Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2004, 12:18 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Water heater, toilet problems on a MH

Been gone awhile, so it is good to be back, even with problems.

1. After a heavy rainstorm my water heater started and continues to blow the 20 amp fuse that powers the control panel. Assume it is the auto pilot but how to fix?
2. I have a Galaxy/Starlite thetford valve type commode made of plastic that is progessively leaking clean water thru the valves that you flush it with. I can reach, barely, back there and a daily change of a old towel is stemming the flow but need to know if those valves can be fixed or is it time for a new sitter.
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 12:33 PM   #2
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by zduke4x
2. I have a Galaxy/Starlite thetford valve type commode made of plastic that is progessively leaking clean water thru the valves that you flush it with. I can reach, barely, back there and a daily change of a old towel is stemming the flow but need to know if those valves can be fixed or is it time for a new sitter.
I can't address your water heater problem, but I replaced a similar commode in my '85 motorhome. I bought a new one, then took the old one out to install the new one. It looked like the old one was probably repairable; I suspected that the old plastic hoses were just old, stiff and brittle and didn't seal well on the valve body any longer. Either way you'll have to pull the old commode up, but I wouldn't buy a new one 'til you get the old one off and assess what's actually going on with it. If it's a cracked valve body, it's probably time to replace the unit.

Remember that there are two nuts holding it down; the front one is pretty easy to get to. The back one has to be accessed through a port in the commode body that has a little cover that you pry out. You'll have to unscrew that one by feel as you won't be able to watch what you're doing.

Bear in mind that the new toilets DON'T have the same footprint nor do they have the same bolt pattern position as the old one, although the black seat can still be used if you turn it 30 degrees or so. I ended up re-engineering the entire platform that the commode sat on in the 325 as it was too short for the new commode base, and had a heat duct running under it. It was NOT a good time, but it worked out and really looked nice when I finished it.

Check out this thread for more info:

Thetford commode thread

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 03:20 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

commode

thanks Roger,

Found the back bolt, now to find the time....jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote