Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2021, 05:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
SPOKANE , WASHINGTON
Water Pump will not shut off

2016 International FB,
Very little use prior to buying it this year.
Was told only 4 nights of use.
Was winterized prior to long term storage by prior owner

It is currently at the service center. (Airstream)
They think the pump needs to be adjusted or that It is too large of a pump.
I am pretty sure it is the original one but not 100% sure.
It is a Sureflo 4048-153-V75. States it is a 4GPM and they think that may be an issue. I have a feeling that is not the problem.

Water pump continues to run and will not shut off. It does not have any water leaks anywhere. I have a feeling it has something to do with the backflow back through the pump.

There does not appear to be any air in the system.
Filter is really clean.

Any Ideas? What pump came in your airstream.

Thank you.
ARMYGREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Could be a slow leak somewhere or air in the lines. But if you have checked for it and there is none and no air then most likely the pressure switch on the pump if the pump is correct for your trailer. Either need a new pressure switch or you can also adjust it.

As to whether it is too large for your trailer, I couldn’t say. Beyond my expertise. Maybe someone else can speak to that.

I had a similar experience, and there was air in the line. When I towed the trailer it somehow got the air out and I have no more problems. I did buy a similar Sureflow pump just in case. Airstream would be able to tell you the proper pump.

The best thing to do is just turn on the pump when you use it. I know it is a bit of a hassle. But it will be a lot quieter.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Sure sounds like air in the lines. I open each valve one by one, including the toilet and inside/outside shower taps. It's tricky and a pain but mostly it's air that needs to be purged. If we're only on the fresh water tank and holding tanks we prefer to just live with it or else purge at home before we hit the road.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Sure sounds like air in the lines. I open each valve one by one, including the toilet and inside/outside shower taps. It's tricky and a pain but mostly it's air that needs to be purged. If we're only on the fresh water tank and holding tanks we prefer to just live with it or else purge at home before we hit the road.
Yep. The old adage that you start with the simplest solution first. Especially if the camper has not been used much.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:39 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
SPOKANE , WASHINGTON
I have run through all the faucets multiple times trying to get more air out, also multiple days apart and still having the same problem.

Airstream says it need to be adjusted or a new pump. They recommend a 3gpm pump. I am not an expert on pumps but I don't see how a 4gpm pump would be the problem.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome armygreen: I agree with you. I've installed 4 gpm at 30 psi pumps in a couple of Airstream trailers. The only problem is they will pull more amps from your battery if you do dishes and take a shower at the same time. The pumps have a pressure switch that shuts off the pump when that pressure is reached. If you were to cap off the outlet of the pump to isolate it from the trailer's plumbing, would it build pressure and shut off? Modern pumps have an internal check valve to prevent water from filling the fresh water tank when connected to city water supply. Maybe the check valve has failed and the pump is leaking internally. Galloping in circles so to speak.

Tell the Airstream techs you like the 4 gpm pump and to diagnose why it won't build pressure and shut off.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:14 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Andover , Minnesota
This such an interesting topic. We bought a used — new to us 2019 Bambi Sport from a reputable Airstream dealership. It got the once over before sold. It was cleaned - apparently received new tanks (if we heard correctly) was winterized - tested - rewinterized before delivery to us. We typically use home water in our tanks and the pump no matter how much we attempt purging is noisy. And you have no idea if your noisy noise level is normal or abnormal. Ask our local dumb dealership and they give a pact answer of — they are noisy. That’s not helpful. During this winterize process we sure hope to learn if our pump is acting up. If they even know.
PEHennek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEHennek View Post
This such an interesting topic. We bought a used — new to us 2019 Bambi Sport from a reputable Airstream dealership. It got the once over before sold. It was cleaned - apparently received new tanks (if we heard correctly) was winterized - tested - rewinterized before delivery to us. We typically use home water in our tanks and the pump no matter how much we attempt purging is noisy. And you have no idea if your noisy noise level is normal or abnormal. Ask our local dumb dealership and they give a pact answer of — they are noisy. That’s not helpful. During this winterize process we sure hope to learn if our pump is acting up. If they even know.
I don't know why you would be getting new tanks unless something serious happened to damage them. You should clear that up with the dealership

These water pumps are noisy. They will run until the pressure in the line reaches a certain point and then cut off. If there is air in the line the pump will continue to run because it's compressing the air and can't reach its cutoff point, or if the pump is defective. You have to open the taps one at a time to purge the air. This is best done at home so you don't empty your fresh water tank. I do it as the last step in de-winterizing.

When filling your FW tank you should use a food grade hose (white, typically) and not your standard garden hose. Also have food grade hoses when connecting to campground spigots and have an in-line water filter. We also use alcohol wipes to sanitize the spigot before hooking up.

For winterizing there are a bunch of threads on how to do that, along with your owners manual. Just use the search feature on the page.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:50 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMYGREEN View Post

Filter is really clean.
I had the same problem on an SOB we owned. Turned out that there was debris in the pump diaphragm. Nice RV Tech told me to just pull its covers off and look for debris then reassemble. Did that three times between leaving home and returning from a trip to Alaska. The Tech says that in assembling the fresh water tank most manufacturers are not real careful about small plastic parts left in the tank while drilling holes for various attachments. It’s the number one complaint and solution with water pumps. I bought a new pump just in case (and because his advice was free!)..it’s still in it’s original box.
Hikingsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:30 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Chatham , Virginia
Quote:
I have run through all the faucets multiple times trying to get more air out, also multiple days apart and still having the same problem.

Airstream says it need to be adjusted or a new pump. They recommend a 3gpm pump. I am not an expert on pumps but I don't see how a 4gpm pump would be the problem.
If it’s pumping water AND air, the air comes from before the pump and or the pump.
1. Tank could be empty .
2. leaky water pickup in the tank.
3. Pump diaphragm may be cracked these things don’t like to sit unused..
4. faulty pressure switch
Check your pickup line going into pump. If your relying on the dealer to do all these things then just let them replace the pump and be done with it.
bigfoot390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Okay, forgive me for being obtuse, but "will not shut off"
1. With the switch?
2. With faucets closed?
3. With faucets open?

These pumps have an internal diaphragm and valves to push the water. If that leaks the water doesn't move, thus no flow. It's all inside the pump. People replace the diaphragm or even the entire pump since they're in the neighborhood of $160.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41esin5CXJL._AC_SX355_.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	405645  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
2016 International FB,
Very little use prior to buying it this year.
Was told only 4 nights of use.
Was winterized prior to long term storage by prior owner

It is currently at the service center. (Airstream)
They think the pump needs to be adjusted or that It is too large of a pump.
I am pretty sure it is the original one but not 100% sure.
It is a Sureflo 4048-153-V75. States it is a 4GPM and they think that may be an issue. I have a feeling that is not the problem.

Water pump continues to run and will not shut off. It does not have any water leaks anywhere. I have a feeling it has something to do with the backflow back through the pump.

Filter is really clean.

Any Ideas? What pump came in your airstream.

Thank you.
There are a few reasons that a water pump will run continuiously:
1. If the fresh water tank is not filled properly, it does not have water filled to a point above the water intake (needs at least couple inches in the tank)
2. The pipe, fittings, or filter/screen that are inline between the fresh water tank and the water pump are either loosed or cracked, letting air get into the pump. (one of these is the most likely culpret) Double and tripple check the screen assembly and pipe connections at the pump.
3. (similar to 2) the winterizing kit has a valve that is not in the correct position and the cap/seal is not installed properly, letting air enter through the valve.
4. The pump diaphram is damaged (not likely)
5. There is trash inside the pump holding the diaphram open (possible but not likely)
6. The pump head is cracked. (if winterizing done incorrectly - see instruction in owners manual)
Old 10-07-2021, 09:43 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
SPOKANE , WASHINGTON
It will not shut off with faucets closed.
The switch does shut it off.
Tank is full of water.
It does not pump air after the air is out
Of the system.

Thank you for all the replies.

I bought a new pump. Should be here next week.
I will install it and then dissect the old pump to see if I can find anything wrong.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:13 AM   #14
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
ARMYGREEN,

Might be interesting to somehow attach a pressure gauge to the water system and see what the PSI actually is.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 05:44 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Chatham , Virginia
Quote:
It will not shut off with faucets closed.
The switch does shut it off.
Tank is full of water.
It does not pump air after the air is out
Of the system.

Thank you for all the replies.

I bought a new pump. Should be here next week.
I will install it and then dissect the old pump to see if I can find anything wrong.
Pressure switch.
bigfoot390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 02:32 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Asheville , North Carolina
There is a 5/16 Allen head on the end of the water pump on my 2022. 27GT. Turn the Allen in one direction and you can get the pump to run continuously even w all faucets turned off(that’s your pump) adjust it too far in the other direction and the pump surges off and on and gives you surging water from faucets as if someone is alternating turning the faucet off and on (that’s what my pump was doing). Use the 5/16 Allen to find the sweet spot between these 2 extremes and the pump will stop surging and stop running continuously when faucets are turned off.
ashrink12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 02:47 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
You can find videos about this pressure adjustment by searching your pump by name on YouTube.

On my pump, it was impossible to get your head inside the cabinet so you could easily locate the Allen adjustment screw. I had to rely on feel and a small mirror to find the screw that my 5/16 Allen could seat in.
Old 10-10-2021, 03:18 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Pentagram Shurflow Pressure adjustment video

Here’s the link to YouTube “how to adjust the pressure regulator” on your airstream water pump to prevent surge/starve pulsing and/or a pump that runs constantly

https://youtu.be/4qdhmiaRaRE

There are other helpful tips included like priming your pump and cleaning out the filter screen
Old 10-10-2021, 03:21 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Oops the spell check got me. Pentair not pentagram
Old 10-10-2021, 08:16 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
The first year I had mine I winterized poorly. I think there was still some water in the pump and it froze. Next spring, lots of pump action (I could hear it), but no water pressure. New pump fixed my mistake.

Stan
Salt Lake City