Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2020, 09:57 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
Water Heater Indicator Light

We have a 2018 GT and just finished our first trip. One of the things I noticed is that when we turn on the water heater, the red light flickers, then goes out and never comes back on. I suspect a loose connection, but haven't removed the panel yet. Just to confirm correct behavior, is the light supposed to come on whenever the heater is on, or does it just come on once the water is hot? I would assume whenever the switch is on the light should be on.

Thanks in advance!
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
That is the way it is supposed to work. If the red light comes on and stays you, you have a fault.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
As the previous poster noted, what you are seeing is normal operation.

You flip the switch to on, the control board in the water heater directs the igniter to “on”, opens the solenoid valve to start the gas flow and the monitors the thermocouple in the flame path. Assuming it lit off as normal, the light goes out and stays out. It will cycle on and off with demand but requires no further action.

Some things you may see:

After the trailer has sat with the propane shut off, you can get air in the lines. So, you flip the switch, the cycle starts, the light goes off and then, horrors, it comes back on. Did you turn the gas back on? If you did, try again and it may take a third try but it should purge and begin to work normally.

You get up in the morning and the light is on. Try the stove, you are probably out of propane. Check and make sure both tanks are on. Try manually selecting the other tank. All else fails, buy more propane.

Boards do fail. When/if that happens, go with an after-market board from Dinosaur.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:21 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
Oh, so it's a warning light! Well, that explains a lot and saves me pulling the panel apart for no reason.
Thank you both!!
And now I'm a bit chagrined - this is probably covered in the owner's guide, isn't it?!

Thanks again.
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb75 View Post
And now I'm a bit chagrined - this is probably covered in the owner's guide, isn't it?!
Don't feel bad, I did the same. I only read the guide when things don't work like I expected.
But, a smart member here devised a mod where a pair of tiny LEDs light for Gas or Electric. I find it's easy to leave the WH on when you don't need to. A light is a great idea.
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...rs-191357.html
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
It’s the “Guy Code” — never read the instructions until you see or smell smoke...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Well, for total confusion, my Dinosaur board makes the light behave differently, but that's life.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Well, for total confusion, my Dinosaur board makes the light behave differently, but that's life.
Larry
I fought my water heater from the day my Airstream was brand new. Spent tons of $$ trying to get the dealer to fix it and independent RV repairs shops to do the same. Finally gave up and installed a Dinosaur board this summer. It worked for one trip. On the last trip, the dreaded red light came on when I flipped the switch and the heater won't fire again.

I give up
Old 09-04-2020, 06:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My water heater light flickers red when trying to light, then goes out once that is successful.

If it keeps repeatedly trying to light, then you may have a problem.

Maggie
Old 09-04-2020, 07:35 AM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Yes, as stated, the red light on the water heater switch flicks on ever so briefly when you turn it on. This applies whether you turn on gas or electric. If the red light is on steady, that indicates that the water heater has encountered a problem and is not on and heating water. One additional "good to know" thing is if the water is already heated to the target temperature and you turn one of the switches on, the red light will not even flicker. You may encounter this situation if, for instance, you heat the water with gas and turn it off and then turn on the electric water heater function, the light will not flicker as the water is already to temperature.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We (hubby) added a light that stays lit when the water heater is on. We don't leave it on all the time, waste of propane and we don't have electric feature. He also added a timer so we can light the water heater before we get up in the morning and have hot water ready when we get up. Then we can turn it on manually later in the day if we need to. Unless it's cold out, water tends to stay hot the whole day so I still have hot for dishes after dinner most days.

Fun little mods that we love!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:34 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ventura County , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
We (hubby) added a light that stays lit when the water heater is on. We don't leave it on all the time, waste of propane and we don't have electric feature. He also added a timer so we can light the water heater before we get up in the morning and have hot water ready when we get up. Then we can turn it on manually later in the day if we need to. Unless it's cold out, water tends to stay hot the whole day so I still have hot for dishes after dinner most days.

Fun little mods that we love!

Kay
Exactly what we did . Little green led . That way we know if it is on or off . We only turn ours on when needed then it goes off . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote