Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2022, 12:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Exterior SHOWER... Convenient Off Grid Camping

We used this shower with our 2006 23 foot Safari. The photo was July 2008 in Wyoming.

For the floor I used from Lowe's a 36"x36" work rubber mat that the Shower Tent sat upon. The shower was secured with pegs. It also helped to keep secure with one person using it. Two people... on a very windy day to make it interesting.

The trailer's Outside Shower was used and it extended into the Tent. This was an Ozark Trail Model WMT-3535N Multi Purpose Room (3.5 feet x 3.5 feet x 86 inches tall). It came with all the hardware and a carrying bag.

The last photo shows the Trailer in the distance. If you are worried about showering and someone may pass by... send me a photo of yourself and I will tell you if I would stop to look.

It was very convenient. One of our Blue Heelers found it also comfortable.

Jumping into the River was refreshing in 50 degree water. Did that once. You can shrivel up like a Spider on a Hot Stove... and wish you had not... is all I recall. I might have passed out.

Thus the outdoor shower and warmer in the Sun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0248.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	426.7 KB
ID:	410066   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0247.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	428.5 KB
ID:	410067  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0250.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	410068  
Old 01-03-2022, 01:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
We used this shower with our 2006 23 foot Safari. The photo was July 2008 in Wyoming.

For the floor I used from Lowe's a 36"x36" work rubber mat that the Shower Tent sat upon. The shower was secured with pegs. It also helped to keep secure with one person using it. Two people... on a very windy day to make it interesting.

An Outside Shower was used and it extended into the Tent. This was an Ozark Trail Model WMT-3535N Multi Purpose Room (3.5 feet x 3.5 feet x 86 inches tall). It came with all the hardware and a carrying bag.

The last photo shows the Trailer in the distance. If you are worried about showering and someone may pass by... send me a photo of yourself and I will tell you if I would stop to look.

It was very convenient. One of our Blue Heelers found it also comfortable.

Jumping into the River was refreshing in 50 degree water. Did that once. You can shrivel up like a Spider on a Hot Stove... and wish you had not... is all I recall. I might have passed out.

Thus the outdoor shower and warmer in the Sun.
GASP!!!!! How are you containing all that GRAY WATER?

Imagine how the gray water collection folks would react if they stopped to think about how much dish soap they put in their lawn when the wash their cars in the driveway.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I have been using Powdered Water... showering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
GASP!!!!! How are you containing all that GRAY WATER?

Imagine how the gray water collection folks would react if they stopped to think about how much dish soap they put in their lawn when the wash their cars in the driveway.
I have been using concentrated Powdered Water in this shower.

Wyoming has been conserving snow runoff for a number of years. Freeze dried to reduce weight and instructions on 'what to do with it' when the package arrives.

We, personally, have been supporters for over 20 years of Wyoming Powdered Water, from the Powder River Basin. Our Powdered Water is light, does not spoil and costs less than a gallon of Diesel Fuel. Environmentally friendly.

Cowboys know how to conserve. We also like to Sell Cow Patties through the mail, by the dozen. We do use powdered water to make them, as well. 100% all natural ingredients and vacuum sealed eatable packaging.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
This reminds me of a thread over on the TDI forum that went on for years about “Blinker Fluid” for turn signals.

But seriously, that tent is a great idea. We use our outdoor shower all the time to rinse off after kayaking in the Sound. It would be a nice idea to wrap that activity up with a tent.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I use an almost identical outside shower tent. It doubles as a generator tent, when necessary.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Airstream Forums mobile app

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
We’ve used our outdoor shower to do dishes in a bucket. This is quite helpful when boondocking to help keep the gray tank from filling up.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:14 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bettendorf , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
We’ve used our outdoor shower to do dishes in a bucket. This is quite helpful when boondocking to help keep the gray tank from filling up.
I’m confused… if you do your dishes outside to avoid the gray tank from filling while Boondocking… what is the difference between that and just emptying the gray tank on the ground? Amount of water in 1 location?
Rltports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Tell me Why Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rltports View Post
I’m confused… if you do your dishes outside to avoid the gray tank from filling while Boondocking… what is the difference between that and just emptying the gray tank on the ground? Amount of water in 1 location?

I am not confused.. We have a plastic pan in the sink. We wash dishes and toss the Grey Water outside into the grass, a bush or down a gopher hole. So....?

- I enjoy peeing on trees when Off the Grid. Ahhhh....

- I enjoy taking my shovel, taking the advice of the Forest Service, and dig a Cat Hole for Solids... Even a Bear and Cattle understand.

- Bucketing Grey Water out of the Grey Tank... what is the confusion in remote locations?

- What do Tent Campers and Hikers do? Carry Tots of Black and Grey Water across the Appalachians, Ozarks and Rocky Mountains.

- When no shovel... while hiking... roll a boulder over and 'bombs away'. We pack out the toilet paper. Don't believe me... if we meet in the woods, can I give it to you to check out?

I do not confuse smart disposal. I lived as a youngster without plumbing and an outside privy. We even had a compose pile for vegetable matter for the garden. Imagine that... in the National Forest Service cabin.

I am concerned about City Slicker Women peeing near a pullout and toss their wads of toilet paper as if it will vaporize. I pick these CS messes up as I am responsible. They Crap where they want. So do my dogs. At a parking lot or pullout human feces and toilet paper wipes... I have my shovel and fling the dried feces to scatter and pick up soiled toilet paper and butt wipes.

Do not confuse SMART OFF THE GRID BOONDOCKING PROCEDURES with people who pee and crap where they please and drive off. This is the problem.

Imagine an Airstream Owner understanding Tent Owners... camping together. Responsible OTGers and Fisherman and Hunters... know. Fools make everyone look bad... as THEY DO NOT CARE.

When traffic is backed up for hours on an Interstate... watch. Learn. Do not prejudge smart campers.

We do not defecate into our Black Tank. We bag and have a bucket with a sealed lid and dispose of in the trash. We pick up after our Blue Heelers when in public areas... and other dogs messes is in my way.

Ahhhhhh.... this conversation is why we do not mind solitude and peace Boondocking. Too many Ignorant Self Serving People making judgments that are totally off base... as they are those WE have to pick up after.

Thank you... If you wear a suit and tie camping... stay away from us. I am naked with some leaves...

Please leave this post up for a little bit. I had to stay... calm... sort of.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Moab Colorado Float Trip... GROOVER

Come and gather around the campfire while 15 people are doing a float trip down the Colorado River for a week... or more.

Lots of eating and refreshments. Ahhhhh...

Then... uhhhhh. Where is the Toilet? The Groover... is now your Throne.

The Groover is for Solid Waste. Put paper butt wipes into the bag. Ahhhh...

The Goosey Floaters... are shocked. It also takes two volunteers to carry the Groover back onto the rubber raft when moving camp. Pee in the bushes... pack the toilet paper.

Oh... you will overcome that queasy uncomfortable use of the Groover... oh, yes you will. Otherwise... don't try to sit behind a large boulder... they will find you. If a Float Company let everyone use or not use the Groover... they would be put out of business, quickly. The next group is a day behind you. The National Park System knows thousands make this... adventure.

For some a tough transition. For us... Boring... but it was with a Colorado School of Mines group we knew and could talk Geology and Powell's first trip and a trip of a guy who fell into the Colorado River before 1869 and floated out.. without much clothes, as he had to trade clothing for food from some small Indian Groups camped along the river.

When the water is low, the Raft Crew goose the motor on the 'rapids' to make it a bit more exciting. The water is four to five feet deep... shallow during the dry season of the year.

John W. Powell gets the credit for the first trip... the earlier trip was in a small paper from a St. Louis Academy (I had the paper, sold it and cannot refer to it as the Moab Rafters offered me a price I could not refuse.) This is ignored... but not by me.

We had on a two week Wyoming Adventure some that needed showers every day for Off the Grid Boondock campsites. They were always needing a dump station.

...this was roughing it to some. The Moab Float Trip may catch some off guard. There is no privacy among friends... or strangers.

Being SMART is not being a CRITIC who thinks a Colorado Float Trip is dangerous and makes you a Daniel Boone adventurer. It is for CITY PEOPLE who spent a week or more in a tent and using a Groover.

One man's wife was petrified. She got into the water with a life jacket and began to float away at 3mph and freaked out. It took hours to calm her down. Oh... boy. So be aware of this if you plan this trip. That was the most interesting part of the trip.

Advice from me: You do not want to Boondock Off the Grid with US. There are no public restrooms. Bear come towards the smell of morning bacon grease scent in the air. You will need a shovel. A boulder turned over. Toss out Grey water. If you have a full tank Black Water... you need to stay at RV Parks.

Boondocking is exactly that. Many people cannot figure it out... So have to add Off the Grid... and people cannot figure that out. If you have to live RV Resort mode in the forest, desert or on the Colorado River Float Trip... don't. People will be upfront and giving you some attitude. This is not for everyone. Seriously.

If you want to get Ray's ear's ringing and pulse up... be stupid, where stupid can hurt you. Do not hike a trail eating a Bacon Sandwich when you see fresh bear tracks in the half inch of snow... Really. You also do not want Nancy or I to tell 'bedtime stories' after Sunset. You will wish you had not...

Grizz is out there. Maybe a black bear in New Mexico... but it will get into your Airstream and eat you quietly.... (: No Groover, needed.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:23 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Seneca , South Carolina
Exterior SHOWER... Convenient Off Grid Camping

I bought this shower curtain rod that attaches to the outside around where my outdoor shower hook up is. I was skeptical about if this would work but it works great. Check it out

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I uses suction cups and they stick great to the aluminum and breaks down for storage easily.
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 03:01 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
SEATTLE , WA
As a tall guy tired of shoe-horning into our Airstream's vertically challenged shower, I have been planning to set up some kind of outdoor enclosure as shown (great suggestion Eddie B) for longer boondocking trips.

My only question - is there an issue with soap, shampoo etc splashing on and affecting that beautiful aluminum exterior of our Airstream?
bcheever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 02:56 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1985 32' Excella
Valley Village , California
Outdoor shower tent

That is a great set-up! I added an outside shower on our '85, but have yet to be able to use it for a full shower. Thanks for the pics!
danjoe91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 11:02 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Showering... I don't need no Stinkin' Shower OTG Boondocking

How often do we Shower 'IN the Trailer' while Off the Grid and not at a RV Park or a Parking Lot in a Town... NOT VERY OFTEN, if EVEN at all.

How often do we Shower 'Outside of the Trailer', while Off the Grid and Not at a RV Park or a Parking Lot in a Town... Once... when we break camp and return to what civilization considers... Normal in the City, but not in remote towns. ...and this is a maybe, at best.

Gawkers... must really have nothing else to do when in the Boonies. Hate to disappoint.

Three weeks is a short time to plan To Shower that far ahead. Maybe... or maybe not? Miss a week, or two... so....? You will survive. Nobody will stand too close to you when in line at a cashier at Albertsons, will they?

...gives me goosebumps all over, just thinking about it.

When we are in Remote Locations... showering is the least of our concerns. In the morning taking some cold water in the face and a dry towel... is Ohhhh weeeee great.

The only Bottled Water I may have is a Budweiser for me. Great for washing your face and hair if it has gone flat. Oh... yes. Try it.

We have been with people who change their clothes every day, shower every morning and evening... when splitting limestone slabs at a Fossil Quarry in Wyoming. These fish have been dead for 40,000,000 years. You only smell dead... for a short time in your life. You stinker....

We have traveled with others to Remote Locations, where the same 'clean people' do the same and are always in need of a Dump Station and fresh water due to being clean as a whistle, when they do not own a whistle.

Tent Campers... poor slobs we were. Airstream and Oliver Campers... poorer slobs we are.

Now in an Airstream and an Oliver II, clean clothing, showering daily and clean socks and underwear is the NORM? Not for us.

I opt for having natural oil for a healthy skin... no lotions, no skin creams, no laxatives for us, as well. Just our Natural Oils without perfume. Insects and Grizzly... beware. We are not Stinkin' Tourists... we are Neanderthals with two Blue Heelers.

In the Rockies... just having a towel is the number one need when wet.

Your Fresh Water in the Trailer is for Drinking and washing dishes. Although, we use paper plates often and have two Human Bean plates as options. Depends... if we are itchy or not. I do not need to rub against a tree or rock outcrop because my skin is dry. I could catch fire... if too close to a lit match.

What is the Moral of this Story? When near a clear running river or lake... jump in, shrivel up like a Spider on a HOT Stove... and count those heart beats. Refreshing for once... and no hot water needed. Just possible medical attention... at worse.

First... you made it this far, great.
Second... this next Off the Grid camping is go in clean, and exit clean. What you do in between... is being a Natural Human Bean that stinks like one. Keeps the wild beasts away and after a few days... Who Cares Anyways.

Welcome to the real Boondocking habitat. You are among the Beasts of the Forest and Prairie... Grrrrrr.
Old 03-20-2022, 11:15 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
What I like about using groovers on float trips is you can put them where they have really great views.
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 11:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Moab, Utah Float Trip down the Grooving Colorado gunky River

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1 View Post
What I like about using groovers on float trips is you can put them where they have really great views.
My 'really great views roosting upon the groover' was the canvas tent material, rubbing against my nose and the other side of the tent, on my backside. The Groover may have been 'the Throne to Some', but to me a message to eat less high protein food on the trip.

When people see the magazine advertising of Smiling Faces eating lots of Food on a Beach in a narrow Colorado River Canyon... they do not show the Tent with the Groover and any faces, at all, upon exiting.

This gives some several options, when Off the Grid in the Desert...

A 'Five Gallon White Bucket with a Toilet Seat screwed on top... OR a Shovel, short hike and a plastic bag for any paper used, if any. Hmmmm...