Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
McMinnville , Oregon
Water warm, not hot.

Greetings,
Monday we purchased a 2000 19' Bambi and all systems worked beautifully with one exception. We were hooked to shore power and city water and turned on the gas water heater. The light went on briefly, then out and I could hear the water heater fire up. In an hour or two we turned on the hot water, and got a blast of hot water, that immeadiately turned and stayed luke warm. This same scenario for the the two days we camped. I'm not sure if the heater is malfunctioning or if we are getting some cold water mixed in inadvertently. The valves that are in the hatch and next to the water heater are set as follows:
1. top and bottom valves are in the open position, parralel with pipes,
2. one in the middle is in the closed position, perpendicular to the pipe.

questions:
1 Is there another location for valves that I need to check?
2 Is there a test procedure I can go through before bringing it to my local AS guys?

Thanks,
Cameron
curnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Your water heater water line valves are in the correct position for normal operation.

Perhaps a thermostat failure? Try searching online for ways to troubleshoot and if necessary replace your thermostat.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
What you describe certainly does sound like the bypass valve (the center one) is partially open. It sounds like you have it shut however.

There is some possibility that the valve is leaking or not completely closed. You could test it by leaving the cold water input valve open, leaving the center bypass valve off, but shutting off the hot water output valve. In this configuration, you should get no pressure at all from a hot water tap in the Airstream. If you do, the center bypass valve is leaking.

Another possibility is sludge build up in the bottom of the tank, slowing heat transfer from the bottom of the tank (where the flame is), to the water. This can cause the tank to get very hot but not the water so much. There is a plug in the bottom of the tank. You could pull it and see what comes out.

I would try those first and then look at the thermostat.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
McMinnville , Oregon
Tin Tin, Wayward- you guys rock. I will drain the tank, and try the valve test. This is just what I was looking for. Cameron
Old 10-23-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Water Heater

Stick with these guys (gals) on the forum...they will keep ya pointed in the right direction.
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Did you bleed the air out of the tank?
Do it with water pump on and water heater off.
Make sure it has time to cool down first then lift pressure relief handle on hot water tank.Let out the air until water flows out.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Did you bleed the air out of the tank?
Do it with water pump on and water heater off.
Make sure it has time to cool down first then lift pressure relief handle on hot water tank.Let out the air until water flows out.
Actually you should fill the HW tank with the pressure relief closed. You want some headspace in the tank.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
McMinnville , Oregon
Thanks again for all the replies. I drained the tank and the water was very clean. I then checked the valves and found the middle valve was not closed all the way, so hand tightened it and presto, everything is copacetic. Hot water. Man, these airstreams are really cool.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:17 AM   #9
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
You had me thinking hard on this one... It was like, "HOW could there not be at least six gallons of hot water in there?" Glad you found it. And, yeah, these things a pretty stinking cool! Enjoy!

-Red