Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2017, 05:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Argosy / composting toilet ?

hey all, has anyone installed a composting toilet in an Argosy ? I see the existing toilet sits up on top of a box, not on the floor. I think this is the actual black tank. It would be too high up off the bathroom floor if placed directly on top of the box I think. Only solution would be to remove the black tank and re-engineer the washbasin vanity unit so it could sit on the floor ... In theory wouldn't need the black tank, but would be cool for extra grey tank waste. ... hmmm ? any thoughts on this one ?!! thanks
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
pic of toilet

here's a picture , you can see the dilemma !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	argosy toilet.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	297632  
Old 10-23-2017, 06:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
You are correct, that is the black tank under there. Mine is all still intact so I'm no help on your decision.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
A Natureshead is 20” tall and also has side and back clearances that need to be taken into consideration. When I installed ours into a 2014 25’ FC, it barely fit. You’d have to take out the black tank just to get a flat floor otherwise your feet will be swinging in the breeze!😂
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Bay Shore , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickclifford View Post
here's a picture , you can see the dilemma !
Nick,

Having installed a composting toilet in my SOB trailer, I did quite a bit of research before making the commitment - which we are very happy with after our first extended trip using it. In the course of my study, I ran across a video where the a problem similar to yours existed (the Wynn's?) and the solution was to install a foldup step that deployed only when sitting on the throne, so to speak. This had the huge advantage of keeping the original black tank systems intact should a future purchaser want to revert to the more typical wet toilet installation.

I just blocked off my toilet flange and set the composting toilet right over it. The black tank and related plumbing have been left untouched, including the roof vents - which I connected the composting toilet to using a Fernco 'T' fitting.

BTW - I went with the Airhead brand rather than the Nature's Head. The primary advantage was that the Airhead does not require opening the composting tank when removing the pee tank emptying, which we have to do every 3rd day or so and, if memory serves, requires less clearance at the back as the tank top does not swing back to clear the pee tank.
Jim S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S. View Post
Nick,

Having installed a composting toilet in my SOB trailer, I did quite a bit of research before making the commitment - which we are very happy with after our first extended trip using it. In the course of my study, I ran across a video where the a problem similar to yours existed (the Wynn's?) and the solution was to install a foldup step that deployed only when sitting on the throne, so to speak. This had the huge advantage of keeping the original black tank systems intact should a future purchaser want to revert to the more typical wet toilet installation.

I just blocked off my toilet flange and set the composting toilet right over it. The black tank and related plumbing have been left untouched, including the roof vents - which I connected the composting toilet to using a Fernco 'T' fitting.

BTW - I went with the Airhead brand rather than the Nature's Head. The primary advantage was that the Airhead does not require opening the composting tank when removing the pee tank emptying, which we have to do every 3rd day or so and, if memory serves, requires less clearance at the back as the tank top does not swing back to clear the pee tank.
Those last two features are really nice as you will be emptying the pee bottle way more than the solids.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S. View Post
Nick,

great feedback, thanks ! the step is a great idea. I like the idea of leaving the black tank intact as some folks can't wrap their head around a "natures-head"

PS ... haven't bought the Argosy yet, looking at it tomorrow .. fingers crossed the floor is intact, I'm just not up for that type of restoration project. I want to be able to use it before my youngest kid moves on, just a couple more years of that
Old 10-24-2017, 07:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
We have a 66 Tradewind. It did not come with a gray water tank, only a black water tank. When it came time to replace the toilet I was going to install a composting toilet. I was not able to get either of the composting toilets to fit in the toilet console of the Tradewind so I installed a Curve porta potty. This has worked very well, is very light and was very inexpensive, like $120. We only pea in it unless there there are no other alternatives. Another advantage is that we blocked off the top of the black water tank and turned it into a gray water tank.

You can read about my installation and see photos if you look at posts 23-32 of the thread Dan’s 66 Tradewind Improvements in the trailer section.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote