Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2022, 03:33 PM   #1

2022 20' Basecamp
Henderson , Texas
Water Heater issue.

Hi everyone! New user!

I have a water heater issue. I have a 2022 Basecamp 20X and I can’t seem to get the hot water heater working correctly. Sometimes it’ll work great for about five seconds then it won’t work at all. Then other times it will run hot, then cold, then hot. Though of the two issues, working for a moment then not at all seems to be the more common problem. Has anyone else had this issue? Any fixes come to mind? Any help would be appreciated.
TBSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 03:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I don't have a base camp. But I'd suggest running the on board pump if you haven't done so already. Run all faucets. If you have an outside shower/faucet, run that too.

Maybe some others will join in with recommendations.

Good luck!

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 03:51 PM   #3
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Not familiar with the Basecamp but is it a tank type water heater? If so is it set on BYPASS on the valves. See manual for valve details. Has it ever worked correctly?

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 07:43 PM   #4

2022 20' Basecamp
Henderson , Texas
It is the new suburban tankless water heater. I am not sure if those have a bypass valve. This is my first time taking it out, so no it hasn't.
Old 03-15-2022, 08:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
A common problem with home tankless heaters is the low-flow faucets cause the heater repeatedly cycle on and off.

It you run the water on high does the water heater act as expected?
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 09:24 PM   #6

2022 20' Basecamp
Henderson , Texas
No, because I use the faucet that came with the basecamp and it still does it.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:12 AM   #7
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Suburban tankless, OK specific model info, number? Then folks can try to find resources.

Is there a troubleshooting guide in the Suburban owners manual?
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 03-16-2022, 09:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Have you tried setting the temp so you don't use any cold water?

I've read there is an adjustment to reduce the flow rate required to turn on the heat.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 11:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post

I've read there is an adjustment to reduce the flow rate required to turn on the heat.
This is what I’ve tried at home so that the tankless water heater is forced to run all the time when running hot water. Otherwise, it can cycle on/off repeatedly because the flow is not high enough to keep the water heater running, resulting in hot/cold cycles and the user chasing the temperature with the mixer valve. Not so much fun while showering but it does shorten your shower.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 12:08 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Felton , California
Quote:

We picked up our 2022 20X on Friday. Our instructor recommended that we set the water temp so that "full on" is the preferred "hot" temperature. Other's advice about low flow not allowing the unit to cycle on is dead on (in my opinion).

Our last trailer had the same water heater. They are efficient, but the on demand feature has some drawbacks. For instance, when using the exterior shower, the dribble feature (if you don't know what that is, you learn when you use the shower) doesn't provide enough flow to keep the heater on. You end up with the line (pipes) full of cold water until you run it for several seconds.
JA15830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:06 AM   #11

2022 20' Basecamp
Golden , Co
Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBSP View Post
Hi everyone! New user!

I have a water heater issue. I have a 2022 Basecamp 20X and I can’t seem to get the hot water heater working correctly. Sometimes it’ll work great for about five seconds then it won’t work at all. Then other times it will run hot, then cold, then hot. Though of the two issues, working for a moment then not at all seems to be the more common problem. Has anyone else had this issue? Any fixes come to mind? Any help would be appreciated.

I’m having the same issue. I bought my 2022 Basecamp 20x in April. Still trying to figure it out.
abondura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 12:42 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Fort Calhoun , NE
I had similar symptoms and replacing the mixing valve didn't fix it. I finally disconnected the hot water output line from the mixing valve and blew it out with compressed air (after removing the aerator from the faucet furthest downstream. I must of had some type of blockage but it seems to work well now. I have yet to take it out camping after the "fix", though. That'll happen in mid July.
klpauba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:00 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
There are 2 main issues that could be causing this in a new rig with a tankless WH. First is stuff in the lines blocking mixing valves or creating restrictions. That can happen on any new rig. Second is how a tankless WH works.

Tankless WHs need flow. When flow (demand) is called for, it instantly fires to heat the water. When flow goes too far down, it stops heating due to low demand. Sometimes, especially in the summer, when the water hose is coiled up outside, the ‘cold’ water is actually warm and it can influence how hot you adjust the water temp at the handle. That can make you set it too low and the WH will not fire for long enough and you will eventually end up with cold water.

It is counterintuitive, but to get more hot water, you can adjust the water temp DOWN. That will make you ask for more hot water and keep the WH firing. Another ‘cheat’ way is to turn on hot water at the sink. That will create a constant demand for hot water and you can run the shower colder (what tends to happen to us in the summer).

Just my thoughts after learning the difference in the instant HW heater and the traditional tank heaters.
Old 06-22-2022, 03:36 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Felton , California
LilPeanut is Correct

Turn your hot water heater down to the temp you want for showers. The idea is to never mix hot and cold water. If you want hot water, turn only the hot side on - never mix. You should get a constant flow of hot water. The kitchen faucets in the 2022's are pretty low flow. You may still get the hot/cold issue depending on how low you set the water temp.
JA15830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:08 PM   #15

2022 20' Basecamp
Henderson , Texas
Okay OP here, this is going to make me look very stupid but it may help I don't know. So... I noticed it after watching the airstream video of him explaining how to use it for the thousandth time. When setting the heat you have to press the power button, then select your temp, then press the power button again. I wasn't doing the second power button. I know it's dumb but that appears to be the magic bullet for making it work. You may now all mock me mercilessly.

Hope this helps Abondura

p.s. Also put it on like 108 and don't turn on the cold water, like the other poster said, it will immediately turn off the minute you turn on the cold.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:47 AM   #16
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
No mocking, you deserve an atta boy for reporting your conclusion.
Old 06-23-2022, 10:12 AM   #17
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
X2
I didn't know you had to press the power button a second time either. I've only used my shower twice and it didn't work right for me either, even though I had set it for 95 degrees.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:48 AM   #18

Canmore , AB
Basecamp Water Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBSP View Post
Hi everyone! New user!

I’m at a loss….We have a 2021 Basecamp 20X with a Suburban tankless water system….an on demand system just doesn’t cut the mustard in any RV, unless your hooked up to a sewer/shore water supply. It’s not for boondocking. We bought the trailer new and have taken it back to the dealer several times, complaining about the water system….of course they say there is nothing wrong….and the system works just fine, as long as there is DEMAND, meaning if you leave the hot water tap in the kitchen wide open all the time, the heater stays on, leading to nice hot water! So we were given a quote by the dealer yo install a 6 gal conventional hot water system, i.e. electric/propane DSI system. After considerable thought and posting on an Airstream Forum, we decided to have the dealer install the conventional system. However, upon putting in an order, the dealer tells me there is no room for a Suburban DSI system….now what do I do….the dealer is telling me that a Truma system will fit and they will quote me on that…I’m beginning to regret buying the Basecamp….and we bought it based on Airstreams reputation and marketing the Basecamp 20X to off-road and boondock!
Raven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:55 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Globetrotter
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Mcgregor , Texas
We have a 2022 Globetrotter 25fb with this GAS only on demand water heater. You will fill up the gray tank fast waiting for hot water when even washing dishes. One resolution to this is to get a plastic pop up sink and catch the cold water while waiting on the hot. That's assuming you are not dry camping. Then throw the cold water that was wasted waiting on the hot outside. Not having an electric option like we did in our Interstate Lounge is a bummer.
Rickeyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:46 PM   #20

2022 20' Basecamp
Victor , Idaho
Been there done that!

Picked up our new BC 20X in May 22, and have had the same issue since. Been trying everything, and thought we had it when I hit the heater “reset” button (not easily reached)……..but failure again.
One would think that the “pressure issue” would be eliminated by using city water hook up, but NO.
This is a pain.