Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2018, 12:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Fort Collins , Colorado
63 Overland Shower Question

Hello fellow airstreamers!

I’m a newbie to the airstream community, and have found this forum extremely helpful. After reading through various threads, I decided it was time to reach out for some advice!

I recently purchased a 1963 26 ft Airstream Overlander Land Yacht, aka “Miss Loretta the Dream Stream.” I’m working on renovating her to take on a few month road trip to celebrate finishing my masters. It’s been quite the adventure, as the airstream renovation shop I took her to for a pre-purchase inspection and repairs turned out to be a scam. Thankfully, I found a great mobile rv repair shop to get her road ready, and am now back on track

My question for you guys is if anyone happens to know if the showers in this model of airstream had waterproof walls? The previous owner informed me that the tub/shower is original, and she simply added new paint. However, I am concerned about showering in it if there is a chance of damaging the walls. Someone suggested marine paint as a simple fix.

Thanks in advice and happy camping!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FFDBBDA9-FD7B-45C5-92FD-765207DEF27F.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	324689   Click image for larger version

Name:	D0C499A3-E522-4DC9-8ABB-B8E8CA317473.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	324690  

Click image for larger version

Name:	D848AE53-0A43-46B6-9010-6A564C9AA75D.png
Views:	75
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	324691  
kachicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:05 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Material Used in Shower Walls 1963 Overlander

Greetings kachicca!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Overlander ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachicca View Post
Hello fellow airstreamers!

I’m a newbie to the airstream community, and have found this forum extremely helpful. After reading through various threads, I decided it was time to reach out for some advice!

I recently purchased a 1963 26 ft Airstream Overlander Land Yacht, aka “Miss Loretta the Dream Stream.” I’m working on renovating her to take on a few month road trip to celebrate finishing my masters. It’s been quite the adventure, as the airstream renovation shop I took her to for a pre-purchase inspection and repairs turned out to be a scam. Thankfully, I found a great mobile rv repair shop to get her road ready, and am now back on track

My question for you guys is if anyone happens to know if the showers in this model of airstream had waterproof walls? The previous owner informed me that the tub/shower is original, and she simply added new paint. However, I am concerned about showering in it if there is a chance of damaging the walls. Someone suggested marine paint as a simple fix.

Thanks in advice and happy camping!

While Airstream is known for making running changes to its products during the model year, they were fairly consistent with the materials used in the shower area of the early 1960s coaches. Your 1963 Overlander is likely quite similar to my 1964 Overlander -- the shower/tub is fiberglass that is sealed to the interior wall. The exterior interior wall is aluminum while the interior wall that faces the bedroom is a Formica like product that is water proof (but due to age may need to be coated with a product designed for bathtubs/showers if it becomes porous). The main thing to check for is that any seams between the shower/tub unit and wall surfaces have been sealed with a high quality caulk to prevent moisture from traveling to the floor and causing rot.

Good luck with your Overlander!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:07 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Fort Collins , Colorado
Hi Kevin,

Thank you so much for your input! That really helps, as this has been one of many questions I have had about my Airstream since starting the renovation. I will definitely make sure to seal it with caulk

Thanks again! So thankful for this community forum!

Kaitlin
kachicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Ya but: Where does the shower water go? There is likely no grey (wash) water tank in your Overlander. You likely know the way your trailer is set up. My 66 Trade Wind had a bath tub with a shower head, but no gray tank. The habit back then was to spill the wash water on the ground. Not any more.

So I wonder how your Airstream is rigged for your long trip? You can always use the bathhouse.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote