Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Attempting Repair of Shower Pan

I may be about to embark on a repair attempt of the shower pan on my 1977 Excella 500. The pan is in pretty sorry shape and I am on the borderline of buying a new pan from Andy at Inland RV for $425 instead. He has it in stock and he is local to me.

But I think that I'd rather have a stainless steel pan custom made instead. As such, I might attempt a temporary repair for now. Or if it comes out well enough, maybe it will be used for a longer period as there are quite a few other projects I would put ahead of this if I have a reasonably working shower.

The thing that moved this towards the top of the to-do list was coming across a refinishing kit at Home Depot today. It is the "Magic Tub & Tile Refinishing Kit" and states it is a "high gloss, two-part epoxy" and the reviews on the home depot site are generally excellent. Most people seem thrilled with the results and then there are some reviews where I am guessing the people didn't prep right and had poor results.

It says it works on "bathtubs, sinks, showers, ceramic tile, porcelain, laminate, fiberglass, metal"

Now, taking out the current shower pan, I'm of the impression that it is some sort of PVC, not fiberglass as I previously thought. It sure is thin and flimsy. The replacement pans that Andy has are fiberglass.

My plan would be to substantially beef up this pan and repair the existing cracks using fiberglass. I am going to have to do some further research on this before proceeding since it now appears it won't be a fiberglass on fiberglass repair. I have previously done a lot of research on making repairs to cracked bumper covers for cars and may reflect on that info a bit more before proceeding.

In the meantime, I am going to start this thread by adding some photos of the current condition of the pan. Feel free to jump in with any advice and suggestions... I certainly would appreciate the help!

Click image for larger version

Name:	bath1.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	172621

Name:	bath2.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	172622

Name:	bath3.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	357.5 KB
ID:	172623

Name:	bath4.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	457.0 KB
ID:	172624

Name:	bath5.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	558.6 KB
ID:	172625

Name:	bath6.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	390.1 KB
ID:	172626
CA_Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Hmmm. As huge as your project is going to be, I would consider the "Time is Money Trade-Off Paradigm."
Send Inland Andy $425.00 and get on with your life.
Ask him for the "Frequent Buyer" discount.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Yes, I'm really going back and forth on the time vs money question right now. It won't be a simple project, that's for sure. But if I'm going to send $425, I might as well spend what it would take to have a stainless pan made. I may just go quick and dirty on this as a temp repair and forget about even trying to make it look good.

In the meantime, here is another photo of the bottom of the pan. The piece sitting next to it looks like it may have been glued to the bottom previously. If I do the repair, I would likely glue this back in place and maybe seal it in with fiberglass.

Name:	photo(1).JPG
Views:	177
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	172635
Old 11-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
That is the "slope board," and as far as I know it was never glued to the shower bottom.
It was there to provide a rigid, properly sloped, self-draining base for the way-to-flimsy shower bottom.
I would definitely keep it, even if you decide to buy the fiberglass shower bottom from Inland Andy.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Anyone know what it might cost to have a stainless pan fabricated?
Old 11-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Well, I started digging into this to get some experience. This is based on the techniques that I learned for repairing car bumpers and I think it will work well. I've never done this before, however, so this documentation is not intended to show "expert" techniques. This is just my attempt based on memory from months-ago research on the net.

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	172644

This first pic shows how I stabilized the corner crack with some wood. The last thing I want to have happen is this thing to get out of alignment during the repair process. If I were to do this again, I'd probably try to span the open corner with wood to hold it so the front/back of the crack were accessible.

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	172645

This shows the grinding out of the crack to provide some meat in filler material going through front to back. Funny thing was that as I started to grind it down, the heat seemed to fuse the crack back together again!

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	172646

I think they call this a "rivet" technique, which is fitting for an Airstream! Could be wrong about that. But anyway, filler is supposed to go through the holes and in the crack, and on the surface (I need to sand/grind down some of that material) to fuse it all together. It is best to fuse front/back together at the same time but I prob won't be able to do that since I have that wood block in the way. My current thinking is to repair the crack as best as possible to stabilize it and then go back and reinforce after that.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Charlotte , North Carolina
How is the pan holding up with your repairs? Did you end up replacing it?

I have also come across a similar problem recently with my shower. The previous owner had a wood cutting board in the bottom to "disperse water and weight" (sketchy) and because I haven't had to use the shower, only recently was I brave enough to look under the wood to assess the damage. I'm researching solutions before I remove it but I'm just curious, if there are cracks in the bottom... do you think water has leaked through? In your situation, was water leaking out of the cracks/holes in the PVC? I'm really worried about a larger rot/water damage issue in the bottom of the trailer at this point. I love your idea of a stainless steel replacement though. May look into that.
SilverHornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHornet View Post
How is the pan holding up with your repairs? Did you end up replacing it?

I have also come across a similar problem recently with my shower. The previous owner had a wood cutting board in the bottom to "disperse water and weight" (sketchy) and because I haven't had to use the shower, only recently was I brave enough to look under the wood to assess the damage. I'm researching solutions before I remove it but I'm just curious, if there are cracks in the bottom... do you think water has leaked through? In your situation, was water leaking out of the cracks/holes in the PVC? I'm really worried about a larger rot/water damage issue in the bottom of the trailer at this point. I love your idea of a stainless steel replacement though. May look into that.
There is a fiberglass Gel coated replacement available.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Yes I know - I would recommend buying it from someone with friendly employees and who doesn't mind answering simple questions about it. :-(
WBCCI #1711
Texas Gulf Coast Unit, Texas Airstream Harbor
Angelina National Forest, Zavalla, TX
Old 04-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The motorcycle guys use some stuff called PlastiFix to fix cracked motorcycle fairings. It is a powder and a liquid. There are you-tube videos showing how the stuff is used.

Repair Broken Street Bike Fairing

Motorcycle Fairing Repair Using PlastiFix - Sportbike Fairing Repairs Made Easy - YouTube

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Tallguy View Post
Yes I know - I would recommend buying it from someone with friendly employees and who doesn't mind answering simple questions about it. :-(
Most companies train customer service employees to answer standard questions.

When it comes to technical questions, that's an entirely different story.

And, add to that the liability issues, especially in California, that changes the entire story for regular customer service advice.

Attend a liability trial in California, and you will learn a lesson very quickly as to how to get in trouble, by trying to be helpful.

Been there, done that.

And
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote