Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Bend , Oregon
'64 Overlander Toilet Replacement Photos?

Well, I've finally had it with this Swirl-o-Matic! After a half-century of use and a lack I parts I'm afraid that it has died a slow, but necessary, death. I've seen a couple photos out there of what some of you have converted to, but need some more ideas. Anyone have a few good pics of their post Swirl-o-Matic bathrooms?
Desert64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Check out this thread - post 56 for our version of this update: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f157...ml#post1312040

We came to the same conclusion after rebuilding the original (there are some sealand parts that can be used to rebuild the moving parts of the swirl o matic). It was a rotten design, imo.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:35 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Charing Cross , ON
Photos are before final painting.
Would totally enclose the lower panel if were doing this again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0154.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	201770   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0157.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	370.0 KB
ID:	201771  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0162.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	373.8 KB
ID:	201772  
Old 12-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Bend , Oregon
Thanks Janet and lbell!

Janet - I've seen your photos here before and I have to say I'm jealous...very jealous. Such a nice restoration. Thanks for the link. I'll keep it for inspiration.

lbell - I like your approach of retaining the original bench style seat. I'm sure this helped out on space in the trunk area which is something I'm definitely considering. I'm curious, what did you make the new front panel out of? Or maybe it is the original panel just repurposed? Can't tell.
Desert64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Charing Cross , ON
It is the original. I made a cardboard pattern then cut it and installed with a vinyl cording. The baseboard is bathroom vinyl also.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Rescue , California
We found a toilet to fit the original fiberglass enclosure. Thetford Aqua Magic 5 - Top Flush. The color matched the original fiberglass. We installed it this week with a new black tank. Looks like our next step is to paint and install the new floor. Hope this helps,I still have the templet I made if this will works for you. Check my post for pictures
Old 12-18-2013, 02:35 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
Lawrence , Kansas
StPierre
Do you have any photos?
ttbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Rescue , California
ttbikes Yes if you click on my name and go to find more post ,you will find pictures
Old 12-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
I'm right there with you. I never used the swirl o matic in mine. It had a crack in the plastic flange above the flapper - which the PO thought he could seal by smearing toilet flange wax into the crack.

I could have had that 3d printed, but when I pulled the toilet out, the aluminum cast metal had turned to dust.

Then, found out my fiberglass tank was cracked at the Thetford.

I've been building my own tanks out of black ABS. That allows me to install a new toilet with new waste connection where I want it. Also, I reconfigured the tank to allow me to put gray water in as well, and mix at the rear. You can find pics of some of this if you search my avatar.

As for the toilet install, I found the Dometic toilet at Vintage Trailer Supply. By chosing the short one, and the threaded toilet flange, you can dial in the exact height you need to reach the bench height. I then plan on cutting the back of the bench wall to get the toilet mechanics in there. There seems to be barely enough room to get the bowl in there. I had to disassemble the toilet to get it through the back access panel, and will have to reassemble the toilet once it's in the bench. I haven't cut the bench yet, but hope to have almost the same look as the original. I'll remake the bench cover just a little bit bigger, and hopefully you'll have to look twice to know it's not original. The flush valve will be a little tricky, so I need to work on that piece.

It's been a while since I started. We've had massive rain, and a lot of cold, so I don't have any pics of the toilet instal yet, since I haven't done it yet, but looking forward to actually have working gray and black tanks and toilet by spring.

My tanks I'm installing tank washers, and considering installing tank heaters too, but I'm not sold on those yet.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote