Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2022, 09:35 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Cassette toilets

With all the recent talk about different Class B's some one brought up the cassette toilet. A cassette, portable or composting toilet is a total non starter for us. It's a shame as some of these Class B's are really nice looking but they decided to add a cassette toilet.

I'm not sure why they're going this route. Is it to save some money on plumbing, for space reasons or have they done some research and found out that consumers actually want this.

I know that these are very popular in Europe and have many places set up to dump these. However, I don't see this in the states and have seen some YouTube videos of people dumping these in restrooms. This really grosses me out and I wouldn't want to see someone in a restroom trying to dump one of these around me.

What are your thoughts on these?
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:56 AM   #2
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I'm going to guess that part of the reason is the sheer simplicity of cassette toilets. Little to no fresh water plumbing, and no black tank plumbing. No need for a full-hookup site or dealing with dump hoses.

There are also many people who have class B RVs who try and not use their toilets for anything but emergency situations. For them this would be a great option - trade off the slight inconvenience of having to carry the cassette to dump it for the recovered space which is freed up with no black tank or plumbing as well as the simplified plumbing system.

I've seen them used, and the dumping process is no more gross than connecting a traditional black tank to a dump station. I'd rather stand in a toilet stall emptying a cassette toilet tank than some of the dump stations I've been to. There are apparently also adapters that can be used to dump cassette toilets into a standard campground dump station with virtually no odor escaping.

Guess that for some people they are better than other options for putting a toilet in a very small RV.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 11:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
For those who have or end up with a cassette toilet, this newly offered product seems to be a good solution for US RV parks with standard hookups: https://www.amazon.com/Americanizer-...s%2C140&sr=8-1. There is also a video about the development of the device:

I have no financial interest, but just think this device seems like a simple solution to a possibly messy problem.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 11:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
When we looked at the Bowlus Road Chief, they pushed the cassette toilet as a cleaner, easier alternative to the “stinky slinky” traditional sewer hose. While I see some of the benefits and the flexibility offered by the cassette, you’ve still got to dump it in a sanitary way. I hear people say that they dump them in public toilets at campgrounds or highway rest areas. This doesn’t sound any more sanitary or less stinky to me, and it sounds like it has a high risk of splashing.

I have nothing against the cassette but I also have no issue with the traditional sewer hose.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 11:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
When we looked at the Bowlus Road Chief, they pushed the cassette toilet as a cleaner, easier alternative to the “stinky slinky” traditional sewer hose. While I see some of the benefits and the flexibility offered by the cassette, you’ve still got to dump it in a sanitary way. I hear people say that they dump them in public toilets at campgrounds or highway rest areas. This doesn’t sound any more sanitary or less stinky to me, and it sounds like it has a high risk of splashing.

I have nothing against the cassette but I also have no issue with the traditional sewer hose.
Ditto!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 01:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I used a cassette style toilet (it was the Dometic Curve) in my trailer for several trips while I was in the process of renovating it. I found it to be very convenient, especially since I had not installed all the tanks and plumbing yet. We were camping at RV parks with facilities, so showering and deep meditation were done in the campground bathrooms, and the cassette toilet was only used for "emergency" urination in the middle of the night.

My waste tank has a pipe that rotates out, and a button you can press that lets the tank breathe so that it doesn't burp and slosh as it drains. That being said, I prefer to pour it down the clean-out in my yard, as opposed to dumping it down my household toilet--less chance of a splash and a mess to clean up.

Most RV parks I have stayed at have signs in the restrooms pleading with users not to dump portable toilets in their restrooms--probably because of the probability of a mess being created, and then left behind. Similarly, they usually have requirements that the sewer connections at each site be attached via hose or other mechanism that should prevent a spill, or a stink. So if you are playing by the rules, it is not easy to find a place to dump a cassette toilet, except at your own residence.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
Similarly, they usually have requirements that the sewer connections at each site be attached via hose or other mechanism that should prevent a spill, or a stink. So if you are playing by the rules, it is not easy to find a place to dump a cassette toilet, except at your own residence.
That is the beauty of the little device I posted about above. It makes a direct, tight connection with a standard hose (slinky) so the cassette can be emptied very much like a blackwater tank.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:43 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
We also like the "Curve", have put them in 3 reno's. #1- price. #2-flexibilty of use/disposal.#3- Ability to reconfigure trailer. In our '68 we have eliminated the rear bath and made it a bedroom with a door (snoring anyone). Now it has kitchen sink, Curve stores in closet when not in use, outside shower. We've done multi-month stints in Ariz. with ease (for us). We acknowlege not everyone would be up for this plan.
Good luck, Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 10:02 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Have one. Absolutely fantastic if you boondock. Fantastic for stopping on your way back from your adventures and not having to deal with a partial tank of poo when you get home.

I would be hard pressed to buy a unit without one.
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 10:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I've had a couple on small boats.
They worked great.
Yes, you separate the top and bottom and carry the bottom like a suitcase to a toilet.
Keep in mind that toilets flush by adding water, so it's not like the bowl fills up, it's draining as fast as you pour.
Admittedly, it's not pretty, but it's functional.
The most memorable trip we took, someone, ahem, used it too much and the liquid in the bottom rose above the gasket into the top. Now you can't separate them. I spent an hour with a turkey baster removing liquid and putting it in a jug.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 10:27 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Lol and Yuk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I've had a couple on small boats.
They worked great.
Yes, you separate the top and bottom and carry the bottom like a suitcase to a toilet.
Keep in mind that toilets flush by adding water, so it's not like the bowl fills up, it's draining as fast as you pour.
The most memorable trip we took, someone, ahem, used it too much and the liquid in the bottom rose above the gasket into the top. Now you can't separate them. I spent an hour with a turkey baster removing liquid and putting it in a jug.
Old 08-25-2022, 11:01 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
The part that I have trouble believing is that there won’t be any splashing or dripping especially when swirling it around trying to get everything out on top of a toilet no matter how careful you are. Especially in a tight toilet stall. There is one video that I watched and sure while probably extreme makes me cringe. It didn’t seem sanitary to me one bit!

I think that one would create some issues for the next person trying to use it. Even if they did cleanup after themselves is not likely that they’re carrying any Clorox bleach wipes to sanitize the area and not fair for everyone else or even staff that cleans up. How many things get touched while in the process too?

I get that adapter for campsites and makes sense but how many will attempt to dump these in toilets while on the road when filled. I would rather deal with a dump hose than trying to empty a cassette toilet.
Old 08-25-2022, 11:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
[QUOTE=Mollysdad;2625275]I've had a couple on small boats.
They worked great.
The most memorable trip we took, someone, ahem, used it too much and the liquid in the bottom rose above the gasket into the top. Now you can't separate them. I spent an hour with a turkey baster removing liquid and putting it in a jug.[/QUOTE]

Was that before or after Thanksgiving? Not for me...one of the reasons for having an AS or any TT with black and gray tanks.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 08-25-2022, 12:11 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
It’s really not a big deal. Isn’t a big mess creating activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StogieMan View Post
The part that I have trouble believing is that there won’t be any splashing or dripping especially when swirling it around trying to get everything out on top of a toilet no matter how careful you are. Especially in a tight toilet stall. There is one video that I watched and sure while probably extreme makes me cringe. It didn’t seem sanitary to me one bit!

I think that one would create some issues for the next person trying to use it. Even if they did cleanup after themselves is not likely that they’re carrying any Clorox bleach wipes to sanitize the area and not fair for everyone else or even staff that cleans up. How many things get touched while in the process too?

I get that adapter for campsites and makes sense but how many will attempt to dump these in toilets while on the road when filled. I would rather deal with a dump hose than trying to empty a cassette toilet.
Old 08-26-2022, 09:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post

Neither is "dumping", IMHO...once you have your system routine down. Plus your not carrying "crap" around in a container. Thats why I have a AS for the convenience of holding several days of black/gray water when traveling, camping, and boondocking. Been there with the "cassette" type tank in my early days of tent camping with the kids in our van, and also with a "popup" travel trailer....ever been in a rainstorm with a full cassette and the kids have to go #2?
Old 08-26-2022, 09:53 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
Greetings from Spain! We are on a European caravan with 8 other Airstreamers. We were all a bit concerned about no black tank and a cassette toilet. Our grey is also fairly small and fresh is not gigantic. But it is actually fairly clean and no where near our admittedly naive expectations.

I would do it in the US if available in a small rig, class B like we are all renting here. We dump grey with a ball valve that dumps out the bottom of the rig. You drive over a drain or sometimes a grassy area. The cassette has a few variations but I have never used a sink or inside toilet. There are stations with a little hose and drain, usually with a flush. Same chemical packet so it is strong when compared to the content volume. One place even had a cassette cleaning vending machine. Put it in full, 2 euros and it comes out clean.

It is different here. A campsite has electric only. We fill the fresh with a watering can. It may sound strange but it is part of our daily routine. All of it takes 10 minutes. Campsite setup takes less than 5 with no water softeners, hoses, flushes, small power cords.
Old 08-26-2022, 11:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post
My problem is that my judgement of the cassette toilet has been jarred by this video.

Old 08-26-2022, 12:41 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
So In other words, I’m right and you’re wrong.

The op was looking for opinions on cassette toilets. I like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Neither is "dumping", IMHO...once you have your system routine down. Plus your not carrying "crap" around in a container. Thats why I have a AS for the convenience of holding several days of black/gray water when traveling, camping, and boondocking. Been there with the "cassette" type tank in my early days of tent camping with the kids in our van, and also with a "popup" travel trailer....ever been in a rainstorm with a full cassette and the kids have to go #2?
Old 08-26-2022, 01:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Was that before or after Thanksgiving?
I think I had the turkey baster on the boat to add water to the batteries. Needless to say, it went in the trash.
The water is blue, so you aren't knocking things out of the way.
I know people think it's a mess, but in the real world it's not that bad.
It doesn't splash because the toilet flushes by itself while you add the goods.
Did I enjoy it? No, but when you gotta go, the cassette toilet is a godsend.

On our smallest boat, there wasn't really much headroom inside. So when you sat of the throne, your head was out the hatch. I remember a lovely evening near Ft. Meyers with my head out the hatch and chatting with people strolling down the dock. I assume they had no idea.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 02:11 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Awesome. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I think I had the turkey baster on the boat to add water to the batteries. Needless to say, it went in the trash.
The water is blue, so you aren't knocking things out of the way.
I know people think it's a mess, but in the real world it's not that bad.
It doesn't splash because the toilet flushes by itself while you add the goods.
Did I enjoy it? No, but when you gotta go, the cassette toilet is a godsend.

On our smallest boat, there wasn't really much headroom inside. So when you sat of the throne, your head was out the hatch. I remember a lovely evening near Ft. Meyers with my head out the hatch and chatting with people strolling down the dock. I assume they had no idea.