Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2017, 03:58 PM   #1

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Exclamation Big Dimple (Circular Crack) in Shower Tub

This morning, while I was in the shower, I shifted my weight (160 lbs) suddenly and my left front toe made a dimple in the shower tub floor. The dimple has a circular crack around its circumference and a smaller crack in the center.

I would like to have a repair made "in the field" as my family and I are using the AS as a lifeboat while we are renovating our home which is currently gutted to the studs.

I have read that fiberglass showers may have repairs made using epoxy solutions if they are on walls, but that does not seem to be recommended for the floor pans. I am going to call a professional, if I can find one in Pensacola, tomorrow (Monday), but would also be open to DIY solutions.

Picture attached.
DTMurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I was able to patch a small crack in my shower wall with a fiberglass repair kit I got from Home Depot. It was a two-part formula specifically made for fiberglass. The brand name is "Aquatic".

It made a neat, water-tight patch. The product was "bright white" color, but in fact it was grayish compared to the white of the shower in my 2013 25FB.

However, I am doubtful that this stuff is strong enough for a floor patch much bigger than a nickel. How big is your broken area?
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
No picture attached.

Could be an easy repair at a boatyard nearby. If you want to diy, look at West Systems Epoxies and fiberglass.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
For a temporary repair, a metal disk (such as: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-S...wAAOxykMpTJyXT) stuck in place with caulk would work. To avoid leakage through the dimple, the caulk should be run as a bead completely around the dimple before pressing the disk down on it.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Yikes! It sounds as if you weren't doing something excessive to provoke the ding, so it seems to me that more cracks are in your future. Your .sig says you've got a 2015, so the brittleness probably isn't due to age. Epoxy and fiberglass mat would be a good fix, but you'd have to do probably the entire pan, to be sure that the floor is strengthened, and to not have an unsightly lump. While you're at it, maybe drill some holes through the pan and fill the gap under with foam to help support?

If the problem isn't fixed, you're looking at the dreaded floor rot down the line!
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #6
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I would call Airstream and ask them what to do to repair it correctly. They may have or recommend a kit. Then again, they may repair it under their "Good Will" account. It is worth a telephone call. They have done several of those repairs for me through the years.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote