Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Water pump has a slow leak?

My 78 sovereign still has the old style belt driven water pump and is seems to be seeping a little bit from somewhere cause thebsubfloor is wet around it after it has been running. Are there gaskets that need to be checked/replaced or am I miles ahead just replacing the old girl? I'm in the middle of a camping trip as I discovered this...is there anything I can do to hedge my situation right now?

Thanks all!

Stream on
lewishw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The old Par pump stile with a belt drive is sturdy and reliable, but (in my opinion) does not pump much water. Parts are available, but somewhat hard to find and quite expensive. I have had many Airstreams and wound up replacing the Par pumps in each one of them. My preference is Flo Jet, but the more common one is Sure Flo. Depending on which model you pick and where you get it, the normal ones are $50 to $90 and the fancy speed regulated ones are in the $150 to $200 range. Again, my opinion is that the fancy ones are not worth the extra money, although they are good pumps.

So, rebuild your 35 year old pump or replace it with a newer one. Cost to rebuild is going to be about the same as a new pump of a different type.

As Snoopy said, when he was head beagle of the Puppy Farm: Decisions, decisions, I have made 100 today, and most of them were probably wrong.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I used the one below on my boat and would use it on my trailer if I needed a replacement. The Par pumps vibrate and are noisy. I tossed 2 out a few months ago.

Flojet 03526 144A Triplex Diaphragm 3526 Series Automatic Water System Pump : Amazon.com : Automotive
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
I replaced our original Par pump w/ a ShurFlo - much quieter, and provides more water at higher pressure.

You may have a leaking diaphragm in the Par pump. This is typically the problem if the pump doesn't keep cycling on. You may be able to jury rig a repair with a piece of rubber gasket or truck inner tube.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

The shurflo Revolution pump is great, $70 bucks, great consistent pressure.
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewishw View Post
My 78 sovereign still has the old style belt driven water pump and is seems to be seeping a little bit from somewhere cause thebsubfloor is wet around it after it has been running. Are there gaskets that need to be checked/replaced or am I miles ahead just replacing the old girl? I'm in the middle of a camping trip as I discovered this...is there anything I can do to hedge my situation right now?

Thanks all!

Stream on
The diaphragm has probably developed an aneurism. Repair with a piece of inner tube or maybe a little thicker rubber, I think it mics at .060. I used some roofing rubber off a roof rebuild. Check that you got all the screws out before you try to force the pump apart, there's a couple screws hiding, it should come apart without much force. The diaphragm pump itself is held together with a screw bolt I think, take that apart, sandwich your inner tube between and put it back together. Haven't had a leak on my rebuild I did in '08 yet. Price is right, hardest part is getting to the back screw holding the pump down to the floor.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I just bought a NSTAR 3 GPM @ 60psi pump from Northern Tool. The Northern tool part # is 2683061.
I use the pump to transfer grey water from the original 12 gallon tank, to a 21 gallon auxiliary tank I installed over the axles. I now have 33 gallons of GW capacity, without tearing out the floor or belly pan. Or dealing with a portable tote. Only lost 4 cubic feet of cabinet storage. Which I made up for in other areas of the coach.
The pump is really quiet and looks well built. It cost $90.00.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote