Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
Argosy toilet selection & the mystery of the secret compartment

We are replacing the toilet in our "new" 1978 Argosy, and it looks from other dated threads that the main replacement candidate due to space constraints is a "Bravura", I would rather a china toilet- maybe the Sealand Traveler Lite. Can anyone confirm that the Traveler Lite would work? the clearance is tight- 12" to the overhanging-secret compartment behind the toilet...

Wonder what the intended purpose of the secret compartment was- what are some good uses for it in your world ...?

Kathy
whitefawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
I recently saw someone suggest it was a laundry bin. Seems reasonable.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoofball View Post
I recently saw someone suggest it was a laundry bin. Seems reasonable.
You must have tiny laundry. Our compartment is very small; it would hold a few pairs of socks perhaps.... and I always figured it was intended for girlie unmentionables or maybe a trashy paperback novel.

We have the low model of the sealand traveler lite in our argosy - it fits under the secret compartment but only just. It's a great pot however and has been hassle free.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
argosy toilet

Thanks- Does your toilet sit back under that compartment? And if so, how does the toilet seat open? The measurements for the Sealand Lite make it seem too big for that space...

Kathy
Old 07-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Here is a pic New Sealand Toilet - This is a Sealand Traveler lite model and just fits with out modifing existing structure. China is good - Plastic Thetford be gone! Photo Gallery
The seat hinges are not all the way under the overhang. Also - we have an Argosy Minuet which is a little different than a standard argosy (smaller) but may be configured differently.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 07-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
Thanks again- the picture is helpful. When I measured under the compartment from the floor of the toilet in our Argosy, I got 12 inches. Is that what yours measures? The bump on the back of the Sealand exceeds 12 inches- and I can't quite tell from the picture- on yours is that bump sitting in front of- rather than under the compartment? I prefer the china toilet and really want it to work!

Kathy
Old 07-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Darrington , Washington
Kathy, let me assure you that the "Bravura", WILL NOT fit in your Argosy. I too have a 78 24 ' model. I was advised to get the "Bravura", and after buying it on line, I was sad to learn it will not fit without cutting the Secret Shelf out. You can install the bravura without the seat but it's rough on the rear end when you use it. My wife says cut the shelf, I'm looking for another toilet. I will be intersted in learning what you select and if it fits.

Keep in touch Thanks
buffaloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
I appreciate that news about the Bravura. I am leaning towards the Sealand Traveler Lite, even though on paper it looks like it won't fit. It would be a cryin' shame to get rid of that secret compartment!

Kathy
Old 07-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Here is a pic New Sealand Toilet - This is a Sealand Traveler lite model and just fits with out modifing existing structure. China is good - Plastic Thetford be gone! Photo Gallery
The seat hinges are not all the way under the overhang. Also - we have an Argosy Minuet which is a little different than a standard argosy (smaller) but may be configured differently.
I will second this. We also have a '77' Minuet and used the Sealand Traveler Lite. It was a tight fit but it fit. Very happy with the choice.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #10
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
That 'bump' is a plastic cover that covers some of the plumbing bits. It is removable and here's a tip:
If the fit is too tight (by just a little) you can take that cover and shave a little off the bottom (think belt sander). It will still provide the needed protection but you can gain a little clearance.

Whitefawn - you might search the forum for sealand, argosy and see if you can find other members who have used this toilet and have a standard argosy. I am 90 percent certain it will fit, but it would be nice to confirm with a standard argosy owner.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 07-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #11
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
I am inclined to get the Traveler Lite and let my husband figure it out. I have searched this forum, and I have have to admit that I don't always get satifactory results when I search-- no doubt operator error, or what my friend calls PEBKAC- problem exists between keyboard and chair...

Kathy
Old 07-22-2010, 05:21 PM   #12
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
One note about the traveler lite.... it comes with a totally cheesy seat. I highly recommend buying a regular seat (which will fit) at lowes or walmart. Just take the old one with you when you shop to make sure you get the proper size.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 07-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #13
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
Yes it IS a cheesy seat- we put that toilet model in our 1971 Overlander, which we just sold. We never got around to replacing the seat. It took a lot of fiddling to make it work in the Overlander, and if we have to do it again in the Argosy, we've had some practice.

Kathy
Old 07-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
Hi,
I have been reading your discussion on the toilet and what will fit. I have the '78 27ft with the original yellow pot with the plastic lid. It is sort of cool (retro, now that those colors seem to be in vogue again but it is a very uncomfortable seat. Recently, while have some other plumbing fixtures replaced the toilet has "sprung a leak" and thus I am thinking it may be a good time to replace it for a more modern, more effecient and more comfortable toilet. In the 27ft the toilet is on the right side of the bathroom. Will the Sealand work there? I do not need to go under anthing because the toilet goes next to the back of the wall behind the toilet. I also have this "opening" that is about 2ft by 8" by 2ft deep that appears to be a useless space. So I am working on how to make it less useless. Thanks, for posting your toilet question. It got me to ask mine. jjustice
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Darrington , Washington
JJustice, if you think a Bravura will fit, I have a brand new one(well almost, installed and sat on just used once LOL) that I will sell for a good deal. I live north of you so the shipping will be reasonable and there within a day of leaving me. I must admit the Bravura has a very comfortable seat and the profile is nice.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:37 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Darrington , Washington
Janet, can you check the Sealander Travel Lite short dimensions. Their web site calls out 14" from the bottom of the toilet to the top of a small riser behind the toilet seat. That will not fit under my 12" space from the floor to the shelf bottom. I also read on Vintage Traveler Supply that a "short" needs a 4 bolt flange adapter to attach it. That may also add height.

All this information or mis information is confusing.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:40 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Darrington , Washington
Does a Sealander really fit?

Janet, can you check the Sealander Travel Lite short dimensions. Their web site calls out 14" from the bottom of the toilet to the top of a small riser behind the toilet seat. That will not fit under my 12" space from the floor to the shelf bottom. I also read on Vintage Traveler Supply that a "short" needs a 4 bolt flange adapter to attach it. That may also add height.

Could they have modified the Sealander size?

All this information or mis information is confusing.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #18
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
Argosy toilet replace

Thanks Janet for the pix of your Argosy and the Sealander Lite. My husband has looked at the space in the Argosy, examined the Sealander Lite in our '71 Overlander and concluded that we can squeeze it in like you did. Here is the way it will hopefully work (which has already been well described by Janet?): Cut into the exterior BOTTOM of the secret compartment shelf, which has about an inch up to the interior shelf of the compartment that is visible when you open the door. Remove the rear plastic cap on the Sealander covering the valve mechanism. This should squeak some more room. Then hold your breath and squeeze that toilet back into the space, and hopefully it will fit without cutting into the secret compartment lower (interior) shelf. We might modify the valve cover to accommodate the smaller space for aesthetics. But if we have to, we will cut into the interior of secret compartment, and all those uses for that secret compartment which I have yet to think of will vanish! We will order our toilet soon and commence the project...

Kathy
Old 07-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Darrington , Washington
I am curious about one thing. After you do this cutting, how much of the lower shelf material will be left to attach the shelf cover and will the toilet seat be able to open completetly? Does your shelf cover attach to the bottom of the shelf with a piano hindge? Mine does. The lower shelf thichness at the connection point is about 1/2".
Old 07-26-2010, 09:05 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
I will work off the original post and say that I have found out today that the main water valve is the culprit and that I need to replace the toilet. The problem is this. The old, original toilet currently in the Argosy has a center front/back bolt pattern and all the new toilets that are at camping world have a left/right bolt pattern. I need a replacement toilet that will fit the bolt pattern to fit front/back bolt pattern and sit in the same place as the current stool. Any help here? thanks, jjustice
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote