Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2021, 07:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Sanford , Florida
Is this toilet bowl cleaner safe to use?

I have been using these toilet bowl cleaner in our 2018 30' bunk for a little while, and then someone told me they were probably too harsh for the plastic holding tank. They are really convenient, and I miss being able to use them vs the traditional brush and cleaner bottle. What do you all think?

https://www.amazon.com/Clorox-Toilet...7&rdc=1&sr=8-5

Thanks,
David
dwe8922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:37 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I doubt if that will harm your plastic tank.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:15 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Denver , North Carolina
In my humble opinion and remember your mileage may vary. Bleach can make plastic a little brittle. My larger concern would be that you might be killing the good bacteria that is composting your solid waste. I use these at home but there is a lot more water that runs through the bowl. I have seen strong bleach solution make a diagnostic instrument fall apart.
mbubbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Pour vinegar into the bowl, and let sit for.several hours. Great for hard water calcium deposits. And your whole trailer smells like salad!
Old 10-13-2021, 05:40 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard 👍

Nothing harsh...not so much the tank but its the seals on the flush valve that can poop out.
To clean the bowl I put on the cloves and wipe with a Tub-o-towel,(one of the handiest things you can carry in the AS).

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-13-2021, 06:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Gloves/clorox wipe. Have both in the trailer anyway. When done, wipe goes into gloves, gloves get tossed. Don’t need to carry a toilet-cleaning implement or solution…
Old 10-13-2021, 11:39 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB International
Charlotte , NC
I use a toilet brush cleaner with a brush but I love the idea of not carrying a brush! I have used a bleach cleaner on everything for 3 years with no problems but if the seals do fail (in the toilet) can’t they be changed out? The bleach would be diluted? Doubt it would harm the tank since many people use it regularly and after seeing the durability of that black tank ( visited Jackson Center)…. No way I’m cleaning that with gloves!!!😩
VDR928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:41 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
I use the same cleaner as you posted the link for and was also concerned about killing the bacteria in the black tank. Now I use these but coordinate the use to just prior to dumping the black tank. Haven't observed any ill effects on the toilet valve or seals in our 2020 27'
solomon.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Spray the bowl with Pam after cleaning, it will keep the solids from sticking. I've done this with aircraft toilets for years.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon.m View Post
I use the same cleaner as you posted the link for and was also concerned about killing the bacteria in the black tank. Now I use these but coordinate the use to just prior to dumping the black tank. Haven't observed any ill effects on the toilet valve or seals in our 2020 27'
Same here, I just clean toilet then dump. I think the sponge scrubber is probably easier on the seal then a regular toilet brush besides doing a much better job of scrubbing.
Note; I do have a ceramic toilet.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:08 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Sanford , Florida
Now that you say that, it was the seals that they were concerned about with the toilet and clorox type cleaners (and less so the tanks). It was one of the techs that I spoke to at Airstream. When I asked what to use, he said something from an RV store, or a natural toiletbowl cleaner. I searched and couldn't find anything RV specific, so I ended up buying a Seventh Generation Toilet cleaner that is plant based with no chlorine. I don't think I'm going to be able to get my wife to use gloves and wipes.....

https://www.seventhgeneration.com/toilet-bowl-cleaner

Our 30' bunk has macerator pump system, so I don't know how the seal arrangement varies from the tradition toilet over the tank system most Airstreams use. I'm not a huge fan due to the complexity. It stopped working on us one time mid trip, but luckily it was just a fuse. Had it been the motor, that would have been a pain as I don't think you can do anything but replace it to get you going again. Do any of you carry a spare or have a workaround solution if a macerator pump system fails?

Thanks,

David
dwe8922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:10 AM   #12
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
We tried those wands with the disposable pads, but I found that they can scratch the plastic. And then you have the pad to dispose of.

We have two methods to deal with the toilet when things don't go down cleanly. The first is to give a spritz with a 'safe for plastic' generic bathroom cleaner and let things sit for a few minutes. Then flush again. If that doesn't do the trick, we carry a bottle brush in a slightly cut open 1-litre soda bottle. Its small size makes it the perfect fit for cleaning the lower section of the toilet.

Unfortunately, having to deal with toilets and black tanks is part of RV life. No way to get around it totally.

BTW, there is no need to be concerned with killing the 'good' bacteria in your black tank. The black tank on an RV is just a holding tank, not a septic tank where you're accomplishing much bacterial breakdown since the contents are emptied regularly.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:30 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
1972 27' Overlander
Wakefield , Rhode Island
I use this to clean everything. It's a very good cleaner.

Only need to carry one bottle of cleaner. It does everything quite well. I use a kitchen dish mop for cleaning the toilet bowl without scratching or damaging the seal.

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-Aqua...%2C176&sr=8-10
msimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:41 AM   #14
ntsbltsrvits

2015 27' FB International
2016 30' International
Eagle , Idaho
It’s fine to use

Clorox makes many non bleach cleaners such as this one. Bleach is the enemy of plastic and plastic bits. Can can degrade plastic and it becomes brittle and will break. This is fine to use.
As for the good enzymes and bacteria in your tank, they will not be neutralized by this small amount of cleaner. If they were maybe it might have less odor.
Cowbell is offline   Reply With Quote