Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2022, 07:37 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
Winterizing the GSWH-2 Girard Tankless Water Heater

Winterizing the Girard GSWH-2 Tankless Water Heater

Imagine my surprise to hear the water heater fire up without the water pump turned on or connected to city water. I did not realize the water heater has a circuit that will keep the water in the heat exchanger above 38F if power and propane are available.

I did not know to turn off the water heater with the actual power switch, the one outside on the unit vs the user control panel in the bathroom. The user control panel switch resets any time the battery guard switch is cycled.

We're new owners and had to winterize for a snap freeze before we could get to warmer weather. I used air pressure to blow out the lines and then decided I'd better fill back with RV antifreeze. I'm glad I did and hopefully all is well.

I was heating with the furnace the while loading the trailer and just happened to hear the water heater turn on.

I've now done a more careful read of the manual. I also see the microprocessor pulls 0.2ah when the water heater is not in use.

Steve
TitusNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 02:15 PM   #2

2021 27' Flying Cloud
springfield , Pennsylvania
I did winterize my Airstream but Girard design sucks it freezes and cracks the copper no matter what. Also would help if they put the hinges on the other side so the wind isn’t catching it. They don’t cover with the warranty beware.
billjmen is offline   Reply With Quote