Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2021, 10:57 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Tucson , AZ
Attaching to Natures Head urine drain

For those who have used a Nature's Head composting toilet and diverted urine to the black tank, what did you use to connect your drainage system to the urine drain?

I have a 1.5" hepvo (could go with a 1.25" too) and a 1.5" ABS system I am connecting with.
aaryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:46 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Tucson , AZ
was thinking something like this

https://www.zoro.com/banjo-1-female-...BoCQz0QAvD_BwE
Old 05-17-2021, 09:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
FYI/FWIW -- You have probably seen all these "composting toilet urine drain" threads:

https://www.google.com/search?q=comp...=airforums.com

. . . so maybe helpful for other readers IMO.

Good luck.

FYI
FWIW

Let the music lift you up . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:15 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
FYI/FWIW -- You have probably seen all these "composting toilet urine drain" threads:

https://www.google.com/search?q=comp...=airforums.com

. . . so maybe helpful for other readers IMO.

Good luck.

FYI
FWIW

yes, Otra15, iíve been doing my homework. iíve seen a lot of these threads. itís a very common mod but the threads iíve read lack detail on the parts needed to actually connect the NH urine drain to a drainage system or donít accomplish my primary design criteria:

1) aesthetically clean (donít want hose clamps and 4 different types of fittings under the toilet)
2) doesnít smell (needs a valve).

the approaches iíve read so far utilize the following approaches:

1) hose clamp with flex tube to grey/black tank
2) rubber compression fitting to standard 1.5Ē ABS
3) drain hole and tube in the pee tank itself.

since iím running this to a tank 7 feet away i was planning on using 1.5Ē ABS, which is admittedly pretty large but i can put a hepvo valve on it and keep vapors from the tank from coming back into the trailer.

solution 2 is closest to what i want but in terms of aesthetics and convenience iím looking for something better. iíd rather have a quick release than have to loosen a hose clamp to pull the top off to swap out the bag of solids. iíd also rather have a simpler attachment below the tank and not have 4 different fittings just to connect to the ABS. so those are my motivations.

i just spent an hour at the hardware store trying to piece all the right fittings to make a clean solution and ultimately didnít figure it out so thatís why iím reaching out to the forums. i assume you are trying to be helpful with your ďlet me google that for youĒ... if you have actual experience with this i would be grateful for your insight.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:47 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
arryno - these guys installed one on the schoolie in this video. I thought of doing the same thing, but haven't yet.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:11 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trons4u View Post
arryno - these guys installed one on the schoolie in this video. I thought of doing the same thing, but haven't yet.

thanks! it looks like they just put the hepvo directly under the urine drain: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4386.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	395747
Old 05-18-2021, 11:02 PM   #7
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I plumbed my AirHead directly to the black tank with check valves. No smell what so ever. However, occasionally I run some water through the system with the old toilet cleaning hose.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote