Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2022, 09:23 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post
So In other words, I’m right and you’re wrong.

The op was looking for opinions on cassette toilets. I like them.
Not saying anyone is "right or wrong"; just preference...."what ever floats your boat" (or cassette) was my point....given preference, I go with the majority who own travel trailers...black tanks and gray tanks work great, last longer between dumps, and can go a week or more without having to empty, typically.

Try camping a week with a "cassette toilet" if you boondock without any facilities..."what you goanna do" out in the desert or at a beach or in the mountains each day when you need to empty the cassette...burry it??
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 10:16 AM   #22
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Not saying anyone is "right or wrong"; just preference...."what ever floats your boat" (or cassette) was my point....given preference, I go with the majority who own travel trailers...black tanks and gray tanks work great, last longer between dumps, and can go a week or more without having to empty, typically.

Try camping a week with a "cassette toilet" if you boondock without any facilities..."what you goanna do" out in the desert or at a beach or in the mountains each day when you need to empty the cassette...burry it??
It's not really a one-size-fits-all type of situation. Just like beds come with mattresses to suit all three bears and Goldilocks, RVs come in all shapes, sizes, and equipment levels.

Some like it small and nimble, able to drive anywhere you want to go. Some like larger with the ability to stay put in the wilderness for a long time. All depends on what your priorities are.

The thread started by talking about class B vans and cassette toilets. Lots of other options out there for people wanting to dry camp for a week or more, including a composting toilet or a larger RV with large tanks.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 05:55 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Thank you….

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
It's not really a one-size-fits-all type of situation. Just like beds come with mattresses to suit all three bears and Goldilocks, RVs come in all shapes, sizes, and equipment levels.

Some like it small and nimble, able to drive anywhere you want to go. Some like larger with the ability to stay put in the wilderness for a long time. All depends on what your priorities are.

The thread started by talking about class B vans and cassette toilets. Lots of other options out there for people wanting to dry camp for a week or more, including a composting toilet or a larger RV with large tanks.
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 09:47 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Olympia , Washington
Laveo is a better alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by StogieMan View Post
With all the recent talk about different Class B's some one brought up the cassette toilet. A cassette, portable or composting toilet is a total non starter for us. It's a shame as some of these Class B's are really nice looking but they decided to add a cassette toilet.

I'm not sure why they're going this route. Is it to save some money on plumbing, for space reasons or have they done some research and found out that consumers actually want this.

I know that these are very popular in Europe and have many places set up to dump these. However, I don't see this in the states and have seen some YouTube videos of people dumping these in restrooms. This really grosses me out and I wouldn't want to see someone in a restroom trying to dump one of these around me. What are your thoughts on these?
-------------

The Happier Camper Traveler uses the Laveo https://dry-flush.com/. Have read some really good things about that solution and was recently told by an Airstream dealer that they could remove the toilet from a Basecamp and cap off the pipes letting me put in a Laveo if I wanted. I might go that route rather than the urine diverting composting toilet available in the REI Basecamp edition.
CR-Rylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 10:23 AM   #25

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We had an Outfitter Pop-up truck camper for about six years. It had a cassette toilet. It was OK, but we would have much rather had a small black tank. The removal, dumping, and replacement process was a little tricky but doable. I don't think that I would ever want to have another one.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote