Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2004, 12:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Water Pump

I'm new and I'm lost.
My 1961 Overlander water pump or something that I think is the water pump. My question, is this a air compressor or a water pump? The only line from the Pump is going to the water inlet valve. I have 12V's going to the Pump but no noise when the power is turn on. Water tank is empty, no pressure at this time.
If someone would be so kind to tell me what I have and what to do with it, whatever, will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:47 PM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Dave - is there any way you could post a picture of this item? That would sure help in offering suggestions.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 03:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Water Pump

Greetings Dave!

What you have probably found is the air pump that helps to maintain pressure in a "pressure-type" rather than "demand-type" system. I don't know precisely when the switch was made to the demand system, but for some reason the year 1964 sticks in my mind - - I know that my '64 Overlander has always had the demand system; and one of my friend's who has a '60 Overlander had a pressure system (at least until very recently). The major difference between the two systems is that the pressure system will have a metal water tank (usually galvanized steel) while the demand system will have a "plastic" tank. Another clue is that the city water connection and water fill apparatus are very often the same device on a coach with a "pressure-type" system; while you will find a separate connection for city water and a filler tube for the fresh tank on most coaches with a "demand-type" system. Also, the pump runs nearly every time a faucet is opened with a demand system, the air pump "typically" will run less frequently.

From your desctiption, it sounds like the pump may not be functioning properly, as I would think that it would be trying to add air to the empty water tank to bring it up to its pressure set-point. If it is like my Overlander, there is a light switch near the kitchen sink (may be inside the kitchen sink cabinet if it is like my friend's '60 Overlander) that controls power to the pump (it looks like a normal household switch).

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 04:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Water (?) pump

My air pressure system has a 'Grover' air compressor and an aluminum tank. I have a installation sheet if you need it, send me your fax number.
The air pressure systems usually have an air stem on the filler neck so that it can also be pressurized with an air hose at a gas station.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 04:38 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

water pump

Thanks a bunch Flyfshr, but I don't think I need to post a picture because Kevin described my set up as if he were standing there looking at it.
Thanks Kevin, I'll try and get this air pump to work but I may have to go to a demand pump and if I need your help I'll be back, thank you for the information and help.....Dave....
Old 01-12-2004, 04:49 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Water Pump

Thanks to you Markdoane for the information and I have the pressure system, with the valve on the water line. I'll try and get the pump to operate before I go demand. I don't suppose the Air pumps are still in the system. would like to replace that if needed other than all the plumbing. Is your Air Compresser a small air pump? This is all new to me. Thanks.....DAve....
Old 01-12-2004, 04:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
pump

I was going to upgrade to a demand pump, mostly because I'm replacing all my plumbing. I honestly don't know if the air pump still works, but it did last time I tried it. If you get further alonf, let me know.
1. did you check the wall switch that turns the pump on? It looks like a light switch
2. did you check the in-line fuse and the screw-in fuses?
It sounds to me like you don't have power to the pump. If you have power, I think the air pump should at least buzz or hum if you turn it on.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 07:15 PM   #8
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Under Pressure

Not all pressurized systems used a compressor. I have a Schrader valve on the side of my inlet tube that was pumped up at the gas station or with a bicycle tire pump. My trailer was without a battery system and was considered (although they weren't called this back then) a "park" model. Everything was either 110 volt or propane.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 08:31 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Water Pump

Thanks Markdoane and Flyfshr for all the information you have given me today. When you know nothing about something, it's hard to think about what may be wrong with it. Thanks for the hit about the bicycle pump, saw the air valve by the water faucet, had no ideal what it was for. Please have patience with us new guys, we will learn if you teach......Thanks again.....Dave...