Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2004, 09:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Water Pump running, water is not...

Hope someone can help...we leave Friday, water or not.

We have a 1980 Caravel, w/Shurflo water pump model #205-033
I've read other posts and have looked for an open valve without success. When we turn the pump on at the control panel it turns the pump on, but no water is flowing. I see on some of the new models, they list "self-priming" as a feature. Do you have to prime the older ones?

Any help much appreciated!
CampSayler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 11:27 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampSayler
Do you have to prime the older ones?
All of the models post 70's will be self priming.

You have some kind of leak on the inlet side of the pump. Either a loose hose connection or the inlet screen/filter is leaking or clogged. All of this should be easy to identify on the inlet side of the pump. To test the pump you need a section of half inch hose, a bucket, and a hose clamp. Remove the inlet line and strainer from the pump, install test line onto inlet barb with clamp, place other end in a bucket of water and turn on the pump. If it runs and stops with pressure then the trouble is between the pump and the tank.

Inlet strainers are normally the trouble when you have these symptoms.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 11:37 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for your reply Brett...O.K., I removed the strainer, dropped a hose from the inlet side to a bucket and still no water. I don't feel any suction. The motor is running, so that means fuses are o.k., right? I read a post where a guy said he blew into inlet side to get things going, but my hose is really gross...is there a chance that would work (I hate to run to the store for nothing).

I'm guessing the pump is bad. If that's the case should we replace it with another Shurflo or are they junk?

Thanks for the help! Laurie
CampSayler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 11:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
My past experience has been when the pump won't self prime, and there are no leaks, the pump needs to be rebuilt or replaced. The rubber in the pump looses its suppleness over time and when it reaches a certain point it is just not going to self prime. I found my replacement on Ebay for about $50.
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 04:34 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
sound to me that the rubbers in the pump are gone
I had the same problem
but I am dutch so it must be cheap
I got me a small rubber sheet and cut it to the right sice
cost me 1 euro = 1dollar 20 cents
pump works great now even after two day's no power to pump there is still presure in the lines
Remco The Netherlands
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote