Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2020, 12:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Water Pump Issue

I have a 2013 27FB Flying Cloud that I just purchased. Over the last few trips I have noticed that the water pump occasionally makes a louder noise that usual. When this happens I have opened up the access door and can see the pump shake a bit more than normal. We also noticed some of the lights flicker a bit when this happens; however it might be isolated to lights on the same circuit. The main lights in the kitchen area do not flicker (only noticed the bathroom lights).

Last weekend we were out and this issue has increased in frequency where it happens almost every time we run water. I have checked the filter screen, looked for a kinked supply line hose, and used city connection to make sure there is no air in the system. Note that water flows smoothly so I am pretty sure that it is not air in the lines. In checking the pump it has a manufacture date of 2018 so the pump has been replaced.

I have purchased a winterizing kit and plan to install the valve and possibly try and suck water from a bucket using the winterizing hose to take the supply hose out of the equation. Any other ideas?

Again water flows fine so it is just an annoyance and likely not great for the pump. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter
Peter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
It sounds more like a mechanical issue with the pump or an electrical issue. Next time check the battery voltage when it is normal and not normal. Does it do it more frequently when some of the lights or other devices are on? Can you check for resistance on the pump leads? When it is doing id does it change if you open a second faucet?
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:47 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Thanks Brian I will double check the electrical connections. As the pump has been replaced I can see electrical tape. I may reconnect to confirm a good connection and use heat shrink so it is neater.

Also no real difference when we open multiple taps.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Check the the shelf the pump is mounted on is secure. Mine came loose and made a racket. I screwed down the shelf and it got much quieter.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Good idea to check for a good mount. If the mount is fine and you can't find an electrical issue, also rap on the front body of the pump with a rubber mallet or similar when it is noisy to see if the pressure safety and check valve are sticking.

It could also be a bad motor bushing but that seems odd.....
Old 09-17-2020, 08:23 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Last night after work I had a few minutes to work on this issue. First I checked the 12 volt and noticed that they had just twisted the wires together and then "secured" with electrical tape. I reconnected with butt connectors and thought I had resolved the issue.

Turned on multiple taps and everything seemed fine. Then as I was cleaning up my wife came in and I told her to try the tap and glory in my work. The issue immediately started again.

Tonight I will try the winterizing kit to see if it is a supply issue.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:25 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
I double checked and the pump is well secured to the floor.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Dang. This one is going to be stubborn.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:45 PM   #9
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Peter

Can you post some pics of pump etc several views connections in and out and maybe make short video of it making noise load to YT and give folks visionary powers.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:10 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Of course as soon as I want to video the pump mostly behaved. You can see it intermittently happen. I am convinced it is a supply issue and work on it on the weekend. I have been too busy with work to spend much time on it the past few nights.

hopefully this link works.

Again things I think that I will try this weekend:
  1. Cleaning the filter screen with CLR or something to make sure there are no mineral deposits. It does look clean but with my old eyes I might not be able to see the deposits on the metal screen.
  2. Take the filter out completely and see if that makes it go away.
  3. Install the winterization kit and see if it happens when drawing from a bucket of water
  4. Screw it and make the dealer fix it under extended warranty
Old 09-18-2020, 02:17 PM   #11
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Peter,

And some good moments at that! That should get some comments.

Hey AF community, does that mount look crushed, out of whack? Maybe allowing pump to contact floor.

Another possible source to consult is see if pump mfgr has a tech line and share concern with them.

Good stuff!

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 09-18-2020, 04:41 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Overland Park , Kansas
We had a similar problem. The pump fuse was faulty or perhaps just loose in the fuse holder and so the circuit would intermittently open and close. On our 27 FB Globetrotter there is an indicator light next to the fuse holder that will show this. I replaced the fuse and the problem went away. The fuse does show a little corrosion at the contacts but still passes a multimeter continuity test.
WoodGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:40 PM   #13
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Peter

Also, run pump again but put your hand on it. Move it around on the mount. Does the noise change, hit a bad spot etc.

Gary
Old 09-18-2020, 08:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
That was a good idea to provide a video. So the issue is that the bypass mechanism is messed up or set incorrectly. The pump recycles (bypasses really) excess capacity internally to allow for variable flow rates. When the pump does the clicking and shaking it is because that mechanism is not working properly and the pump starts to stall or seize. There is a screw to adjust the bypass sensitivity. The catalog shows where the adjustment is but the manual describes how to adjust it. https://www.pentair.com/content/dam/...rv-catalog.pdf
Old 09-19-2020, 05:58 AM   #15
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Peter,

Pump was replaced has a 2018 date, right?

I saw a YT Shurflo pump R&R and the mount is rubber and flexible, correct?

How about disconnecting both hoses, let the pump sit "flat and floating" and reconnect hoses checking hose routing carefully and not putting a twist on the pump. Idea is that pump housing is contacting floor on the back L corner as seen in video and what it hits bypass the pump is rattling bumping on floor.

Keep the feedback coming.

Gary
Old 09-19-2020, 08:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Peter, That was a great video. I think you have three things to look at.

1. the fuse as mentioned by someone with experience

2. the pressure sensitive adjustment screw. This fixed a problem I had many years ago in another trailer. Mine was recycling too much and a simple adjustment cured that. I found a good explanation of the adjuster in the literature that came with the pump.

3. I think your mount is a bit whacky. This probably isn't a cause of the clicking and shaking but it will add to the noise as things start shaking. It looks almost like the end is hitting the floor.

The pex on the right appears to be too short, thus lifting the right side. If you can't adjust that you could cut a spacer to elevate the pump so that it levels everything out. Since you plan to add a bypass, all three of these things can be done at the same time. Good Luck
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:45 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Thumbs up

Success...

checked the fuse... nope
adjusted the bypass... nope but I really thought that was it.
Adjusted the pressure shut off and bang that was it.

alternatively it was a combination of bypass adjust and pressure shut off adjustment.

I tested about 1/4 tank of water so I think that it is dialed in now.

Huge thanks to everyone's suggestion.

Now off to install my lithium batteries . Still waiting for victron parts but we had crackheads in the back alley last week so need to get the batteries under the bed.