Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2003, 09:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Norman , Oklahoma
64 Swirlomatic toilet

Our last trip confirmed that the seal between the blackwater tank and the toilet no longer existed. With each flush, we were getting water leaking out at the base of the toilet. I have been dreading any problems with this toilet because no parts are available to repair it, and to my knowlege, no replacement toilet is available that will fit on top of the black tank, yet under the fiberglass that makes up the bath assembly and completely hides the toilet except for the flush pedal.
So with great trepidation, I started disassembly on the swirlomatic. The first problem is how to get the toilet out of the trailer. The battery has to be removed. With this out of the way, the water supply, vacum breaker and toilet seat can be removed.
The swirlomatic consists of a porcelin bowl coupled to a metal base which houses the flushing pedal and bowl seal. To get the toilet out of the trailer, these to assemblies have to be separated, allowing the bowl to be slid off and out to one side so the metal base can be unbolted and removed from the black tank flange. The gasket between these two parts is propriatary to this toilet and if it is not salvageable, you are out of luck. I was amazed at what good shape this gasket was in after almost fourty years of service. The flange gasket was completely deteriorated as I suspected and was replaced with a foam bowl wax gasket and new closet bolts. The toilet was reassembled is reverse order and we are back in business! If anybody hears of any replacement parts for these toilets, I would be very interested in hearing from you.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Hey Mark ~

Occasionally, Swirl-o-Matic parts have come up on ebay. Being that we have the same toilet, we have pre-bought some of the parts in anticipation that we might need them someday too. Glad you got things working again, at least for now!

Keep an eye out...you never know when you might come across bits & pieces!

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote