Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2006, 09:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Curtis , Michigan
bathroom restoration

Hi - new to the AS lifestyle and just acquired my 1970 31" Sovereign.

Other than the mouse problem and some other minor maintenance the only overhaul I want done is the bathroom. I'm looking for someone to do the work for me. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and I'm looking for someone with this experience in Michigan or Upper Wisconsin. I'm open to suggestions on how to accomplish this. I saw some AS that had a resurface of the existing fixtures it looks like. I'm open to this too.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you

nmloehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:21 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

I have done my bathroom over 2 years ago using Tough as Tile Tub and Tile finish from Lowes. I also used fiberglass mat and cloth with Gorilla glue to fix and fill broken corners and cracked plastic holes where rivets were used. I even refinished the original cloth like material covering the mode seat. Several folks have seen the results and claimed it looks like I used new tub sink, panels etc. If interested I can give you the formula for pigmenting the 2 part epoxy. The only drawback is the painting need to be done all at one time and within an hour or 2 at most after mixing the epoxy.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:08 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Curtis , Michigan
Thanks FB I will keep it in mind.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi nmloehr -- guess I can still say, "Welcome to the Forums!" I found this by searching on: sink refinishing.

I always think of Kevin Allen (overlander64) in terms of refinishing sink and shower pans -- his photo album shows the results. So many home sink & tub surfaces are plastic these days and refinishing is available locally -- I think that's who Kevin used. Might find more info on that in search but I'd suggest checking your yellow pages.

It also took me to other DIY posts by balrgn on the same subject.

I showed Susie a thread back when our Argosy was a higher priority and she was sold on the idea -- somebody had refinished their sink & shower pan in ruby red! Quite impressive.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:13 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Curtis , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Hi nmloehr -- guess I can still say, "Welcome to the Forums!" I found this by searching on: sink refinishing.

I always think of Kevin Allen (overlander64) in terms of refinishing sink and shower pans -- his photo album shows the results. So many home sink & tub surfaces are plastic these days and refinishing is available locally -- I think that's who Kevin used. Might find more info on that in search but I'd suggest checking your yellow pages.

It also took me to other DIY posts by balrgn on the same subject.

I showed Susie a thread back when our Argosy was a higher priority and she was sold on the idea -- somebody had refinished their sink & shower pan in ruby red! Quite impressive.

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION!
Old 05-01-2007, 10:06 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
1984 31' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
The bathroom of our 79 31' Sovereign rear bath is sitting behind the trailer in pieces. I gutted the trailer and replaced the floor.
I want to paint the bathroom----using "Tough as Tile" tinted to an Olympic white.
QUESTION: Do I paint the pieces before I put them back in the trailer or before I put them back in the trailer?

I know there will be quite a bit of 'flexing' of the shower walls, sink, tub etc reinstalling them. If I paint them before I reinstall them will I run the risk of cracking the paint?

If I paint them after I reinstall them, will I be able to reach all the spots?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 016.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	36573  
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
1984 31' Excella
Springfield , Missouri