Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2015, 08:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Abs plastic repair

I have noticed some small cracks in the vanity/ sink area and shower/ tubxarea , question is . Is there a good product for full and repair and does it come in colors so it will match . Thanks in advance
msasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by msasse View Post
I have noticed some small cracks in the vanity/ sink area and shower/ tubxarea , question is . Is there a good product for full and repair and does it come in colors so it will match . Thanks in advance
No easy answer. In my experience, here's what you're up against:

The ABS tends to shrink slightly and become more brittle over the course of years and tends to discolor with exposure to sunlight. The discoloration is a yellowing caused by the presence of bromine compounds added as a flame retardant, and will be more pronounced in areas exposed to more light.

There are two strategies for repairing the crack.

1) You can use ABS cement, either by itself or to attach a patch made out of ABS.

2) You can use epoxy and reinforce with fiberglass.

ABS cement is available in plumbing supply stores but is typically black. It is possible to make your own by shredding some ABS scraps and mixing them with acetone. So there's the possibility of a color match that's close, at least, if you can find some scrap pieces from someone discarding their interior. But since the yellowing is a surface thing and doesn't extend through the plastic, the color match won't be exact since you'll get something closer to the original unyellowed color.

I used epoxy and fiberglass on my badly deteriorated ABS bathroom pieces in my C-11. If you search for it you can find a writeup with photos and details. I painted everything when I was done so I didn't try to get the epoxy color to match the ABS color.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

What kind of paint did you use and was it easy to apply. Did you paint with pieces in place or did you remove them for painting. Thanks so much for your knowledge
msasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Not speaking for Jammer but the paint I have used with great success is Krylon Fusion Paint for Plastics. It slightly dissolves the plastic and fuses the new paint to the old plastic and if done right, with many thin layers, comes out beautifully. It is available in gloss and satin finish, the satin is best in my opinion.

If possible remove as much as you can and paint it outside the trailer. However, large end caps are a real PITA to remove so will probably have to be done in place. Use full masking, respirator, and a large box fan to draw as much of the overspray and fumes through the trailer as possible.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The yellow discoloration actually comes from the deterioration of the B part of the ABS. That is the rubber component, which also makes it brittle when it ages. Fixing the crack in one spot by drilling a hole at the end of the crack will make it last a little longer. In the end, it is most likely better to coat the whole area with a veil grade fiberglass saturated with epoxy resin and then paint it. Once coated, any paint will do.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:42 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by msasse View Post
What kind of paint did you use and was it easy to apply. Did you paint with pieces in place or did you remove them for painting. Thanks so much for your knowledge
I used Interlux two-part polyurethane with a two-part epoxy primer. I brushed these on, not an easy project nor a cheap one. I took all the pieces out first. My project included the shower base and sink. The two-part poly will withstand immersion, traffic, and cleaning while the rattle can paints will not. The rattle can stuff is fine for less critical areas.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
I am repairing the ABS bathroom parts...right now I have the curbside panel out and have repaired the crack in corner of panel with ABS glue... mixed with ABS shavings, plus fiberglass cloth, (looks good). I have sanded the part and now looking for the best product to paint with. I'm thinking about using a "sealer/primer oil base and then paint with ????? any ideas, up-dates. PS, it's nice to be back working on "Rita" I just replaced the flooring & blackwater tank.

Come and see me at: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-71804-60.html
Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I would use Industrial Imron, it is really durable, it will brush on, it lays down nice, and is relatively cheap at about 120 a gallon..

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote