Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2005, 02:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
63 Globetrotter toilet questions

The toilet in my trailer looks like it is the original (porcelain - a Thetford ?). It's got a foot valve to dump and shutoff you turn on to supply water for the flush. When I was winterizing it a leak developed between the shutoff valve and the toilet. There is a swivel type conection on the toilet (copper) and a short piece of line from there to the shutoff so I need to pull the toilet to repair whatever is leaking in this area. Any big tricks to pulling the toilet? Looks like you undo two bolts at the base and diconnect the supply line. Is that all there is to it? Is this swivel connection at the toilet a special part? This just looks too simple. Any reason to update the toilet or is this still the standard?
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:30 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Bell Canyon , California
replacing toilet

I have a 64 trade wind and I am replacing the toilet due to leaks. The previous toilet was not original and was not hooked up to the water supply on the trailer. What type of toilet do you recommend for replacement, and where can I find the toilet and fittings?
fzgrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
I replaced the original Saniflush with a Thetford Aqua-Magic Style Lite model so that we would have just a pedal flush instead of having a maually operated valve for water when flushing .The flange nuts were to short to fit through the new toilets base . I solved that by cutting the old bolts back and then attaching part of a new flange bolt (cut the foot off the new flange bolt so I had a small threaded rod) with a coupling nut. This gave a nice fit at the base and the coupling nut did not show.

Put on a new flange gasket, hooked up the waterline ,and back in business. Pretty easy plumbing job.

The old Saniflush was in perfect order and I still have it in case I run into someone in need of one.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Additional info

You can get this toilet at lots of RV dealers or online. As for the hookups, they are just standard supply lines from any hardware store.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
sherman oaks , California
Smile

I know your post is old but do you still have the original toilet? Would you sell me a part from it?
Mike
mmenchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Bell Canyon , California
Why pull the toilet if there is no need to do so. locate the exact area of the leak. That is remove the back access door find the leak. If it is leaking from the shutoff valve and the toilet just replace it with a plastic couple line. If the toilet itself is not leaking why pull it and replace it, leave it alone. Now, the swivel connection if it is not leaking leave it in and again attach the plastic line from the shutoff valve and the toilet. You can use a hose clamp to keep the line in place. I do not see a reason to remove the toilet. however, look for any long term damage from water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air View Post
The toilet in my trailer looks like it is the original (porcelain - a Thetford ?). It's got a foot valve to dump and shutoff you turn on to supply water for the flush. When I was winterizing it a leak developed between the shutoff valve and the toilet. There is a swivel type conection on the toilet (copper) and a short piece of line from there to the shutoff so I need to pull the toilet to repair whatever is leaking in this area. Any big tricks to pulling the toilet? Looks like you undo two bolts at the base and diconnect the supply line. Is that all there is to it? Is this swivel connection at the toilet a special part? This just looks too simple. Any reason to update the toilet or is this still the standard?
fzgrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Still have it

I still have the complete toilet but I don't want to dismantle it for parts ,sorry .