Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2003, 09:47 PM   #1
flush riveter

1967 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
kelso , Washington
Question leak at toilet base

While camping over the weekend ,we noticed a bit of water around the toilet base in our '69 OL Int. What would be the most likely source?Pressure water in,or flush water going out?Thanks,Len
bbwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 04:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
toilet leak

Hello .. we had the same problem with our 1976 tradewind.. the water just leaked occasionally.. the rv place said it was the ball valve and it has been replaced.. haven't had the chance to check it out but will before the end of the month.. Annie 1976
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 01:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
You could put a couple of drops of food coloring in half a bowl full of water, and figure it out in a minute.

So, it depends. If it's "used" water (to put it gently), it's probably the gasket between the toilet base and the tank. Actually, there are a couple of gaskets that could leak and mess you up. Replacement gaskets are available at your friendly RV dealer, but there are two different kinds of Thetfords, before 1985 and after 1985, so you'll basically need to take the toilet off and apart before you go get the new gaskets.

If it's "first time through" water, there are different options. Either the water inlet valve is leaking, or the internal vinyl hoses have basically died on you.

Mine was leaking clean water, and it turned out to be the hoses. You'll need about 6 feet of vinyl tubing and a pair of hose clamp pliers like these.

Don't even think about doing it without the pliers - trust me on this!

Don
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #4
KLK
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Wimberley , Texas
I’m glad I found your response.

Will you please tell me where the “water inlet valve” is?

I need to repair this (among other things).
Thank you.
Kim Koogle
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote