Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2022, 12:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Ojai , California
Water heater won’t work

Hey folks,

We have a 2016 FC 30FB with dual water heater. It quit working on us and I’m stuck trying to figure it out. The bathroom switch would usually light up for a sec or so while it ignites, but it no longer does so. To be clear, I flip switch, gas or electric, and it won’t even blink with red light. It’s like the switch is dead. Check all fuses and replaced one but it didn’t do it. Any clue of what the issue might be? I’m guessing it is something electric
porthas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:58 PM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
porthas,

This is a tank type water heater with propane or 120VAC heating correct?

Lets start on propane it's easy to see if it is working. Can you confirm that your propane system is functioning correctly? Just light a stove burner for a few seconds, nice blue flame I hope. If not that's a starting point.

Next this is best done with two people. One inside to turn on PROPANE heating and the other outside to listen and observe.

When the propane switch is selected the ignitor should be sparking, click-click-click etc like a gas grill. And the propane solenoid also clicks. You can put a finger on it and feel the coils snap the valve open.

And if you see anything questionable on the outside of the water heater take a pic and upload so others can look for issues.

Keep the feedback coming.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Have you touched your tank to see if it is hot? If it is….

Mixing valve problem? I suspect you have a mixing valve. These can go bad or get encrusted with junk that prevents the thermostat on them from opening up the hot water from the tank.

If it is your mixing valve….you can get a new one….or you can try taking it off and soaking it in white vinegar for a few hours. I’ve had to do that several times….and it works.

If it isn’t….then it’s something else. You would think if the igniter is the problem it would still work on electric….

But you can easily tell if the igniter is working. Just open up the outside compartment and look…and also touch the tank to see if it is hot.. If hot it is your mixing valve.
Daquenzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:52 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Ojai , California
@GCinSC2
Yes it's a dual type tank.
Propane is working, flame is good from the stove. When i have someone turn on the switch, absolutely nothing is heard or happens on the outside where tank is. No ignition, or clicks. Nothing questionable on the outside, all looks to be in order.

@Daquenzer
It is cold, both when doing gas or electric.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:14 PM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
porthas,

Can you provide the model number of the tank. This might help pin down troubleshooting tips.

I recommend taking a few minutes and visit https://myrvworks.com/manuals/ and you can download various types of manuals for RV appliances and more, no charge. On Darren's YouTube channel he has many water heater diagnostic videos.

Are you handy with tools and a multimeter a DIY type or a do it for me DIFM? No offense its just a question.

Look on the control board top right corner, do you see a 2 amp blade type fuse? Use a fuse puller (I bet your tow vehicle or car will have one with the fuse block area) pull that fuse and look and if possible test with an Ohm meter to check if its blown.

This is a copy of an Atwood service manual for water heaters and it does have a trouble shooting guide.

Keep the feedback coming.

Gary
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Atwood-Water-Heater-Service-Manual.pdf (1.01 MB, 35 views)
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:31 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Ojai , California
Definitely handy with a multimeter and other tools. The water heater is Atwood GE-9 ext. The fuse in the heater tested good. I will check the resources you sent and see if I can find something. Thanks!
Old 07-04-2022, 09:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by porthas View Post
@GCinSC2
Yes it's a dual type tank.
Propane is working, flame is good from the stove. When i have someone turn on the switch, absolutely nothing is heard or happens on the outside where tank is. No ignition, or clicks. Nothing questionable on the outside, all looks to be in order.

@Daquenzer
It is cold, both when doing gas or electric.
Not your mixing valve then. The fact that both the electric and the gas does not come on indicates it could be a thermostat problem.

Search atwood water heater in RV is not heating.

There is a video that shows you how to troubleshoot.

Daquenzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 12:50 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Redmond/Tucson , Oregon/Arizona
Good video but left me with a question. I'm having the same problem as the original poster. The video shows 2 little red lights on the control board. Question - Are they supposed to be lit when board (and thermostats) are working properly? Or do they light up on thermostat failure?
Thanks!
davetoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:49 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Ojai , California
so my issue ended up being thermal cut off, easy and quick fix, but diagnosing it was the biggest issue, because I couldn't understand why the switch in the bathroom won't light up either the electric or gas. I took multimeter and tested the wires coming to the main board of the water heater.

I first checked the wire coming into the board from the switch, brown and white (one for gas and other for AC), both had ~12.5 coming in. Then I took it down the wire coming into thermostat and then thermal cut off. So everything was on before thermal cut off and nothing right after, that's how I figured it was the issue. Easier would probably just be plugging it directly without thermal cut off for testing purposes only, would save me a lot of time.

PS. The switch supposed to light for fraction of a second and then go off. Mine didn't do anything, no light at all.