Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Water Heater didn't ignite ?

I have a gas electric water heater Atwood , When I went to start it it wouldn't ignite on gas the red light didn't come on and it didn't even try to light . So I switched it to electric and it warmed up right away . This was at 10pm when I wanted to take a shower . After I took my shower I turned off the electric and it fired right up . I left it on gas for the 3 days I was camping and had hot water all weekend . It sounds to me that maybe the switch on the wall is bad anybody have any ideas ? it's in my 2000 Excella and I'm sure it's original to the coach.
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
If it is like most of the WH I have seen the red light only comes on when the gas does not light. It is a fault light. Not sure what happened the first time you tried it. If the light did not come on in 2 min or so it should be heating. Maybe they have changed. I guess I am current to 1988.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The light should come on and then turn off upon ignition. If it fails to ignite, the light comes back on, and the cycle repeats. If it does not ignite after a few cycles, the light comes on and stays on until you turn the switch off and try the sequence over again. Failure of the initial red light could be a switch or the wiring to the board. Try cleaning the connections and see if the problem continues. Could be a failing board as well.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:38 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
The light should come on and then turn off upon ignition. If it fails to ignite, the light comes back on, and the cycle repeats. If it does not ignite after a few cycles, the light comes on and stays on until you turn the switch off and try the sequence over again. Failure of the initial red light could be a switch or the wiring to the board. Try cleaning the connections and see if the problem continues. Could be a failing board as well.
I'll need to check things out I just down loader the manual so I know what I'm looking at when I work on it .
Thanks for the reply . Les
Old 09-20-2017, 05:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Good advice esp loose or corroded connections everywhere.

What does the owner's manual say?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:43 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
You may just have air in our line. I have the problem some times and I just try the water heater again, maybe 3 times and it always lights. Lighting the stove helps.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:14 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Parnell , Iowa
There a thermal coupler in the Elric line that can go bad. Spade connesters at either end. If I remember right the red light didn't come on at all if that was bad and the water heater would not even try to light. We have a spare now. Need a multi meter to check for sure. Good luck.
Ste and Bre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Mine won't start if it is real humid outside. Shorts out the sparker.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste and Bre View Post
There a thermal coupler in the Elric line that can go bad. Spade connesters at either end. If I remember right the red light didn't come on at all if that was bad and the water heater would not even try to light. We have a spare now. Need a multi meter to check for sure. Good luck.
This is what he's talking about.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007XXTVC/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1RBC3JKTBTWOL&colid=S6UTLHJ PD6G8

You can test by taking it out and using a wire to temporarily connect the input and output and see if it works. Then you know if you need to get new one. Went through this a couple months ago and this is what it was for me. My water heater relief valve dripped on it and the hot water was enough to cause it to melt.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the link, here is a hot version.

Not sure if the OP's 2000 Excella water heater has one, but a friend's thermal cut-off went bad, so we got an extra for our parts bin:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007XXTVC...6UTLHJ%20PD6G8

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- woodfox45, if you continue to have problems with ignition on propane, you might want to search above, in the blue search box, for "spider insect nest flue problem" as nests there can affect ignition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste and Bre View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
This is what he's talking about.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007XXTVC...d=S6UTLHJPD6G8

You can test by taking it out and using a wire to temporarily connect the input and output and see if it works. Then you know if you need to get new one. Went through this a couple months ago and this is what it was for me. My water heater relief valve dripped on it and the hot water was enough to cause it to melt.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:51 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Thanks for all the tips It's at the storage lot will be bringing it home next week when it gets cooler to give it it's fall clean up and wax job . And check out the water heater problem .
Les
Old 09-21-2017, 09:16 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Parnell , Iowa
Sorry for the spelling. That's what I get for posting at the camp fire. Vacation is over tomorrow. Leaving Mueller state park tomorrow. 5 Airstreams were here during our time. Aspens almost fully turned.
Ste and Bre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
I brought it home this week to wax and winterize the water heater started up several times so until it happens again I'll leave it be .
Thanks to all ,
Les
Old 10-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Atwood control board can fail in wet weather...

Elsewhere in the forums I read that if the water heater won't light in wet weather and will light in dry weather that either dirty connector contacts or the controller itself may be faulty.

I bought a new controller to solve my problem last summer, but this year the old water heater started to leak and I replaced it.

If you want a circuit board that's practically new (Dinosaur UIB S) you can check out eBay. I have mine listed there right now. I'm Richard319 on eBay.

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote