Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2019, 08:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Haslet , Texas
Water Heater question

Tried searching but the website is glitching. I have a 72 27’ that we are rebuilding. I have finally finished the roof repair, back half frame replacement and new marine grade plywood floor. We are in the planning stages for plumbing and wiring before we can move forward. My wife and I aren’t using propane on it. Only electric. We have made the decision to go tankless mainly for space. After doing more research than I ever thought I needed to do on them I am just as confused as before I began. We will be using a Shurflow 2088 model which is rated at 45 psi and 3.5 gallons a minute. My question is can I run a heater designed for residential which is small and less expensive? Something like this
https://www.homedepot.com/p/18-kW-Se...O-18/203316216
If not what other recommendations would be out there? Thanks in advance and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
jeremyrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
That heater requires 240VAC which you are not going to get anywhere you go camping. I am not sure why you have an aversion to propane. Any on-demand electric is going to be a high power device; there are probably 120vac units out there but I imagine the current draw would be enormous. I am certainly not an expert on water heaters but I would rather have propane unit on a travel trailer.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 12:01 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Indeed you *do* get 240V anyplace you plug into a 50A power pole at a campground. The heater needs 40A at 240V so you will have 10A "left over" on both sides of the feed. That's not enough to do much of anything with.

The Shurflow 2088 is simply a pump and not at all the same thing as the tankless water heater you refer to.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 12:54 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Haslet , Texas
That’s what I was wondering. I am not completely against propane I just want to mount the generator to the tongue instead of propane tanks. It’s not like propane plumbing would be hard since it’s completely gutted right now.
jeremyrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 01:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
You are going to want about 2 gpm for an Oxygenics RV shower head, maybe more for others. The critical thing is going to be how many GPM you can get for a particular temperature rise. If you are camping in the cold, your water temperature could be 40 degrees or less. You will want at least 60 degree rise at 2 gpm. I don't think you re going to find one that will do that on 30A service, but you can look. Search here under plumbing forum for tankless to see if anyone has successfully done it.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 02:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Propane lines are routed outside the trailer until they reach their destination. I personally prefer propane for both water heating and cold weather space heating. If you do want an on demand water heater I think propane would be the best way. It takes a lot of energy to heat water fast. You are going to need a big generator to run the WH. I am happy with our Atwood 6 gal heater that heats from either electricity or propane. I just do not like tankless water heaters. We live in one or the other of the 2 trailers for 6 plus months of the year and the hot water with the 6 gallon water heater has not been a problem so far. As an experienced trailer user, I would hate to try to use an all electric trailer unless it was parked and wired like a house. Propane provides a lot of energy though a small line for cooking, heating, and heating water.

I do not know if it is true, but I did read once that more trailers burn from electrical issues than from propane issues.

We do not have lithium batters (at least not yet) and we can still stop for lunch, boil coffee, heat a sandwich, and heat water with the propane. Actually the WH is so well insulated the water stays warm for 12 hours anyway so we do not turn it on.

You will have to make a choice on 30 amp or 50 amp wiring. One reason I like using propane for the big stuff is that then one can get by with 30 amp service. If you are going all electric I assume the 50 is where you will be.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote