Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2016, 05:15 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Gilbert , Arizona
Water pump running but pressure low.

During the rebuild process of this 1977 Argosy, I have just had the fresh water tank repaired at the inlet. It now has no leaks. Installed it, connected all the lines to and from the pump including a new filter. Half filled the tank, no leaks in the system, switched on the pump, runs but pressure seems to be low. Two clues. Pump does not shut off and slow flow from faucets and no flow from shower. Shower is at the end of the line. I have no idea how old the pump is. Does all this suggest a pump replacement is in order?

1977 24ft Argosy - sold.
Picinisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
Are you sure there are no leaks? When I started on my trailer a year ago I found 3-4 leaks that has the same symptoms.

The other way to have poor flow would be if the water heater was filling (I had that too) or you have air entering on the suction side of the pump.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
I second the air on the suction side, took me forever to find that one tee valve had crud in it and didn't close off completely, after I had replaced the pump, which didn't fix the problem. The nice part, this type of problem doesn't leak water out, just air in, so no hidden worries.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:48 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Gilbert , Arizona
I will take the pump apart tomorrow and check for crud. Then re-Teflon tape all the joints.

1977 24ft Argosy - sold.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:11 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Be sure screen at pump clean and start running water from farthest point to exclude air from system..
mcomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Gilbert , Arizona
Took it apart to clean it. No debris. But a small round black disk fell out about 3/8 dia with no apparent place that it came from. Now there is no suction whatsoever. New pump on order.

1977 24ft Argosy - sold.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:28 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Every year I take the screens off at the end of the faucets where grit from water/waterlines accumulate and block flow. I have had them just trickle and also be fully blocked at that point. Just something to look at...
Old 10-16-2016, 02:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavergne View Post
Every year I take the screens off at the end of the faucets where grit from water/waterlines accumulate and block flow. I have had them just trickle and also be fully blocked at that point. Just something to look at...
Good idea, I'll have to check mine.
I've had two AS now, and never been happy with the water flow.
My Hi-Lo had much better flow at lower pressure. (45 psi regulator vs. 55 now.)
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
Good idea, I'll have to check mine.
I've had two AS now, and never been happy with the water flow.
My Hi-Lo had much better flow at lower pressure. (45 psi regulator vs. 55 now.)
Alright; Just HOW does one remove the faucet strainers to clean them???
The galley sink strainer is a green 'jobbie' flush with the nozzle.
And the bathroom sink strainer has a very smooth 'knobbie' protrusion that one cannot grasp, even with a padded slip joint.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Mine is a 1978 model so I don't know how newer models are. Mine just unscrew from the end of the faucet and the screen is inside. I also clean the screen in the filter on the inlet side of the pump...it's between the pump and the water tank. That filter is only to catch larger particulates in the water before they get into the pump and damage anything.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:44 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
water pump

Its amazing the amount of grit that gets through screens over at the faucets.
I had to replace a pump. I used the Artis pump, it was a great price at amazon,
http://artisproducts.com/products/po...esh-water-pump

Like $57 or so at the amazon. I thought I would give it a try to replace my sureflo. I want to get a rebuild kit for it if I can for my sureflo for backup.
This new Artis pump is working like a champ, I installed it today. Added big rubber bushings from shock absorbers for isolation, and the flex hose from sureflow to wind it around to reduce the hammering on the output. I put the hose in foam insulation to alleviate any vibration of the hose.
Eh it helps. Pumps are a little noisy compared to the 'states' water or a 'local municipalities' water supply. Pumps make noise but this one is quieter than my previous sureflo. Its not bad, 3.0 gpm.

In case you have to replace your pump , this could save you a little cash.
safe travels !
Old 10-16-2016, 08:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
It is a trade-off between flow and how fast the water tank becomes empty.

The original polybutylene piping with lots of Ts and elbows has increased line loss, hence low flow. It is less expensive to build a water system using this type of low pressure pipe with fitting that can be easily crimped. But in my view it does not due well in freezing weather.

When I purchased the trailer last year it was 30 years old and the winters had damaged the system in several places.

I replaced my water lines with Pex. Using a 3/4" cold water main to a manifold with 1/2" pipe running to the four devices near it (water heater, shower, sink and lavatory). I also added a pressure tank to help the pump run smoothly and eliminate chatter. Kinda fun to do this, however with the improved flow I will need to watch the water usage.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:46 PM   #13
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Make sure one or more of your low point drains are not open. Also, if your water heater is still filling your pressure will still be low. If you have an outside faucet be sure it is closed. Air check the system and see if you hear any leaking air.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:09 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
The easiest way to check for a suction leak is to add a sight glass in the water supply it should be clear not cloudy with no bubbles and it must be after the pump. Suction leaks (aka pre pump) well cause low pressure and cavitation. Any leak after the pump should be visable.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote