Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2004, 12:05 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Water Heater Door... Safari Tim?

Tim, inspired by your step by step guide, I managed with great effort to remove the Bowen water heater (had to drag it out using a tow-rope and my truck).

Now I have a big hole in my wall. I just want to remove the door from the Bowen and plug the hole for the time being until the fall when I put an Atwood in there. I have run a water to by-pass the heater for now. But I read that you removed your door and switched the Atwood door for the Bowen.

Any help on how to remove door would be appreciated.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP01910.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	8149   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP01907.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	8150  

TroutStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 01:00 AM   #2
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Smile Don't blame me!

Yikes you got a big hole there!

You opening looks different from mine. It looks taller and narrower.

Anyway, on removing the old cover, all it takes is popping the little metal hinge wires out of their slots and the door comes off.

When I put the door on the new heater, I added a screw across the metal tab to keep the pin from falling out while under way.

Since you will not have a water heater there for some time, you will have to fashion a different way to hold the cover in place.

Let me know if you need some specific pictures or anything else.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 09:08 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Tim!

I think the hole looks bigger because of the perspective (I hope that's the case!) I've been told the Atwood will slide right in. If the new one slides in the way the old one slid out, then I'm in trouble as I literally had to drag it out with my truck!

I may break down and buy the Atwood this week but I won't have time to put it in before we go away this weekend (2 weeks). We're going to a provincial campgroud (BC) where we will be using the water pump. The park has hot showers and flush toilets but no hook-ups.

Thanks for the help!

Ken
TroutStream is offline   Reply With Quote