Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
water pump connections?

Hi,
I have a 74' Land yacht which got refitted with pex piping . During the refit they decided to forgo the stand alone pump connections. The pump is there just no intake and out put piping. How does this connect ? Does the feed go to the tank or T into the water pipe? Does the tank get pressurized by the pump? A photo would be helpful. Barry
batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If I understand your question, the piping through the trailer is complete and the pump mounted but not connected to anything.

The suction line from the tank goes to the input side of the pump. If it is not marked just while your finger is across one side of the pump power it on for a second. If you feel suction on your finger that is the input side.

The output side Tees into the trailer cold water system. Once completed either the pump, while off city water, or the city water system will supply water to the trailer.

While on city water the pump acts as a check valve to keep water from going into the tank. While on the pump there should be a check valve at the hose connection that keep water from escaping via that connection.

While making the connection on the input side of the pump make sure you plan for winterizing the trailer by either having an easy way to disconnect the line and suck antifreeze into the pump or by putting in a Tee and valve that you can connect antifreeze to.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:24 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
Thanks

Thanks for the information, I liked the idea of the T connection. I am totally new to this, just a trailer my father had and I decided to fix it up , loads of work, unfortunately the last person who used the thing didn't empty the waste tank and it got on the frame and skin, eating it out like uric acid will, so into steel tie ins on the frame and replacing skin in the back. I like a challenge though. Some of the things on the interior I will keep but there is lots of room for improvement. Everything that go back as a faster will be stainless, since most of the screws are corroded. Barry
batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
It is a good idea to install an in line water filter between the tank and water pump. I'm talking about a small inexpensive filter designed to catch the big stuff not a more expensive filter to purify the water.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Yes the filter is a good idea but if you do make your winterizing connection on the input side of the filter or it will freeze.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Bozeman , Montana
I just did my 1st winterization on my baby. Got it in July. Loving and learning it. This forum is incredible! Almost every ? I've had I can find answered if I look. Gotta ask once in awhile though, right?
So, on the intake side of the pump, after the filter, in the short hose before the pump I have a spring in the hose. The spring is in the hose and buttted against the pump intake fitting. Was this a type of backflow valve that's missing the ball? I'm going to replace some of those lines before spring and add what's needed so want to get it right. Thanks.
treeair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeair View Post
I just did my 1st winterization on my baby. Got it in July. Loving and learning it. This forum is incredible! Almost every ? I've had I can find answered if I look. Gotta ask once in awhile though, right?
So, on the intake side of the pump, after the filter, in the short hose before the pump I have a spring in the hose. The spring is in the hose and buttted against the pump intake fitting. Was this a type of backflow valve that's missing the ball? I'm going to replace some of those lines before spring and add what's needed so want to get it right. Thanks.
I doubt that the spring is part of a check valve , the check valve is built into the pump. The spring is more likely there to prevent the hose from kinking on a bend , especially on the suction side.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote