Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2020, 04:23 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Huntington Beach , California
What is this part? tracking down loud water-hammering

I added some flex line and an accumulator which helped with the annoying water pump noise. But now I tracked down the source to this little guy - looks like a simple filter, but its making all the noise.. anyone have a solution? I dont see how to burp the system from here.

Photo is upside down for some reason.. sorry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2866.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	364036  
Old 03-26-2020, 04:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Help?
Anti-siphon valve?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2866.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	364037  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Strainer. If it's clogged, it can definitely make the pump loud. Unscrew the clear housing and clear out anything inside of the screen.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
Strainer. If it's clogged, it can definitely make the pump loud. Unscrew the clear housing and clear out anything inside of the screen.
Thanks, will give it a try. looks clean from outside
Old 03-26-2020, 05:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
You might want to remove that stainless mesh filter, and run hot water through it, to remove any slimy build-up.

Also open each and every H/C faucet/shower(s)/toilet line to make sure there is no air in any line, then go around and do it again. Ditto for all the low-point drains . . . which might release some air trapped in a weird spot IMO.

Leave the pump on, and wait as long as you can, to make sure the pump does not cycle on again. If it does, you probably have a leak someplace, which could allow air to enter a plumbing line when you are not using the trailer.

With your new accumulator, and the air head ainside the top of the water heater, the pump should not come for at week or more, if there are no leaks.

Be sure to turn the pump off when the trailer is unoccupied, but leave all the faucets closed well. When you enter the trailer the next time, crack open a faucet to check that you still have water pressure left from before. If there is no pressure [water flow], this is another indication that you have a leak someplace IMO.

Happy trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Pump noise is something vibrating against the trailer body some where! Your strainer does not look like it is touching the frame so it is unlikely the cause. I would suspect a water line after the pump. Run the pump and start tracing lines...that would be my approach . The pump is never going to be entirely quiet. It is a wobble plate piston pump that naturally makes pressure pulsations.

JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
I added an an accumulator (mini pressure tank) to my system, amazing difference! It was so bad we didn’t want to camp without water hookup. Now, the noise, it is not noticeable.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:17 PM   #8
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I'm working my water system now as we post. There should be a flex hose running from the pump outlet to the house water system. The newer Sure hose kits are for both sides of the pump and they are 30-36" long. This acts as an accumulator when the hoses are relatively new, but if like mine they get old and stiff and no longer flex with the water pump surges. The same is true with old water pump diaphragms. So your problem could be more age than anything. Ditto on the pump inlet water filter.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
You say "noise", what kind of noise are you experiencing? I am with JCWDCW. Most noise comes from vibrating pipes within walls. I have an older 25 FB and my main problem came from the pipes behind the shower wall. Luckily I had an access panel in the closet I could use. I simply slid in some pipe insulation like you find at your local HD and that took care of most of it.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Water hammering, to me, is different from vibrating pipes in the walls. I have had hammering in a house that I owned. It was a single, "BAM" when turning off the water. When re-plumbing, I installed a water hammer arresting device which basically was a capped segment of pipe connected to the water line. When the water was turned off, it expanded into the "empty" portion of pipe and compressed the air. It never slammed into the end of the fixture. Case solved.

So, are you getting a single loud "bang" when you turn off a faucet? Or, are you getting a more sustained vibrating loud sound?
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brav View Post
It's odd, but at least with my identical looking strainer, the inlet is the inside of the steel screen. You'd think with a clear housing, the inlet would be on the outside so you can see any deposits, but nope.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
Pump noise is something vibrating against the trailer body some where! Your strainer does not look like it is touching the frame so it is unlikely the cause. I would suspect a water line after the pump. Run the pump and start tracing lines...that would be my approach . The pump is never going to be entirely quiet. It is a wobble plate piston pump that naturally makes pressure pulsations.

JCW
A clogged strainer will cause the pump to labor as it attempts to pull against resistance, which turns up the volume on those normal pulsations by an order of magnitude. No need for contact with anything, it'll just be loud all by itself.

I have a Shurflo pump with the quiet kit and an accumulator tank, and you can barely hear it normally. One day, it started sounding like a jackhammer under my kitchen sink. Lots of head scratching later, I found a bunch of plastic shavings in the strainer from my nice new fresh tank. Cleared it out, and we're back to normal.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
I added some flex line and an accumulator which helped with the annoying water pump noise. But now I tracked down the source to this little guy - looks like a simple filter, but its making all the noise.. anyone have a solution? I dont see how to burp the system from here.

Photo is upside down for some reason.. sorry
Hi, the filter should be on the bottom. It will work both ways but with the filter facing up, it will drain back into your fresh water tank. Then it will have to fill up again every time that you use your water pump.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
An excellent point, Bob, which further emphasizes the need to make sure all the air is out of the system, per Post #5. If new air is getting into the pipes all the time, there could be air trapped at a variety of "dead end" spots, including the outsider shower and the low-point drains.

Peter
Old 03-27-2020, 11:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Just wondering if all this is making sense, including Bob's recent suggestion to rotate the filter down, so that it is at the bottom of your setup?

Good luck,

Peter
Old 03-28-2020, 12:41 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Is the screen housing rattling against the water pipe in back also? if so a bit of foam insulation in between should help. As others have noted, removing air trapped in the screen body will help with pump suction pulsation. An air blanket in the discharge piping prevents water hammer, but in the suction it exaserbates pulsation.....
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 04:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
Pump noise is something vibrating against the trailer body some where
It can also be "cavitation", and that strainer would be a very likely cause if it is clogged up with the slime Peter mentioned. Cavitation is cause by to many restrictions on the input side of the pump. Three major restrictions are 1/2" pipe, multiple 90 elbows and that strainer.

In my trailer I was able to get rid of cavitation by changing that small Shurflo strainer to the "Shurflo Extreme" series which is larger and does not restrict the water flow as much. That was the recommendation of Shurflo and it worked for me.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:20 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I could sure gravitate to your cavitate point!

Well said.

Peter
Old 03-30-2020, 01:00 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Howell , MI
In our 2020 Flying Cloud the hot water heater is supposed to have an air space at the top that serves to dampen water pump vibrations/pulsing. There is a whole procedure for making sure that air pocket is there. But yah, the water pump is still noisy even after doing this. I don't think the water pump is mounted with proper vibration isolation. Perhaps while I am sheltering-in-place (COVID-19) I will take a look at this.
BandLAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:27 PM   #20
Just RVing

2009 30' Classic
Redmond , Oregon
What is this part? tracking down loud water-hammering

I experienced the same noises.

1. The short stiff hoses to and from the water pump. I replaced with longer water hoses and did a 360 degree circle before and after the pump. Secured the hoses away from any solid walls, pipes.

2. The solid water line under kitchen sink that was for an additional water filter. The water line was "flexible", but, it vibrated against the "S" trap drain pipe. Once I separated it from the drain pipe, The hammering noise stopped.

These two occurred at separate time, but, both quieted down the noise associated with the water pump.
Just RVing is offline   Reply With Quote