Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2024, 01:46 PM   #1

Mimbres , New Mexico
76 Argosy Replacing Shower Cartridge and Escutcheon

Hi all,

Recently bought a 76 Argosy and working hard to make it livable!

Unfortunately, the shower is leaking from both the showerhead and behind the wall in a couple of places. Was told it is most likely the cartridge, but also replacing the knob as well.

I wanted to replace the escutcheon, but I can't find a newer one to fit that area...so will use the old one. However, the circular rubber (gasket?) that was adhered to the back of it has come unseated. It's not supple, but it's not brittle either. Was wondering if I should replace it, but I wouldn't know where to look to find one that same shape. The part isn't available right now that I can find.

In either case, is it critical for waterproofing that it be in place, or is it just to help with it seating properly?

Either way, should I use silicone or siliconized acrylic latex to do it? Someone in another thread mentioned some type of polyurethane based caulk?

I also don't know if I should seal around the escutcheon with the same product, and was told to leave 3'" at the bottom so water has some place to go. Youtube videos suggest I do, but it doesn't appear that it was ever sealed around the circumference in the past.

Can some folks kindly chime in to advise? It's making my shower unusable, and I'm already living in it. Any thoughts appreciated to help steer me in the right direction with this project!
too_new is offline   Reply With Quote