plumbing has a leak behind the shower. I have heard that this kind of Fix in the bathroom can be pretty stressful. The current owner tried to fix it without any luck and had to paste back together a crack of fiberglass under the showerhead. I'd love some input if this could lead to a disaster, or if the fix is common. Also, the trailer does not come with a fridge and has a large scrap on the exterior on the main door side. He is asking $6100. Need some advice. The rest of the trailer looks fine and most plumbing has been redone. Need some wisdom!!
LucyP
LucyPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If you look at the cost of a new fridge and repairing the panel(s) it will put the price close to 10K or higher. Finding a refrigerator that will fit the opening will be almost impossible to do, so add some extra work for that as well. If the water leak has gone on for any time you will be looking at floor damage or maybe even frame damage especially if this is a rear bath unit. Condition of the axles is something else to consider in your equation as well.

Based on the limited information provided, I would say that the asking price is too high. You also have the risk of this turning into a project.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Lucy. A rough guide on values that is updated regularly is at Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values. A big skin patch? A fridge will go north of $1000. For some easy access fridge prices, see campingworld.com (though I wouldn't necessarily buy from them) and search on refrigerator. Look at a 6 cu ft or greater Dometic or Norcold price.

The shower mixing valve is notoriously sensitive to freezing if it was caught unwinterized in the past. That's supposed to be a tough fix, requiring removal of partition walls, the shower module and more. And the owner messed up the shower enclosure to boot? I'd agree with azflycaster -- you could put a long restoration into even these limited problems (not likely the end of the list either). You could easily put a 2-3 thousand into the earliest repairs and still have a tough time selling it for $6100.

Do you know that the air conditioner works? The owner would actually need to have a 30A outlet (or find a local campground?) and turn it on in warm weather. Don't use a 15A-30A adapter for this test.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Lucy,
We have a 1978 Ambassador. When we bought it 6 years ago it was in great shape but still put in another $5000 to get it to the pojnt where there were no problems. A frig is no big deal but can be expensive. You can drop over $1000 for one easily...we got a Dometic that fit right in. If the scrape is cosmetic and you can live with it than that's no big deal but if you want to fix it that can get pricey. The shower problem would have me walking away. That will be pricey and is not an easy do-it-yourself project, especially if the tub surround is damaged. As was previously mentioned, axle replacements would add several thousand dollars as well. If you really love the trailer I would offer somewhere in the neighborhood of $3500 or less. But that is ONLY if I felt the trailer was "the one". The price of an older trailer is the cheap part...the fixing up gets expensive, but when it is done it is really sweet.
Tom
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote