RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-21-2021, 04:17 PM   #1

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
water heater removal on 2019 28' FC

The water heater in my 2019 28' Flying Cloud froze up and is leaking now that it has thawed (was unable to get out to winterize before storms hit Texas). Most of the damage was to the water lines outside of the trailer, but the main valve, and potentially the water inlet are all leaking. Fortunately it wasn't a lot of water, it seems to be contained within immediate vicinity of the water heater.

Unfortunately I'm not able to get an appointment at the dealer until April for repairs. I'm trying to decide whether to leave it as as, or if I should attempt to remove the water heater to try and dry the wood up underneath. I'm worried about mold/mildew building up if I leave it this long.

Dumb question, but with these newer ones do you just remove the styrofoam, and then pull it out from the opening on the outside of the trailer? I don't see a way to remove it inside of the trailer (it is underneath the couch). I was only able to find info on removing water heaters from older models.

Is it worth the effort, or just leave as is and let it dry on its own?
streamer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Wink

A fellow Airstreamer used this company to replace his water heater. Not sure if you have any interest in the trip from Austin to Dallas.
Here is the post. It is post # 2 in the thread.
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...al-155436.html
At any rate it sounds like these guys could handle replacing and are somewhat close.
Silverbee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Another idea. Reach out to your dealer. I bet someone in the service department would at least tell you the best method to get it out.
Silverbee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:43 AM   #4
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
water heater removal on 2019 28' FC

Streamer99,

Did you confirm that the tank itself is leaking/split or just pipes and fittings?

You might be surprised how PEX can be serviced. There are clamps that do not require special PEX clamp ring tools only a common channel lock pliers. Greatly increases accessibility. PEXlock.

Any pics? Assuming Atwood?

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I would not take it out just to dry the floor. I have taken several WH out of Airstreams. But in your case I would get a heater/fan and blow hot air in there until it all dries out.e
If you do decide to remove it it comes out from the outside. Maybe with the foam intact.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Are you still within the 3-year warranty? If yes, be sure you don't void it with removal of the hot water heater by either you or a non-AS dealer.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:31 PM   #7

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
This is a great point, and one I had not considered. I am still within warranty period, and didn't know that removing water heater on my own would void it. This pretty much answers my original question, I'll leave as is. I'll dry things out best I can with fans and such. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-22-2021, 03:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
I seriously doubt removing the water heater could void the warranty. Part of the reason I believe this is that the freeze damage pretty much already voided the warranty on anything that could be effected by doing that. They can't legally void the warranty unless they can prove something you did caused the covered problem you want them to fix.

With that said if not putting in the new water heater I wouldn't remove it and leave a huge hole in the side of my trailer.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
streamer 99 - I apologize for my wording in my post about voiding your warranty. I was implying you should check with Jackson Center to be sure you didn't void your warranty by removing your water heater - not that you would void it if you removed it. Sorry for the confusion. A call to JC's technical support would clear it up and also provide advice on what you could do between now and your April appointment.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:59 PM   #10

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
No problem at all PatLee. I'm going to just leave this in, and continue to run fans to dry out the flooring in the surrounding area as much as possible. Doesn't seem worth the effort to pull it out, dry things up, and put it back in until I can get it serviced.

Expensive lesson to learn to be prepared in advance. Turns out it can even get cold in Austin