Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas
Japanese Airstreams

Decided to visit the Airstream dealer in Saitama Prefecture on Sunday. Wanted to show the wife what they looked like and I wanted to get an idea of what I may be getting myself into.

The only models available in Japan are the Flying Cloud 19`and 25` FB and 22` Sport.

The thing that shocked me the most was how narrow they are. The sales lady said that due to Japan`s narrow roads, models imported into Japan are narrower than in the US. First off, I`m 6`1" and weigh about 195 lbs, i.e., I`m somewhat skinny. I could barely fit between the bath and shower on the 25` FB. I have narrow shoulders and still had to move between them at an angle. The wife even had a little trouble getting through.

They didn`t have any brochures for 2010 yet, so I couldn`t determine just how much narrower they are compared to the US versions. The sales lady said 10cm, but I think it`s closer to 25cm.

The other problem I had was the shower. I stood in it but hit my head on the vent/light. Is this normal for my height?

Oh, and I should mention the cost. The 25`FB is selling for about $88,500 (8,000,000 yen) with the exchange rate taken into consideration.

Overall I was impressed with the fit and finish, but I could see where things could be improved.
Chikusho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:44 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Well the aristreams they are selling in Japan are the ones made by Airstream Europe- separate website and all. And yes they are narrower- so are the European models for sale. That is why so many people are exporting the vintage units- more charm- less price- same sizes- less weight! Here is the link- should have 2010 layouts on the website somewhere! Good luck! Stop by the Airstream Cafe in Tokyo if you want to see the vintage units!

Home | Airstream Europe : Home page, official Airstream website, UK, Germany, Holland, Europe, caravan, motorhome, alumapalooza
Old 12-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #3
_

. , .
the euro/asian units are 7.5 feet wide, while the LARGER modern usa units are 8.5 feet wide.

this translates to ~7 foot interior width or 8 ft interior width on the domestic units.

but withOUT slides and with the intrusion of over head storage, they all still feel narrow.

especially the longer units (in the closet/shower area) with bed/lounge at opposite ends,

because the center becomes a distinct 'hall way' like passage.

ALL the showers are height challenged because the shower floor is elevated 3 inches or so.

add to that the wheel well intrusion and the upper side radius which lead to most SITTING 4 showers

the legal limit for outside width in the usa is ~ 8.5 feet so the modern streams max this out.

but the lack of multiple slides, rounded shoulders and only 1 entry/exit door means...

they are relatively SMALL inside and compared to 5th wheels or class A mohos, feel narrow.

one simple exercise to realize the physical space is to draw a CHALK outline ~30 ft x 8 feet...

then mark/fill in the bed/galley/bath/closet/sofa/dinette and what's left is 'walking space'...

which is less than 60 sq feet in a 34.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Maybe try a vintage Tradewind with wet bath. I'm 6'-3" (not as skinny as I used to be) and find it roomy enough for me.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
I agree, try vintage but make sure it hasn't been stolen here in the US and shipped to Japan. A family here in Seattle, Wash. had there vintage 22 ft stolen from their backyard last year and has yet to be found. My guess it was on a container ship by the time they knew it was gone, filling a order for a vintage airstream somewhere.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas
I took a look at the European website. Their models appear to be very different from the Japanese models. The Japanese models had an American hitch with a reese setup, etc.
I sat in the 25FB, which I believe is the same model that Gene Crawford has. I think it was even the same year. That's the one that was very narrow between the toilet and shower. The sales lady said that the American version is 10 cm wider, but I think it is closer to 30 cm which is about a foot wider. I can imagine how much wider a foot would add to the width.

As for the shower, I guess sitting down is the only option.

I forgot to mention that after I stepped up through the entrance I looked back and realized that I didn't hit my head, but like a lot of people on here, I'm sure I will. I also laid down on the bed and it was somewhat comfortable, but I think the forward facing bed of the 27FB would be better.

I like the idea of chalking an outline on the street. Does anyone know where I can get the interior layout specs for a 34' and 27FB? It would be a great idea so that the wife and I can compare the layouts.

I have lived in Tokyo for over nine years and have never heard of the Airstream Cafe in Tokyo nor have I ever seen an Airstream on the roads. The wife has never seen one either. As a matter of fact, I bought a Buell XB12 in 2007 and up until then I had never seen one on the roads. After I bought one I think I saw maybe three in the two years that I had it. Buell is now out of business which in hindsight makes sense.

I'll ask around about the Airstream Cafe, since there is no such thing as a telephone book here.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikusho! View Post
I have lived in Tokyo for over nine years and have never heard of the Airstream Cafe in Tokyo nor have I ever seen an Airstream on the roads. The wife has never seen one either. As a matter of fact, I bought a Buell XB12 in 2007 and up until then I had never seen one on the roads. After I bought one I think I saw maybe three in the two years that I had it. Buell is now out of business which in hindsight makes sense.

I'll ask around about the Airstream Cafe, since there is no such thing as a telephone book here.
airstreamcafe.jp/index

I have come across photos of a bunch of vintage airstreams set up in a courtyard in Japan as well- but at the moment can't think of where those might be at on the internet.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

The trailers that are sold to Japan are built specifically for Japan requirements.Not AEU trailers
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:04 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas
I suspected they were. I think the only difference I could see was the rear reflectors and how much narrower they are. I`m sure that the electrical system is different too.

There is a camping place out in Ibaraki Prefecture that has three 2001 34 footers that can be rented, i.e., slept in. However, to get there would cost $100 round trip via train and almost $200 per night. I may eventually stay a night, but right now I can`t afford it.

Thanks for the link.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #10
_

. , .
it might help those offering advice to review your game plan here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...one-54965.html

the floor plans for many years are on the a/s company website.

the bed dimensions are usually shown, not much else.

but the pics are VERY close to exact proportions.

i'm sure we can provide some of the basics (dinette, sofa, counter, halls) for any specific floor plan.

i'll post here some of the interior bits for the standard 34 classic in a few days.

most (all) of the units on your radar are 8.5 feet wide,

unless you find a late 80s early 90s unit in the 8 foot width (pre wide body)

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:01 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas
My game plan hasn`t changed. I still intend to full-time in California.

I`m still on the fence with regard to size. I prefer the 27FB over the 34`, but when it comes to money I may not have a choice. I`m not opposed to the 34`, I just think it will be a lot more difficult to sell if we need to sell it, i.e., money problems. I`m not crazy about buying a diesel truck either, especially with all of the problems that I have read on this forum, not to mention the price of diesel and how full economy has gone down with all of the environmental regulations.

Can`t say that the wife is crazy about it, but I`m doing my best to convince her that we would only be in one full-time while I`m in graduate school.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:44 PM   #12
_

. , .
Quote:
My game plan hasn`t changed. I still intend to full-time in California...
actually the message was for others to review your plans...

since several of the suggestions involve airstreams IN japan.

there is a member here, carol (wheel interested) who has a 27 fb classic for sale, it's a very nice trailer.

the safari/flying cloud 27 fb is basically the same floor plan, with different materials and trim.

they're both about 25 foot x 8 foot INSIDE, i'm sure carol would forward you MORE pics if you're interested and contact her.

it's a nice floor plan for folks who like it, but the closet space is ~3 linear feet.

which is not a lot for 2 adults living full time.

of course there's space under the bed and small closets (10 inches) on each side of the bed too.

there isn't a great place for a crib/baby bed, but the dinette or side lounge could be modified.

cheers
2air'

Old 12-22-2009, 01:30 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas
Sorry about that. I assumed the message was for me.

Basically we are moving back to the states with the clothes on our backs so space isn't going to be a problem, at least at first. We are planning to be a digital as possible. I bought a Kindle and have gotten rid of all of my books.

If you have some time, I would appreciate some interior measurements of your 34'.

Kiana can either sleep with us or on the lounge bed. Carol uploaded some high resolution photos. Does anyone have the interior specs for the 27FB? I'd still like to chalk the road so that we can do a walk through.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
My game plan hasn`t changed. I still intend to full-time in California.

I`m still on the fence with regard to size. I prefer the 27FB over the 34`, but when it comes to money I may not have a choice. I`m not opposed to the 34`, I just think it will be a lot more difficult to sell if we need to sell it, i.e., money problems. I`m not crazy about buying a diesel truck either, especially with all of the problems that I have read on this forum, not to mention the price of diesel and how full economy has gone down with all of the environmental regulations.

Can`t say that the wife is crazy about it, but I`m doing my best to convince her that we would only be in one full-time while I`m in graduate school.
If money is an issue you should be aware that used 34 footers sell for less than the 25's & 27 footers. So you can get more for less when it comes to Airstreams.

While many of us use a diesel for towing. You can tow any Airstream even a 34 footer with any gas powered truck. For the 34 I'd suggest a 3/4 ton truck.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #15
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3streams View Post
Well the aristreams they are selling in Japan are the ones made by Airstream Europe- separate website and all.
It's my belief that the European units are made in Jackson Center, OH. I say that because I saw two of them being assembled there on the plant tour I took recently (November).

Lower bodies, "handles" on the front and back, a much longer "A" frame, that had a handbrake on the permanently attached wheel on the power jack. Apparently, the European owners are used to pushing their TTs around to park them.

Sorry if this is off-topic, with regards to the OP's plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
If money is an issue you should be aware that used 34 footers sell for less than the 25's & 27 footers. So you can get more for less when it comes to Airstreams.
I agree completely with this statement, and would also say that buying a new unit and then selling if you decide to return to Japan would result in you losing a significant amount of money disappearing in depreciation.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #16
_

. , .
Quote:
...If you have some time, I would appreciate some interior measurements of your 34'...I'd still like to chalk the road so that we can do a walk through.
here are the basic interior measurements for the 34.

the back half is essentially the same on a 31 and there is overlap with other models in the classic series.

essentially ALL 34s built in the widebody series will be the same (except for twin bed or front kitchen models.

34 slides have a tiny bit LONGER bath/lav area and the galley on the curbside typically.

IF u have a floorplan you can fill in these figures from the rear forward.

-overall interior shell space 31'x8'

1. bedroom space 8'x8', with a 74x54 BOX under the mattress.

mattress is a standard "rv queen" these are ~54"x74"

side closets (blouse/shirt length) are 31"x14" one on each side

floor space AROUND bed/box is ~15" wide. (i walk sideways around the bed)

2. "lav/shower module" is 6'x44", shower interior is 39"x28" and sink counter 36"x18", toilet space is 40"x22"

open STANDING floor space in lav module is ~22"x22"

3. closet module is 6'x29" with 4.5'x26" inside hanging and ~10" drawers stacked at the rear end.

4. this leaves ~6' x 2' of open floor HALL space.

5. NARROW POINT is at the fridge/shower at ~19" wide.

6. "galley module" is 8'x25", this is sink/countertops/range/oven and cabinetry.

7. fridge is 27" wide and 3' deep (for the 10cf model)

8. dinette space is 76"x42" overall, table is 26"x42" and sleeping space is 72"x40"

9. open FLOOR space between dinette and galley is ~ 8'x26 with 36" width right in front of fridge/microwave

10. over head lockers are ~14" deep leaving ~ 4' of head/shoulder space WIDTH in the galley.

11. front lounge OPEN space is ~6'x7'

12. sofa is 38"x74" with arms that extend the width to 8'.

13. credenza/flip up table ENCLOSURES are ~8" wide on each side with SHORT 'cabinet' (next to stove) at ~2'x2'x29" tall.

14. entry door is 65"x26" and approx standard opening for ALL modern streams.

15. standing interior height is ~79" with 76" under the a/c and at each interior DOOR.

that's pretty much everything.

the ideal place to mark out the dimensions would be INSIDE an enclosed garage/shed

where 2 walls (side/end) can provide more of an encapsulated feel.

or along an exterior building WALL which can serve as the street side wall.

still the walks/floor space and layout can be chalked up anywhere.

good luck

cheers
2air'

Old 12-24-2009, 06:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Carol uploaded some high resolution photos. Does anyone have the interior specs for the 27FB? I'd still like to chalk the road so that we can do a walk through.
I will try to follow 2Air's form in listing the measurements of the 27' this coming weekend. He did a stellar job on specifying the 34' measurements.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:28 PM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A good used diesel truck won't set you back as much as you think. I got my [then] three-year old diesel for WAAY less than half of new retail as it had high miles, man-trans and 2wd. Economy is outstanding: I haven't been below 23 mpg the last 4-mos/12k miles (mainly highway). The 305/555 motor Dodge is impressive, and there are no maintenance problems. (On the other hand, it is a long, heavy truck; so the trade-off is noticeable solo). I had a 34' trailer and it was easy to live with once one understood that the rig is at 63' overall. Backing no problem at all in most instances. One is simply patient with oneself until experience accrues.

We prefer a rear bedroom set-up to make two living areas. Trailer size irrelevant to this want/need. Personally, I'd avoid anything with a slide, and .. were I looking for a 34', I'd look for year models approx 1982-1994 as price and condition can be very good.

Here was one that looked so good that I saved it. Rear bedroom, L-shape lounge, stove to "rear" of kitchen, etc. Cosmetics (floor and furniture coverings) are easily changed:

http://vi.ebaydesc.com/ebaymotors/ws...ht_5295wt_1265
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Full time when you are a student, where do you plan to park?
California is not easy to just park and live?
good luck! sit on the toilet when you shower no big deal, we do not have a shower and love our gal. OUr last rig had the toilet shower and nothing is perfect.
Good luck with all of your dreams and plans.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:50 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas
Gail,

I see that you're located in Malibu, maybe we could just park it on the beach behind you.

I've looked at the rv parks in the SF area and rent for most of them is around $7-900 a month. More than we want to spend, but we may not have a choice, hence, the 27FB idea. I figure if my plans don't turn out the way I hope, it would be easier to sell an FB than a 34. Our plans aren't written into stone so things may change once when we get there.

I need to take a few classes at SF state and then apply to the Pharmacy programs within California, my first choice is UCSF, but may have to settle on one of the others. My wife is Japanese and it would be much easier for her to find a job in California than in, for example, Kansas.

Rednax, thanks for the link. Nice, too bad it's been sold.