Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Union , Kentucky
Send a message via AIM to Joe1261 Send a message via Yahoo to Joe1261
Holes In the Bathtub

In my 73 Soverian (rear Bath) I found two holes in the bottom of my bathtub. One hole is about 2 inches by 2 inches and the other is about 1 inch by 2 inches.

I was going to get a fiberglass repair kit from the Auto Parts store.

Would this be the best way to reapir it? Or should I get fiberglass cloth and redo the whole bottom of the bathtub?

Any help I would greatly appreciate!!!!!!

thanks

Joe
Old 03-30-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
A couple of ideas
1.For the best:the best repair remove the tub so you can work from the back/bottom
2.Fiberglass cloth is stronger and easier to work with than fiberglass matting
3.Backing the hole with plywood is stronger than without it
4.Epoxy resin is stronger than polyester but harder to work with
5.smooth over a piece of wax paper for a smooth finish
6.The tub should be PBS plastic
7. consider refinishing the tub with an epoxy paint such as "Tough as Tile". YOu will only need a pint.
8.If you take shortcuts and they don't work you can go back later and do it right.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
First I would try to determine what caused the holes in the first place. Is the tub made of polyester resin and cloth as mine in my 1961 Safari? Is it unsupported underneath? Polyester resin gets a bit brittle with age .. 34 years on yours. Epoxy resin resists cracking or breaking better than polyester because it is stronger and retains some flexibility after it hardens. I agree that it would be best to remove the tub to patch the holes from the outside with cloth and resin. I would then sand the entire bottom of the tub and add an additional layer of fiberglass cloth, 6 to 8 oz, and coat with epoxy. Colors can be added to epoxy resin to match or coat your entire tub. System Three Epoxy has a great mint white that I used on my tub. I have used epoxy resin for many years and have found it to be more forgiving than polyester and to provide a great surface.
Wear latex or rubber gloves when using epoxy.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Union , Kentucky
Send a message via AIM to Joe1261 Send a message via Yahoo to Joe1261
Thank you for the advice I think I will have to redo my entire tub. But I have a few more questions if you dont mind.

How hard is it to take the whole tub out?

You recommended that I use System Three Epoxiy. Where can I get this stuff. and is there a certain one that I should use?

I really love this site I have learned so much from it so far and I want to thank everyone for thier help .
Old 04-01-2007, 06:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I mentioned System Three because I have had good luck with their product, like the prices, seem to always have what I need, and send a very complete "how to" book with each order. They also have a technical support line. Try Welcome to System Three.com - Epoxy Resin Products or 1-800-333-5514 and ask for a catalog. I'm sure that other brands of resin would work as well.

I know that epoxy and glass cloth will work on a fiberglass tub, but I'm not sure of the construction of your particular tub. Please double check with someone who knows your tub to be sure that an epoxy repair is compatable. There are a few materials that epoxy will not stick to.

As for tub removal I would bet that your '73 is designed much different than my '61. Once again, check with someone who knows your trailer. Hopefully someone here on the forums can walk you through that process. I think that my tub probably could not have been removed without first removing the bathroom counter and sink.
Good luck with your project!
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote