Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Does the toilet dump directly into the tank?

We have moved into the trailer during our home remodel, and the sensor still shows 1/8 full in the black water tank.

We have never filled the black water tank too full, but the gray water has gotten pushed to the limit several times, and more than once water has gurgled up into the shower stall.

We have been showering in the house to conserve gray water tank space, and Anne-Marie has been doing dishes and general cleaning in the trailer. To keep from over filling the gray water tank Anne-Marie has been dumping dishwater and any general cleaning water down the toilet.

The question is does the toilet have an “S” trap as conventional toilets, or does it dump directly into the tank? I never paid any attention, but the water level seems to be at the top of where the top of the tank should be. This could be because of a “S” trap, or we are on the verge of an unpleasant experience?

Thank you
Steve
darlingbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by darlingbooks View Post

We have moved into the trailer during our home remodel, and the sensor still shows 1/8 full in the black water tank.

We have never filled the black water tank too full, but the gray water has gotten pushed to the limit several times, and more than once water has gurgled up into the shower stall.

We have been showering in the house to conserve gray water tank space, and Anne-Marie has been doing dishes and general cleaning in the trailer. To keep from over filling the gray water tank Anne-Marie has been dumping dishwater and any general cleaning water down the toilet.

The question is does the toilet have an “S” trap as conventional toilets, or does it dump directly into the tank? I never paid any attention, but the water level seems to be at the top of where the top of the tank should be. This could be because of a “S” trap, or we are on the verge of an unpleasant experience?

Thank you
Steve

Not mine.... No S-Trap, just a straight shot. You might want to pull the handle before something unpleasant is experienced...

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
There is no s-trap to the black water tank...it goes directly into the tank. Sounds like it's time to dump the black water! Your sensor probably need to be recalibrated...or replaced.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
Plays with old toys

1979 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Toronto , Ontario
Straight shot down.

The path your toilet takes may depend on the model but for the "La toilette" replacement in my '79 mid-bath Sovereign offers a straight shot down to the tank.

Before you are too concerned about an overful tank however, open the flush flap and see if there might just be some blockage you can easily clear with a stick.

We've had a similar experience (even though we're now connected to septic on our seasonal site) with the tank seeming full when it was not. A plunger seemed uneffective at clearing any blockage. On our model at least, occasionally toilet paper will clump and clog at the toilet-to-tank base, but it's easily cleared out with flushing water and a handy length of flexible tree branch.
'75 Chevy Silverado, '65 Chevy Sting Ray Convertible
Click for Photo album
pauluptime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
First, I think that RV tank level gauges are notoriously troublesome and unreliable - even the newer high tech ones in our recent model Airstreams.

Secondly, our experience has been like yours with the tank sizes on the AS, the gray water tank seems to fill in just a couple of days even if we are very careful in conserving water when showering. The black water tank seems to go on for ever! Mind you in our case, I have always established a rule about only using it for peeing!

To the best of my knowledge, all RV toilets dump directly into the toilet, so a peek down the glory hole while holding the bowl slide valve open is likely the most reliable indicator of when the tank is getting near full!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:52 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Our options are, to take an hour or so to unhook from the home connections and go to the county park and pay $8.00 to dump the tanks, or call A-1 Septic service, and for $35.00 he can drop by tomorrow before 3:00PM.

I just talked to the A-1 Septic guy, and he will come by tomorrow.

Being cautious on one system caused a near overflow with the other.

I checked the sensors, and the tanks need to be empty to recalibrate, so I’ll do that tomorrow.

Thank you all for the advice

Thank you
Steve
Old 07-20-2009, 05:14 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
tampa , Florida
Why don't you dump your gray tank on your lawn? Also, if the remodel work includes some plumbing you might want to consider adding a 3" cleanout in the sanitary main in the yard where you can dump your black tank.
kstampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
The shop and parking area for the trailer sit at about 12 feet lower in elevation than the house. The remodel is taking place in the inside of the house. I would have to dig up the sewer line and splice in a “Y” and add a cement enclosed sewer dump station for the trailer, and that would be a great idea, but if the house sale goes through, we gotta be gone by Sept 10, 2009.

Today we had a lot of things schudeled with the handy guy, outside painters arriving, and needing assignments. I have had tools listed on Craigs List, with people coming by to look. Packaging and mailing radio and networking stuff off, from Ebay sales. I painted the kitchen ceiling this morning and cutting a hole in the wall to check out the project of moving the stove vent up the wall 4 inches and over 1 inch with a stud in the way.

Some days the time just zings by, and in the end I have no feeling of accomplishment.

Glen came by today with his big white truck, and vacuumed the tanks dry, and insisted on doing a good rinse of the black water tank.

Tomorrow, we are heading to Portland OR, a 1 ½ hour drive to visit Lowes and Home Depot to buy kitchen cabinets.

Sunday we are heading out for Utah to deliver furniture to our daughter, so the black water tank will get mixed up a bit.

Seven weeks till moving and only six are available for working on the house, kitchen, 3 rooms to paint, 1000sq ft of laminate flooring to install and trim throughout the house, and I think that I can do it.

Steve