Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2004, 02:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Water pump wiring ??

Does anyone know what the correct coupling of these wires should be? For various reasons, none of them very bright, I pulled the pump out a long time ago and snipped the wires. I can't seem to find my original digital photos that show me how it should be hooked together. The pump works when the 2 black wires from the motor are hooked directly to 12v. It is the connection of the wires from the pressure switch that I need to know about.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wpump.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	7015  

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 02:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Just a guess because my water pump was sitting in an overhead bin when I got my Overlander, but wouldn't the pressure switch be in series with one of the motor wires? That is, when the pressure goes low (faucet ON) the pump comes on to build up pressure.

Does your pump motor spin the same direction regardless of how the wires are hooked to the battery? Does anyone know if it would matter? My first guess is "no".

The capacitor probably just hooks to battery plus and minus to filter noise. If it has a "+" or "-" marking on it, it matters how you hook it up. If not, make sure it does not get hot/warm when you hook it up.

Because I need to know also,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 03:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Actually, the motor does not reverse when switching the wires from the battery. It only runs in one direction, and does pump water.

I will try a few combinations. It is easier to play with while it is out of the trailer. If anyone knows how it should be, that would certainly save me some time!

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 06:18 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Barry,

Connect one of the black wires to one side of the pressure switch, the one without the capacitor. Wire the power feed (+) to the wire with the capacitor, to the other black one to the other wire (-).

This will wire the pressure switch in series to the pump motor.

In the 70's the hook up hose to the tanks was a black plastic hose like is pictured. It should have safe for drinking water printed on it.

The Capacitor is there to help filter out noise made by the motor
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote