Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2007, 08:50 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Michelle,

It is a tad scary how some parts folks (and other firm employees) view their role in the whole customer satisfaction/customer retention as either not being important, or they are not trained sufficiently or motivated enough to go the extra mile when a client calls in - whether it's a local or long distance caller. Just being able to go to the correct schematic for your trailer is a huge confidence builder. Trying to figure out why a part is not shown in the parts catalogue yet is a component of what the client has is an important part of their role if they are going to be effective and gain your trust and hard earned dollars. You are fortunate that the relay is available from an alternate source and that you are knowledgeable enough to know that and to acquire it there.

Today I picked up the replacement bearings for the '57 I'd ordered 10 days ago. As I suspected and feared, I only got part of the shipment as the order taker was not listening when I explained what it was I needed, and also was not listening when I asked him to make sure he made a note that I required all of the parts that were indicated as included in the kit and not just what they happened to have on the shelf that day - no backorders - hold it till it is all in stock. The shipper "forgot" to include the gaskets and one of the seals, did not take notice of the hold until kit complete, and when I called to find out what happened did his best to lay the blame on the order taker, however, it was all right there on the shipping papers so there were a few embarrassing moments for the young lad.

Fortunately the machine shop who pressed the old bearings off and new ones on happened to have sitting on a shelf the correct seal and their parts guy knew what was in stock, what fit what, and was concerned that I might not be able to get my TV back on the road in time for our trip next week if we couldn't find the pieces. Then to make my experience with them even better, given it's an odd seal for axles they almost never see any more, they gave it to me. I'll make my own gaskets. But I'm hugely impressed with them and I will make sure my car club buddies are all aware of how customer focused they are. As for the parts supplier, everyone makes mistakes, but I'll be more cautious about ordering from them in the future.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:00 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Safari 57, Barry, You're right about the light bulbs - I'm still running the original T-3 high beams in my '64 Star Chief. Don't drive much at night anymore, but they're still working after 43 years. Hope to see you in August at the Demming rally. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:56 PM   #23
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Followup followup

I just placed an order for a Solid state relay. 3-32 volts control and 12-275 VAC up to 50AMP load. That is over three times the max load I expect. A small heat sink will be necessary but that will not be a problem. It should be here Monday. Just in time to install it before I head to Boise.
I seriously thought about a automotive relay but could not find out if the insulation is rated for 120VAC. I went the safe route and ordered a special purpose one.

Lew stop by if you apasing through!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:25 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Water heater repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I just placed an order for a Solid state relay. 3-32 volts control and 12-275 VAC up to 50AMP load. That is over three times the max load I expect. A small heat sink will be necessary but that will not be a problem. It should be here Monday. Just in time to install it before I head to Boise.
I seriously thought about a automotive relay but could not find out if the insulation is rated for 120VAC. I went the safe route and ordered a special purpose one.

Lew stop by if you apasing through!
Hi Michelle, I'm trying to figure out where this relay is on my unit and exactly what part I should order to fix mine. I've looked at the outside of my unit and of course can see the propane part of the heater. I can also see where the wires connect. However, where I suppose the relay is located its covered by a black insulated cover material with adhesive. I started to pull the small rectangular insulated cover off but didn't have time to mess with it the other day.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:39 AM   #25

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
It is on the back. I got to it through the bathroom. There is a panel next to my toilet. I removed it and was staring at the back of the water heater.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:45 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Heating element location

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
It is on the back. I got to it through the bathroom. There is a panel next to my toilet. I removed it and was staring at the back of the water heater.
Thanks, I'll got look in there next week when I get home from work.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #27

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Finally installed.

An installation update. I finally got around to fixing my water heater. I know she is still under warranty but I was having trouble finding the replacement parts. I got all my parts and finally had a day off with time to install the parts.
I removed the old relay. Installed the new solid state relay and heat sink. It is mounted higher in the compartment than I wanted but I was able to get it vertical so convection cooling can occur.

The test works!

The first picture was the old install.
The second is the new one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0537.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	41563   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0539.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	41564  

Old 07-21-2007, 05:19 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hey Michelle,

Nice job!

You were probably on the road when I passed thru Boise last month. Had a stop to make at Best RV Supply there. Randy is a great guy and carries super stuff!

Maybe we'll catch up somewhere on the road....................
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:52 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Orange city , Florida
Send a message via AIM to SLVRSRFR
Relays are Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Relays seem to be the bane of the mechanic. They are small and relatively inexpensive, why not get a spare one, for when it really does go south on you?
Hey, hey, hey, now... Relays are one of the greatest electric apparatuses ever invented next to the transistor! Now yes they do wear out. Lots of moving parts and small arcing upon closing of the contacts. But hey how else are we going to use LOVO for control circuits? Im just giving you a hard time overlander63. Some one has to keep these Moderators in check jk
SLVRSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote