Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
abs plastic seams cracked

We have a 70 Overlander that has a two piece abs plastic surround that runs behind our toilet that is cracked up at the riveted seam which happens to run in the middle-basically a two piece design. At some point someone must have sat down on the cover that goes over the toilet or stepped on this area and cracked the seam rivet. Any ideas on how best to repair it if it even can be repaired? It's a rediculous design actually-no support for this area that I can see from the trunk so it's no surprise this would happen.
rayandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:20 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
1977 28' Argosy 28
Lyngby , Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayandre View Post
..... two piece abs plastic surround .... Any ideas on how best to repair it if it even can be repaired?....
This may help CLICK

Scroll half-way down the page
Old 02-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
Thanks for tips on repairing cracks in ABS-I've never heard about MEK. Our biggest challenge is that there appears to be a riveted seam that runs along the back behind the toilet holding two pieces or halves horizontally and those rivets along the seam have been all cracked up from someone either sitting or putting weight on the ledge above the toilet. This has caused a serious problem in trying to re-rivet a solution- My first impression was to run a piece of stainless with some wood backers from the trunk area for reinforcement. It's just odd that this area doesn't have any real support unless the PO removed it for a previous repair-who knows-now we're stuck to come up with a creative viable solution-fun fun!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1971 27' Overlander
2004 25' Safari
Jourdanton , Texas
If the bath is similar to that in a 71, what you describe is all that is there. I just took one out and was amazed at how little there is to that structure. We saved it, but are looking for other ways to do the bath and not reuse most of the plastic.

Jim
Prickly Pear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Scottsdale , Arizona
One approach would be to use the MEK to bond the crack and then reinforce the underside with fiberglass cloth and resin. I saved an air conditioner interior shroud that way.
Harry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:56 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
It is what I would deem a design flaw. To look at these and see a ledge with, what looks to be a fold down cushioned seat, covering the toilet, screams out "please have a seat!" Why they would put something that appears utilitarian in that position of failure is very strange. I'm not sure I can reach the back end of that curve fully from the back but I'll have a look when we get it home. I like the idea of fiberglass. I'm also considering a new piece of something cut to the height and riveting it into the ABS from the front and installing some supports so someone could actually sit without damaging it. We're going to be reworking the priginal carpeting and pulling the toilet anyway so at least I'll be able to get to it.