Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2007, 10:41 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
'05 Classic with shower leak

I posted last year that I had a shower leak and got some good ideas. Got some great calking from WestMarine and really sealed it up. I thought it was fixed but I'm on a trip right now and find water oozing out from under the front of the shower where the wood meets the floor AND whatever's leaking is so much that it apparentlly running across the trailer and into the area where my city water hook up is! I confirmed this because there is only water there after someone showers.

Anyone have anything similar or any thoughts? I'm taking it to the dealer when I get home but thought I check here first...maybe I'm not the only one.

Thanks
Mike
Old 07-28-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Mike, welcome to the shower leak club. I'm working on my 07 Classic shower now...did an 05 Safari last year and finally got it stopped. Reead a post the other day (or private message). Someone finally, after much caulk, took the shower door and surround apart to find a 1/8" gap between the inside and the outside shower enclosure. He packed it with caulk and reassembled it. Thinks it is fixed. Quality control problem...yes. If my last silicone caulking doesn't work, then it is remove the door, fill voids and replace door. Hhope this helps.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:34 PM   #3
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Pull the metal strip over the threshold. Caulk the corners and seal the screw holes. Also pull the inside fiberglass piece in front of this and seal everyhing under it.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
_

. , .
hi flynmike...

your leak reads like it could be behind the shower wall...

at either the shower head/pipe attachment or the mixer/on-off/pipe attachment...

another likely spot is the DRAIN pipe/seal...

of course it could be any of the pipe joints in the shower run too,

but the fixture/pipe junction or drain pipe seem more likely.

have you turned the shower on with ONLY cold or ONLY hot water?

your leak reads like too much water for simple caulking issue...

unless it's at the drain...

does your water pump cycle frequently when NOT hooke to shore water?

this would support a leak at the fixture behind the wall...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:03 PM   #5
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Had the same problem on our first trip after getting our '05 Classic... caulked the inside and outside and haven't had any problems thus far... see how the stresses n' strains of road vibrations changes it... now why is this a problem...?!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:47 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Thanks to you all...I already checked the plumbing, pulled the inside closet panel off and looked at the connections for the valve and shower hose as well as the plumbing in the pump bay and all good.

I already pulled the door frame apart and used some marine calk and did the frame and frame screw holes. The seam where the top part of the shower enclosure meets the bottom *looks* good but I might re-seal that. I sure hope it's not the drain.

Mike
Old 07-30-2007, 10:02 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Should not an '05 still have warranty coverage?
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:41 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It depends when it was sold if it's still under warranty.

The shower leak seems to be an ongoing issue if you take a look at the QC threads......
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:00 PM   #9
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynmike
I sure hope it's not the drain. Mike
Gawd... no kidding... but really y'all... sometimes, it takes a while to work out the bugs on this new shower technology... imagine! A shower stall... with a movable glass door to boot!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
I bought the trailer used from the dealership in Los Banos Ca...some guy traded his 05 on an 07...had too much money I guess . They took delivery in 04 so when I got it I had about 8 months of warranty. I thought this problem was just a leaky door but when I discovered the water leaking from under the trailer I figured I had a bigger problem.

I'm not going to mess with it on the road but I'm pretty sure it's the drain...don't know why I think that but I do...I just posted this to see if anyone else had the same issue. Guess I was right.

Mike
Old 01-13-2008, 03:34 PM   #11

What sealant have you folks been using ? I called the dealer and he said use vulkem 635 or 636. I have a leak where the metal door screws into wood with a white vinyl seal. Thus I need a sealnt that will adhere to those three surfaces.
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
2008 Classic 25FB with Shower Leak

The PO never took a shower becasue all the warning labels were on the fiberglass enclosure. So this weekend we took our first showers. First thing I noticed there is no water cutoff in the shower head but the Moen fitting prevents scalding so maybe this is not so bad.

So water stared coming out from under the shower corner where the carpet metal junction strip is attached. Carpet was a little wet.

If I sprayed water on the trim with the capped screw heads that is over the shower enclosure and the the shower door frame the water showed up. The plasitc trim is deformed in a few places.

I guess the best way to repair this is to remove the shower door and frame and caulk and rebuild.

I'm looking forward to only getting my body wet vs the trailer floor.

Next, fix the AC that is dripping condensation on the AS floor.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
The PO never took a shower becasue all the warning labels were on the fiberglass enclosure. So this weekend we took our first showers. First thing I noticed there is no water cutoff in the shower head but the Moen fitting prevents scalding so maybe this is not so bad.

So water stared coming out from under the shower corner where the carpet metal junction strip is attached. Carpet was a little wet.

If I sprayed water on the trim with the capped screw heads that is over the shower enclosure and the the shower door frame the water showed up. The plasitc trim is deformed in a few places.

I guess the best way to repair this is to remove the shower door and frame and caulk and rebuild.

I'm looking forward to only getting my body wet vs the trailer floor.

Next, fix the AC that is dripping condensation on the AS floor.

Kelvin
Oh no. We have a similar leak in our "new to us" 2004 classic 28. The second time we used the shower there was water leaking from under the shower out into the hallway. At first I thought I had just dripped water on the floor getting out, but the water kept slowly oozing out for several minutes even after the shower was turned off. It never occurred to me that it could be coming from a plumbing leak but that seems likely now because I sure didnt see any way that it could have come down through the shower enclosure, or from around the door.
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Our '05 Classic had a leak by the shower door hinge. Caulk took care of that. Been happy ever since.
nswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Our 2005 Classic had a similar leak. I got in the shower with some caulk made for bathroom wet surfaces and caulked all the seams and that solved the water leak.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Did you unscrew the whole trim and remove it then apply caulk?

Mine is a little deformed at the edges that rest on top of the fiberglass enclosure down at the bottom. Easy for water to get in through the bulges.

Kelvin
Old 05-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Shower Leak in 2005 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Did you unscrew the whole trim and remove it then apply caulk?

Mine is a little deformed at the edges that rest on top of the fiberglass enclosure down at the bottom. Easy for water to get in through the bulges.

Kelvin
No, I just applied the caulk without taking anything apart.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I attacked my shower stall this weekend. I ended up taking the shower door off. Not hard, just a bunch of screws and the door comes off. The the channels the door fits in and finally the shower door threshold. I took off the plastic flashing too. Very lightly caulk and the there is a wide gap between the fiberglass stall and the exterior wood. I decide to fill the void with the spray foamy insulation.

I cleaned all the old caulk off the parts and then started back installing and caulking as I went. I found some biscuit or almond caulk that worked well and used clear to seal the dark brown shower door pieces. After it had cured I ran the same water test that caused water to pore out between the show frame and the floor and it passed the test. Hopefully I'll never have to mess with it again.

Kelvin
Old 05-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Went out on a trip this weekend after making the show door leak repair but its still leaking after taking morning showers. It's 90% fixed as the water doesn't pour out the boot and run between the carpet strip and linoleum to the bathroom

I'm not sure where the leak is occurring. I removed the furnace vent on the front bedroom wall and from that hole I was able to see the shower drain. No leaking apparent from the shower drain and if there the water would not be able to drip onto the floor under the shower and run out to the hall way.

I took the wardrobe access panel behind the shower faucet and while the water was running I verified no leakage behind the faucet.

I have a moisture meter and testing the floor at the wardrobe next to the shower indicated no sign of moisture. As soon as I moved the meter probes along the floor below the shower door the meter started to register moisture. As I moved the meter along the base of the shower towards the bedroom and the carpet the moisture reading increased. I moved the meter around the shower corner on to the carpet. At the shower corner where the carpet and linoleum meet the moisture meter had its highest reading. Testing the carpet along the shower wall and bedroom carpet the meter measured drier conditions moving towards the trailer wall. So it appears water is getting behind the shower enclosure somehow through the shower door and wicking down on the inside shower wall to the floor behind the shower frame then weeping out to the hallway. Before I made the first repairs the water would run into the hallway. Now unless you are looking for it the water stays under the shower wood framework. If I place a paper towel along the base of the shower on the floor the towel wicks up the water from underneath to wood framework.

I'll let it dry out for the week and next weekend I'll retry the repair. I'll run the shower on the lower shower door area first on the wardrobe side when the door closes and then on the hinge area. Hopefully I can narrow down the area where the leak is and complete the repair successfully.

I wouldn't have thought this repair would be so difficult.

Kelvin
Old 05-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #20
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hello Kelvin,
I find that ours drips water on the floor when you open the shower door
( solid type ) to step out. I keep a small squeegee in the shower and try to dry the door ( and walls) after use and that helps minimize the drips when you open the door. I keep an absorbent towel on the floor. Can I assume from your description that yours is different and not just a door drip like I have ???? So far, at least, I have no reason to suspect leakage from any other places with the shower.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote