Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

debary , Florida
any suggestion on a gutted bathroom?

Me and my husband have a 76 sovereign land yacht 30' and we would love some ideas and suggestions on how to remodel our gutted bathroom there are no walls or anything. He's a big guy and needs room. Does anyone have any cool bathrooms they did themselves? What should we be mindful of when working with the bathroom?
jerr1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
With no walls, your possibilities are endless. To me about the only thing to be mindful of is where the hookup for black tank for toilet is located. Unless you plan on replacing the tank, if so, you can place toiliet anywhere you like.
Be mindful of location of bedroom, kitchen and bathroom. Will this be an Airstream you're going to go camping in a lot? Or you're going to restore to live in full-time in a park? Or a bit of both? Location of any mentioned is all up to you.
Personally, I never could understand why the bathrooms in Airstreams got preferential treatment for the real estate at back of trailer. Sure, it had something to do with dump tanks, but I prefer the bed at rear of trailer.
Good Luck
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

debary , Florida
Hey thank you for your reply! Ours is a mid bath and it just seems so small! We were thinking of putting a galvanized tub in it and then tiling around it do you think it could be possible? We have the kitchen on the left and room on the right. And is it hard to relocate tanks? We want to keep the bathroom in the middle...
jerr1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Frozen , Tundra
I too will be doing a bathroom re-model after my insulation and interior wall find their respective places. I see some really neat tile bathrooms in high end restorations and really like the look but have also read of the weight issues, and the flex of trailer causing issues, does anyone have any long term experience with tile in an AS ? The sea foam green fiberglass bath I currently have is fugly and seriously diminishes the updated look.
alumascoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Weigh and durability is my concern about using any sort of tile in my bathroom, as far as on the walls are concerned. Really haven't even begun to look at what to do with walls, though there is a Classic motorhome owner that used the tiles on his bathroom. He's driven it from New York to Alaska and now Arizona. No idea how the tile has held up.
Jerr1955, possiblities are endless in how you configure your bath. Look at how some manufacturers are doing baths now. Seen some where there is a toilet/sink, across from the shower. Toilet/sink area has a door, that when opened makes the whole area into 'larger' bathroom.
Personally, I wouldn't dedicate a lot of area just for bathroom, especially considering that you don't have a lot of square footage to begin with. Get to the Tampa RV Super Show at the Fairgrounds next week, walk through all of the Airstreams, and then start looking at trailers and motorhomes to see how their baths are done. Some are totally impracticle, others will give you some idea of how you'd like to set your bathroom up.
Good Luck, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote