Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2023, 06:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
Kamloops , British Columbia
Question 23 FB Shower enclosure separating

Has anyone dealt with this? We use the shower as a pantry, and the weight on the seat must have pulled this (poorly secured) seam in the enclosure apart. I'm pretty sure I can draw the pieces close together again, but how to keep them together. Aside from filling this 1/2 to 3/4 inch seam with silicone... Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23 FB Shower.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	427681  
BrendaLail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
The lower part of the shower enclosure was probably not poorly secured, but not designed to have weight bouncing up and down on it while the trailer was being towed.

How to fix? Years ago I installed a Beckson screw-out deck plate (essentially this one: https://www.becksondirect.com/product/dp80-w/) in the vertical surface of the seat in our corner shower. This has given us additional storage room (at a premium in a 19 footer) as well as access to the bottom and back of the enclosure.

I suggest installing such a deck plate for the access to your problem. The bottom of the enclosure needs to have support added to lift it back into and hold it in place. Then you can recaulk the seam. For our shower I have used white Sikaflex because it has high adhesion and great flexibility. It's very messy to work with! While that seam is open, I would fill the gap with caulk before propping up the shower base. Be careful with squeeze-out (use masking tape to protect all places you do not want to be covered with caulk). While still wet, Sikaflex can be removed with alcohol.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 09:26 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Thanks

That's a great idea. Never would have occurred to me to build in an access to that area. Where exactly does it need support? Where is there a gap to fill between the floor and the bottom of the pan? I assume you shimmed it up somehow
Old 02-02-2023, 11:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We haven't had your separation problem, so have not needed to shim up the shower bottom. Our Sikaflex solution was to fix leaks around the roll-up door in our shower. Recaulking with ordinary materials lasted for the next trip or two. Sikaflex has now lasted years.

Our deck plate gives access to the bottom of the shower enclosure, so I assumed such a plate would work for you to be easily able to apply lift to the curved area at the base of the enclosure seat. If I would need to do that, my first attempts would be gentle to avoid damaging the enclosure. It looks like you would need to lift it a little less than 1/2 inch, so I would probably try a couple of pieces of 1/4 inch plywood. How to keep them from shifting around later? Glue them in place with Sikaflex!

Tim
Old 02-03-2023, 11:03 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Downey , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
.... Years ago I installed a Beckson screw-out deck plate (essentially this one: https://www.becksondirect.com/product/dp80-w/) in the vertical surface of the seat in our corner shower. This has given us additional storage room (at a premium in a 19 footer) as well as access to the bottom and back of the enclosure.....

Tim
Do you have any pictures of the install?
Glen Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Here is what it looks like today. I installed it many years ago and did not take pictures of the process. It wasn't difficult. I used a power jigsaw to cut the hole (protecting the gelcoat with masking tape), sealed (according to the directions with the plate) the flange with silicone sealer, and screwed it in place. The actual plate screws in and out easily. It did get a little sticky last year. A bit of silicone grease took care of that.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deck Plate in Shower.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	427720  
Old 02-04-2023, 03:14 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Tim, Thanks!

Our shower is laid out differently. I checked yesterday and there is only 7" space for a deck plate. So, 6" diameter hole. That may not be big enough for my purposes. I may have to approach it differently. Getting some good ideas though. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
You might consider putting a deck plate in the horizontal part of the shower seat. Because they are deck plates for a boat, they can support considerable weight. There, where you could look directly down, even a 6 inch access hole might serve you well. Of course, that assumes you have no other way to get to the base of the shower enclosure.

Tim
Old 02-06-2023, 09:35 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Downey , CA
Quote:
You might consider putting a deck plate in the horizontal part of the shower seat. Because they are deck plates for a boat, they can support considerable weight. There, where you could look directly down, even a 6 inch access hole might serve you well. Of course, that assumes you have no other way to get to the base of the shower enclosure.

Tim
On top may not be as comfortable to sit on the deck plate and may require more cleaning..
Glen Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Here is what it looks like today. I installed it many years ago and did not take pictures of the process. It wasn't difficult. I used a power jigsaw to cut the hole (protecting the gelcoat with masking tape), sealed (according to the directions with the plate) the flange with silicone sealer, and screwed it in place. The actual plate screws in and out easily. It did get a little sticky last year. A bit of silicone grease took care of that.

Tim
Hi Tim,
So what is in the cavity of the space you can now access? Do you store something in there? any modifications within to make it usable? The shower seat in the 19' Bambi is certainly much larger than the 23FB. I am intrigued with the potential for additional storage.

thanks,
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 11:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
The space is surprisingly large and, for us, also gives access to some plumbing. The size is because the space goes to the outer wall of the trailer. We have made no modifications to the space.

We now use the storage for hiking boots together with dry bags filled with freeze-dried emergency provisions. The latter we bought some time ago and the quantity was more than expected! Because the expiration date is something like 2045, that space seemed like a good place in case we might ever need the stuff.

Sure Glen Carter, the plate on the horizontal surface might be less comfortable to sit on, but it would still be a simple way to gain access to fix the OP's original situation. A pry-out plate would have a surface without indentations so cleaning would be easier.

We have been happy with what our deck plate allows. That might not be the case for all!

Tim
Old 02-06-2023, 12:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
The space is surprisingly large and, for us, also gives access to some plumbing. The size is because the space goes to the outer wall of the trailer. We have made no modifications to the space.

We now use the storage for hiking boots together with dry bags filled with freeze-dried emergency provisions. The latter we bought some time ago and the quantity was more than expected! Because the expiration date is something like 2045, that space seemed like a good place in case we might ever need the stuff.

Sure Glen Carter, the plate on the horizontal surface might be less comfortable to sit on, but it would still be a simple way to gain access to fix the OP's original situation. A pry-out plate would have a surface without indentations so cleaning would be easier.

We have been happy with what our deck plate allows. That might not be the case for all!

Tim
thanks for the reply!
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote