Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2020, 05:16 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
I echo all the above and would ad, check the material the pimp is mounted to. Our 2014 25, Flying cloud RB twin had a noisy pump (banging not the pump running noise) discovered the board the pump was mounted to was held down by 1 screw, when it should have had at least 4. While I was in there I added the accumulator and some foam padding were the lines contacted the frame work. Now all we can here is the noise of the pump motor running. Much quieter, but we know it its working. It's not rocket science, but does take a little work to sort.

Good luck,

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:59 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York

Yeah . . . ya gotta watch those loose "pimps" carefully!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:12 AM   #23
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I expect any "pimp" would be noisy if you put one or four screws into him, but then screws are what it is all about.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:21 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

. . . and mounting . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:26 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Point , Oregon
When I had my wp replaced, the guy said I could run a foam insulation wrap (like you would to prevent pipes from freezing) down the pipe that runs to the bathroom area, etc. and that would muffle the rattle/noise. I haven't done that (seems a little hard to access but not impossible), but it made sense. That's a cheap solution if it works.
A.S. Beauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:46 PM   #26

St Albert , Alberta
Check for air in the system

I had a similar problem with our water on a FC 23 FB: After winter storage the water pump was very noisy - especially in the middle of the night when there is a small drop in the pressure and the pump brings it up again.

My problem was air in the system. Air trapped in the pipes can cause the pump to 'hammer' when it is compressed. Despite bleeding all the air from the taps, there was still some air between the low point drain valve and the system. There are two drains on mine - forward of the water tanks and aft below the pantry. The aft drain valves are hidden behind a panel at the bottom of the pantry. Opening these valves and running some water out the bottom to push the last of the air out of the system brought it back to normal.
Mrfurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:16 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Overland Park , Kansas
Check pump fuse

We have a 27’ Globetrotter and the pump was also really loud. We also had a problem with the lights above the sink flickering. I noticed that the pump fuse was loose in the fuse holder and replaced the fuse. The pump is now quiet and the light flickering is gone. The old fuse did pass a multimeter continuity test but it would intermittently indicate an open circuit when installed.
WoodGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:38 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Mooresville , North Carolina
... Just returned from a 16 day trip through lower and upper Michigan and, again, it was AWFUL unless hooked up to city water (2 of the 4 campgrounds). We’ve watched YouTube videos but nothing helps.

Anyone have a fix we haven’t tried?? TIA...[/QUOTE]

Mine made a fair amount of noise because either the pump or the lines that were closely attached to the pump were pressing up against the side of the Airstream and that vibration was creating the noise. What I did as a fix was to take a piece of mini cell foam and put that between the water pump and the side of the Airstream and the hoses . That significantly reduce the amount of noise.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:09 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hutchinson , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver72 View Post
I did all of the above. Nothing worked. Replaced with a Remco variable speed pump. Problem solved.
I did the same. Super quiet now. Easy swap.
stephenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
MY 2014 FC came with the flexible hoses, I'd be surprised if you didn't already have them too.

My pump is mounted on a shelf and it came loose which really caused a racket. A few screws securing the shelf made a huge difference.

I don't get how an accumulator would make the pump quieter. It would reduce cycling, but I'd think the cycles would still be noisy.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:20 PM   #31
Just RVing

2009 30' Classic
Redmond , Oregon
Thumbs up Water pump wakes the campground

I have a 2009 30 Classic. I had the same problem. Had Air Stream check out the excessive noise. They told me it was common and normal. I questioned what they meant with the term "normal."

I found a post that said the ridged pipe being used was the problem.

I replaced all the fixed pipe with soft flexible pipe. I added additional footage to the pipe and made a 360 degree circle to the input and output pipes. Ensured all pipe was not laying next to a hard surface. Double checked for the rubber insulators under the water pump.

This has repaired my noise lever from the pump.

Happy RVing and traveling!
Just RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:35 PM   #32
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just RVing View Post
I have a 2009 30 Classic. I had the same problem. Had Air Stream check out the excessive noise. They told me it was common and normal. I questioned what they meant with the term "normal."

Happy RVing and traveling!
The same problem for at least 13 years does not make it "normal".

Old 09-13-2020, 07:00 PM   #33

2019 19' Flying Cloud
2006 37' A-Series
Cincinnati , Ohio
We are having problems with the lights flickering when the pump is running which just started this year. The pump is also making more noise - starts out loud then gets a little quieter, but this is different than in the past.
smilinkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:48 PM   #34
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Lights flickering usually means a loose wire connection. The vibration of the pump may be shaking a wire connection near enough to cause the wire to separate briefly, over and over.

Pumps will get quieter once they have pumped most of the pressure up and get into maintenance mode.

Old 10-09-2020, 08:52 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Water Pumpiong Noise

I have a 2019 22' Sport. Every time I ran my water, city or onboard tank, the pump sounded like a machine gun. Upon nosing around the area around the pump, I determined it was on a pad, but the water pipes we free floating in the air between the camper shell and the grey water tank. I few strips of Gorilla duct tape later I had the pipes against the tank. The only thing I hear now is a hum from the pump. I do like the idea of foam insulation tubes around the pipes, considering there's only about 1 inch between the pipe and the camper shell. Seems like it could be a little extra cold-weather camping insurance.
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:57 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
I was doing a 3-week camping trip and on the first morning my lights flickered badly when I ran the water pump. Next night/morning we had no heater because the battery had gone down to 8 volts (Bad). I replaced the battery and had no problems with flickering lights and I had heat throughout the night. My camper is a 2019 22' Sport, so I wasn't like I was stretching the battery lifetime. It was just too weak to provide the needed runtime to the morning.
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:57 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVSCH View Post
I have a 2019 22' Sport. Every time I ran my water, city or onboard tank, the pump sounded like a machine gun.

You shouldn’t have the water pump turned on when connected to City water.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:03 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Quieter Pump

This pump is very quiet. May not need the accumulator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pump.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	428.0 KB
ID:	380419  
Old 10-10-2020, 12:16 AM   #39
Njg
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Columbia , Missouri
Water pump wakes the campground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver72 View Post
I did all of the above. Nothing worked. Replaced with a Remco variable speed pump. Problem solved.

Which model of the Remco did you install?
Njg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:00 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Following these pump issues

Lots of good info. 2020 Bambi 20’ purchased June 2, 2020. So newbie RV’er and AS. Knocking noises on mine seem to vary in severity during my trips. 35 days into 50 day trip now. Looking in the rear storage on left side near light red and white water lines side by side running toward read and up through hole toward sink area. They touch each other at the upbend. I noticed these moved a lot and when I moved back and forth they’d bang on wood and against each other and rear of trailer. Although very difficult to do due to location I have stuffed some rags between them and side of trailer for now. Also put some zip ties around them to hold them together. Currently in RV camp with city water, but hope to boondock or being in gov park without electicity and water after tomorrow. Will see how things go. But the rubber bushingsunder pump, Shurflo Silencer Kit and Accumulator seem like good ideas to follow up on when “back in port” before election.

By the way, I read all the comments about AS pump waking up the campground. Makes me wonder if the folks in the “cheaper” (and quieter) trailers say oh no, AS pulling in nearby. We’re gonna need to use the earplugs to get to sleep tonight.
smsasf is offline   Reply With Quote