Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2017, 07:25 AM   #1
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Water heater not heating...

Howdy folks been busy settling in but now have an issue I could use pointers on.

2018 FC25 (FB)

Everything's been dandy for this first month of being in her dull time until now.

Left on a trip and turned off the water heater (I use electric being on shore power) to save electricity.

When I came back I switched it back on and am still waiting for hot water 12 hours later.

I do not have a water heater manual or other specific information ..I have since discovered . And I have searched the forums but found no satisfaction.

No breaker tripped, (especially the water heater specific one).

Am I correct in believing that I can rely on electric full time on shore power and do not need LPG? Danged switches in the lav always getting accidentally hit but using shore power intentionally full time.

Ideas...? Thanks in advance, chilly down here atm..

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
You are correct. So either your heater is not receiving shore power, it does not have 12 volts DC for control, your control board is bad, or the heater element has failed.

My heater has what looks like a standard residential switch to turn on the shore power heating. Nothing else is involved in shore power heating. IIRC the newer heaters have a switch that looks like the propane switch. This sends 12 volts to the heater to operate a relay that puts shore power on the heating element.

This may be helpful:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/att...8&d=1507399724

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:29 AM   #3
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Thanks Al, checking your link.

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
Old 12-01-2017, 08:45 AM   #4
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi wave man,

Congratulations on your new Airstream and sorry to learn about the issue you mentioned in your post.

Please feel free to send us a private message or reach out to our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 if you need additional assistance.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:59 AM   #5
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
That is much appreciated! Will be calling in a few minutes!

Old 12-01-2017, 11:16 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Did the water heater EVER have the electric turned on when there was no water in it? If that happened, in a flash, the electric heater element would have burned out and would need to be replaced.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:01 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Portland , Oregon
My Bambi has a rocker switch for water heater, so does that mean its gas only?
insleeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by insleeg View Post
My Bambi has a rocker switch for water heater, so does that mean its gas only?
If you only have one switch, it's gas. Electric adds another switch, either on the same panel as the propane switch, or a separate residential type toggle switch, at least in my experience.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:01 AM   #9
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY24 View Post
Did the water heater EVER have the electric turned on when there was no water in it? If that happened, in a flash, the electric heater element would have burned out and would need to be replaced.

Nope, will remember this for sure though...

Old 12-04-2017, 11:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave man View Post
Nope, will remember this for sure though...
Is the water heater working now? Per your telconf with AS?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:13 AM   #11
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Problem solved swiftly by the selling dealer here in Houston(Katy).

They really came through - having me in on Saturday (the next day) and replacing a power control board I think it was...they grumbled about crummy electronics these days and I was on my way home in an hour or two.

Spent the time chatting with other folks shopping for an RV or in for a part and so on.

All in all good practice packing and moving on short notice, and the trailer handled it all with no issues.

The trailer has been problem free up to now, the only gripe I have is discovering how susceptible the floor is to damage. Really needs to be babied...it's rather soft which is good but it isn't as resilient as it perhaps could be. Need to find out if I can patch it up if needed. Because it will sooner or later, from things that wouldn't damage most floors...

Old 12-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Lake Jackson , Texas
Hot Water Heater (Electric)

We were on the road all of August and September. My Atwood Hot Water Heater (electric) quit working the first week out. We took it to Camper Clinic II in Buda, Texas at 9:00am. Three different techs worked on it at separate times. It was turned back to me at 5:30pm. It was supposed to be a three hour job. They replace the heating element. But found out later that they did not test it. When I got home it was still not working. I called Mobile RV Techs of Houston which found out it was a fried relay. Something Camper Clinic should have caught. Mobile RV Techs are supposed to be out today to replace the relay.
Tom
Taroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:33 PM   #13
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Glad to hear your problem was diagnosed without any more hassle, nice to hear about Mobile RV Techs, will look them up and keep the number handy!

Old 12-08-2017, 06:48 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Lake Jackson , Texas
Replacing the relay did not work. They are going to replace the heating element again. Not sure about all this.

Taroni
Taroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #15
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Geez...

Well, I can see how if they can't immediately test their diagnosis it'd be pretty frustrating when it creates more delays because they were wrong ...

Of course maybe they were right but missed the cause of the fried relay... seems like a story I've heard on this forum before...where the real problem is causing other failures and staying hidden.

Hold em to their word and let them find the source maybe, I'd have a problem paying for their failures and would tell em so. Sometimes it's a process to get to the bottom of a problem..

Best of Luck hope it's resolved asap

Old 01-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #16
Coast6wa

Dallas , Texas
camper clinic II is a dud

We also went to camper clinic and got similar shoddy work. They didn't fix either of our problems and told us we need a new AC unit because the breaker trips when I use it and any other amp pulling item. Hmmm, could this be because we only have 30 amps! No mention of that. Now we are without a water heater or city water. Not going there again!!
Coast6wa is offline   Reply With Quote