Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2003, 05:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Bathtub woes....

Ok, I have cleaned and scrubbed, but the tub is awful. It's pitted and scratched and stained.

I am considering having one of those "tub guys" spray a new coating on it and the sink and countertop too. I got a quote on having this done, he said $400 (cdn) but I have to take the pieces to his shop.

Any input on this? Good idea, bad idea??

Thanks

Wolf
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 05:12 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Wolf,
It is my understanding that the tubs are ABS? I have refinished fiberglass tubs with no problems. We just sanded ours down, used a high grade primer and an industrial grade enamel on them. There is something called Krylon Fusion which I have seen mentioned as a possible treatment, but I have not done any research on it as of yet.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 05:24 PM   #3
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Save your bucks

clean real well and spray paint with Epoxy paint, last long time and you can buy about 100 cans for that price.

Oh, get a good respirator, I am still buzzing from the one I did a month ago. I am so high, I bought another Airstream today,
Wheeeeew!

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 05:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Krylon Fusion is a spray paint adapted specifically for use with plastics. Any kind of plastic. They do this by the simple expedient of including in the solvent base every solvent ever known to be used in plastic manufacture. It absolutely will adhere.

I have used it with great sucess. It is inexpensive, dries quickly, and very easily lays down a smooth, gloss finish. It is not, however, comparable to the durability you will get with a professionally finished tub. Even moderate scrubbing with a scrub brush will wear it down. I should think that any of the powdered cleansers would take it right off.

On the other hand, you can always paint on another coat! It blends beautifully.

Personally, I'd seek out a refinisher - but maybe look for one a little less expensive.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 06:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The ABS can be sanded with 400 wet, or even 220 or 320, until you get the surface clean.

You can then carefully polish the sand marks out using a buffer and some Dupont orange rubbing compound.

A final finish can be just a simple paste wax job.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 06:30 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally posted by j54mark
Krylon Fusion is a spray paint... They do this by the simple expedient of including in the solvent base every solvent ever known to be used in plastic manufacture. It absolutely will adhere.
Mark
Gee are OSHA and the EPA aware of this Better buy a bunch before the goverment finds out it exists

Aaron
Old 12-29-2003, 06:31 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally posted by Inland RV Center, In
The ABS can be sanded with 400 wet, or even 220 or 320, until you get the surface clean.

You can then carefully polish the sand marks out using a buffer and some Dupont orange rubbing compound.

A final finish can be just a simple paste wax job.

Andy
Andy,
Are all of the bathroom fixtures in the 1975 AS ABS plastic or are there other types?

Thanks

Aaron
Old 12-29-2003, 06:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Aaron.

Airstream used ABS.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 06:40 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Thanks,
I was hoping that would be the answer PO left some cigarette burns around the sink, and I was hoping that I would be able to sand/buff them out.

Aaron
Old 12-29-2003, 07:19 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings Wolf!

Quote:
I also am considering getting one of those guys that does the bathtub spraying/re-coating to come and do the tub and countertop/sink in the bathroom. Any input on that?
I had a professional refinish the bathroom fixtures in my '64 Overlander and believe it to be a very worthwhile investment. The complete cost was just under $600. The process was completed with all fixtures remaining in-place. The finished product can be seen below (the color was called antique pewter):

The starting point was a very original avacado green with brown age spots as can be seen in the before photo below:

<<There are several other before and after photos fo the bath fixtures available by clicking the "Photos" button at the bottom of my post.>>

The process was somewhat more involved that I would have ever suspected. There were at least three different kinds of plastic/fiberglass requiring three different primer/surfacers as well as three different top coat products. The results were well worth the cost to me to have what appear to be brand new fixtures. It did take a bit of shopping to find a refinisher willing to work in the confines of an Airstream bath. I had estimates from three vendors - - ranged from $1,500 to $675. I went with the low bid on the recommendation of my regular plumbing contractor who had done business with that particular vendor in the past.

One of the many reasons I chose refinishing was that I just could not stand the avacado green - - two colors from tract homes of my youth that bring back nothing but terrible memories are avacado green and hot pink so the green had to go.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 09:41 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to rochsmama Send a message via Yahoo to rochsmama
This forum is great!

Now I know what to do with this wornout bathroom!
rochsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 10:49 PM   #12
srfotog

1972 25' Tradewind
Mountain View , California
Send a message via AIM to srfotog
Help

WHERE did you get your bathroom redone?

Quote:
I had a professional refinish the bathroom fixtures in my '64 Overlander and believe it to be a very worthwhile investment. The complete cost was just under $600. The process was completed with all fixtures remaining in-place. The finished product can be seen below (the color was called antique pewter):
srfotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 08:58 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Bathtub woes....

Greetings srfotog!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfotog
A local household bath and kitchen refinisher handled the project in my Airstream. The refinisher who handled my coach is located in Mercer County, Illinois a few miles South of Rock Island. I found the refinisher who handled the restoration through my local plumbing and heating contractor, but there are typically several listings for professional bathroom and kitchen refinishers in metropolitan Yellow Pages.

If you happen to be in the Rock Island, IL area, PM me and I will look-up the contact information. I recently moved more than 300 miles South of Mercer County so it may take me a short time to find my records.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 04:03 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Cool Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfotog
Do you have an area you can paint in? I used "White Coat", an ABS paint on my bath. Worked Great! We ordered it over the internet, Por 15 products.
Take 4 days to cure. Rock hard! We sprayed it on ( I have a compressor) but it can be brushed on as well.

Before
http://home.comcast.net/~balrgn/Airstream/DSC02319.jpg

After
http://home.comcast.net/~balrgn/Airstream/DSC02335.jpg
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 08:30 AM   #15
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Whitecoat

That's a nice after picture balrgn! I hope to get the same results. I plan to use the POR-15 Whitecoat on my yellowed encaps too and BTW I'm painting my brake drums and OEM wheels with POR-15 products later today... POR stands for "paint over rust". They have many useful products including a metal polish and a clear coat called Glisten PC. It's certainly worth getting the free catalog. Here's the Whitecoat link:

http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=233

Steve
Attached Files
File Type: pdf whitecoat.pdf (32.6 KB, 289 views)
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 04:58 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Cool Paint

One word of caution! Do everything you can to get the sink counter top completely clean. We cleaned with Marine Clean and the POR solvent. Any residue could cause bubbling. I have a small area that gave us a hard time. The only thing I can think caused it was some contamintion from silicone residue. Another thing that comes to mind is DO NOT attempt to thin the product. We did a test with a small amount it did not mix well and the Xylene is very hard to find. Good luck, post pics if you can! When I get more assembled I'll upload more photos.
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote