Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2020, 04:59 PM   #1
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Water Pump Occassional Burp without a leak?

My water pump will cycle on for half a second or so, every few hours. I've checked for leaks and can't find any. It would be a very slow leak if it's a leak. I know that there can be some expansion/contraction especially in the water heater that could cause this. In any case...just a question, does anyone else experience their pump cycling on for a second intermittently? If not, I'll keep looking for a slow drip somewhere!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:44 PM   #2
Korry Classic

2007 27' Classic FB
La Pine , Oregon
We had the same issue for years, 2007 Classic. While in the restroom I noticed a very, very small drip (1 drip every minute or so). I replaced both of the springs and washers, in faucet. Problem solved.
KorryClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:55 PM   #3
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by KorryClassic View Post
We had the same issue for years, 2007 Classic. While in the restroom I noticed a very, very small drip (1 drip every minute or so). I replaced both of the springs and washers, in faucet. Problem solved.
Thanks...I am going to place tissue paper under faucets and various connection to see if I can discover anything that way. Driving me nuts (not the noise, it's very sporadic--it's just the taunting of it possibly being a slow leak!)
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
It may be a tiny leak back in the check valve in the pump itself, or Korry Classic said, a tiny leak at the toilet or a tap. Every once in awhile ours does the same thing but usually corrects ifself. You could take apart the pump and rebuild it!!
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 06:05 PM   #5
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
We always turn the water pump off after every use. This eliminates the annoying burp from happening - especially at night. The system doesn’t need to remain pressurized.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Our pump has "burped" sometimes when I haven't gotten all of the air out of the system.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:09 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Oriental , North Carolina
Mine does that on 2018 FC26U. It hasn't been a cause for concern for me since it only last less than one second before it restores full pressure in the system. Sometimes I think it is because of air still in the system which hasn't worked it's way out yet.
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:23 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
My water pump will cycle on for half a second or so, every few hours. I've checked for leaks and can't find any. It would be a very slow leak if it's a leak. I know that there can be some expansion/contraction especially in the water heater that could cause this. In any case...just a question, does anyone else experience their pump cycling on for a second intermittently? If not, I'll keep looking for a slow drip somewhere!
This was driving me crazy as well. I couldn't find a leak anywhere. Finally one day I took everything out of the closet and removed the panel (two screws) that hide the inside part of the city water connector and there it was! Water was dripping ever so slowly down in between the two aluminium panels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3482.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	368158
devilsbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:30 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Saint Thomas , Ontario
Hi. Same thing on our 2018 FC25FB Twin. I cannot find a leak. However - I have noticed a very slight pulse of water coming from the fresh water flushing holes in the toilet when the toilet has not been used for awhile. That said I have not noticed any high water levels in the toilet. If in fact the toilet is the cause of my issue, it is very minor.
CoorsLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:55 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Somewhere it snows , Ohio
Secondary issue to watch for

I had the same problem which happened to be caused by a leaking check valve in the water pump. This value directs water to your pipes when you are hooked up to city water or via your fresh water tank when dry camping. At least in newer AS (mine is a 2018) the value is part of the pump and supposedly cannot be fixed. Was under warranty so they replaced the pump. It could be that the labor to fix the valve is more than a new pump so they just replace it.

Another issue to look out for which will confirm it is the check value is if your water tank fills mysteriously when you are hooked to city water. What is happening then is that a trickle of water gets past the value and enters the tank which eventually fills. That is a sure sign it is the check valve. Fix value or replace the pump as needed.
Airdream99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:58 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Thanks for the discussion. We have the same thing happening. This helps with troubleshooting.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:34 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmithii View Post
Thanks for the discussion. We have the same thing happening. This helps with troubleshooting.
I will try to not to repeat what others have said but owning three AS and currently full time these things happen, many can cause serious issues and some a benign. Here are two, one common and one rare to look into.

Rare one first: this one took me a month to resolve. If you had the dealer install a winterizing kit on your water pump (the value that shuts of water for the input into the water pump and then redirects the input flow to a hose you stick in a one gallon tank of winterizing fluid) then consider this potential if you have given up on everything else. It turned out for me this valve had a slight flaw to it. When the water pump was running it would actually suck air into the water lines yet not let water out. The air in the lines, though slight, was enough for the water pump to occasionally burp. The valve was replaced with a new one and the issue of burping went away. Rare, but its always a possibility.

Second one not so rare, the water heater: the issue of the water heater slowly releasing over heated/pressure water from the check valve is pretty darn common. And it is hard to detect in many cases since if it is a slight releasing of pressure its so hot there it evaporates and no evidence around of a leak. BUT, here is where the grand majority of issues happen on these water heaters...the overheating is FAR FAR more common when leaving your 'ELECTRIC' water heater element on all the time. This brand of water heater has a history of this issue. My last Airstream was problematic with leaving it on all the time and my current 26U full-time I can not leave it on all the time because of over pressure. I thought I had a water leak somewhere and after a week of tearing things apart I stopped using the electric element for a couple days and ran only gas. Zero burping with the gas. Turned the electric back on, burping returned. After COIVD I will replace the heating element coil temperature element for the electric coil...kind of a semi common issue.

Good luck.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:59 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Lewisville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsbox View Post
This was driving me crazy as well. I couldn't find a leak anywhere. Finally one day I took everything out of the closet and removed the panel (two screws) that hide the inside part of the city water connector and there it was! Water was dripping ever so slowly down in between the two aluminium panels.

Attachment 368158
This happened to me too.
NO NOIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:34 PM   #14
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have had a real slow leak in the toilet inlet water valve combined with a leaky flush gate valve that eventually filled up the holding tank. Then the cause of burping became obvious. Just clean the groove and R&R the inlet valve.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:20 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Going Where , The Climate Suits Our Clothes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan-B View Post
I will try to not to repeat what others have said but owning three AS and currently full time these things happen, many can cause serious issues and some a benign. Here are two, one common and one rare to look into.

Good luck.

Thank you. Those are very helpful. I have the water pump run for a second every twenty minutes. It drives me crazy because I'm conditioned to look for the leak. But no water at all on the ground or mysteriously filling tanks. I'm scheduled to have JC look at it in a month but until then you've allowed me to sleep a little better.
Beerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:54 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Petrolia , Ontario
Burp that air.

I second Adventure.AS comment; "turn the water pump off after use". This is especially important going down the road. I've heard of individuals draining the water tank when a sink handle got bumped open by "something" in travel. You can be assured it didn't all end up in the grey tank while bouncing down the road.
I'd add that I had an intermittent (all too frequent) pump activation, until I realized there was a tiny bit of air locked in the outdoor shower. Once that air was gone no more problem. I still turn off the pump when it's not in use though.

Jim
Portage to Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:46 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Anacortes , Washington
I accidentally discovered the occasional 'burp'. A couple days ago I took apart the Grohe bath sink faucet because it was acting strange while I was checking everything for hopefully our first trip soon. I removed the cartridge seeing one of the two small rubber washers laying at the bottom of the unit. I removed that and noticed is was a little mis-shapen. While at it I cleaned up the cartridge and washers and put it back together (turned over the suspect washer). Since doing that with the pump on overnight, I noticed we no longer have the 'burp'. I guess this was the cause of it.
Pat Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:47 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Petrolia , Ontario
Thanks for the update, good to know. I'll be sure to check my faucets. I recall now that you've mentioned it, when I changed out my carbon filter a couple years back, I noticed one of the rubber seals in the connector was missing. I had only been "lucky" that it didn't leak.
Stay well, stay dry.
Portage to Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:59 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Fort Myers , Florida
I had same problem, it turned out to be the pump itself. Had it replaced and problem went away
stevenson748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1994 28' Excella
1950 19' Globetrotter
Elgin , Texas
If you do replace this pump with a new one (similar). Consider taking it apart and cleaning the filter, check-valve etc.
Save the old one as a backup.
But if you don't want to spend money as other posters have suggested - just turn it off when not in use.