Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2021, 07:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Watseka , Illinois
bypassing under the sink filter

Hi all, it's my first post. I've been a lurker for the past year.
We have a 2011 27FB Flying Cloud. I seriously can't remember if there was ever a filter under the sink. There isn't one now and the hose going to it was just sitting on top. When we dewinterized and turned on the water pump, water sprayed everywhere. We found a filter in a drawer, put it in and tried to hold the hose down to see if it helped. Nope.
Can we totally bypass the filter? Thanks for any help!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-1.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	395852   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	395853  

Thundershill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:37 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Harrisburg , Oregon
I have a similar problem. My new (to me) trailer has an EverPure water filter under the sink. I bought a new filter for it and screwed it in, turned the tap on the adapter to start running water through the filter, and water leaked out of the tap handle, of all places. Everything else about the system is still watertight.

So, if I'm going to use my trailer for camping I have to bypass that filter housing, or find a way to repair the seals on that tap handle. Any ideas would be appreciated. Also, I admit I haven't looked through this sub-forum to see if anyone has already written about this same problem, so if it answered here, please point me to the thread(s).

Thanks,
Scott
skucera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:33 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I bypassed my filter. I simply didn't need it so after it wore out I put in a straight piece of 1/2" plumbing line in it's place... Airstream actually supplied this part with my 2017.

Later I put in a surflow accumulator in its place to help reduce pump noise / cycling.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:08 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Watseka , Illinois
Can we just take off the hose and cap off the line?
Old 05-21-2021, 05:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
The under sink water filter on my 2013 filtered the cold side of the faucet. I found that it restricted flow enough to be annoying, so removed the filter. Airstream had provided a short length of flex pipe with appropriate adapters to replace the filter.

I'm guessing that if you are somehow able to cap the pipe thats now squirting water under the sink that will mean cutting off the cold water supply to the faucet.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:41 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Harrisburg , Oregon
I found that the filter housing Is still available on Amazon so I just ordered a replacement. My trailer’s setup has a second faucet beside the main sink faucet, so flow to my normal hot/cold faucet isn’t affected. Flow through the filtered water faucet is pretty slow, though.

Scott
skucera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:28 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Watseka , Illinois
Thank you everyone! We put a cap on it and no leaks. I think we're set!
Old 05-26-2021, 10:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The straight length of pipe is supposed to be used as part of winterizing. Apparently the pink antifreeze ruins the filter. It may be that your previous filter was tossed after someone tasted the pink water. Bleah! If you don't care whether your water is filtered, I guess either capping it.off or using the straight thru pipe is the same.